My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Replace the HDD on a HDR-1000S

(12 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

fm49218 - 3 mins ago  » 

Sticko - 1 mnth ago  » 
    I'm having problems with my HDR-1000S. Occasional freezing and juddering sound. I suspect the HDD. Is there a way to check it? Is it easy to swap out?

The hard drive is pretty easy to replace. You can get a 1 TB HDD, on Amazon, for £35. If you have a 500 GB unit then this will upgrade your unit as well as prove if the HDD is or is not causing your fault. What I haven’t tried is running an SSD drive instead. In theory this should be quicker and disperse less heat.
    I’m guessing if it’s the GUI that is juddering, and this is more about the software/hardware and the NVM that the unit is run on. The theory applies to set-top boxes as it does to mobile phones. As firmware and software is improved and new features are released the original hardware cannot always cope with the requirements of the software. I have noticed the interface is choppy.

A SSD will not make the box quicker. The Sata hard drives currently used can handle way more HD streams than the tuners can generate.

| Wed 6 Jan 2021 11:00:31 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

fm49218

grahamlthompson - 20 hours ago  » 

fm49218 - 3 mins ago  » 

Sticko - 1 mnth ago  » 
    I'm having problems with my HDR-1000S. Occasional freezing and juddering sound. I suspect the HDD. Is there a way to check it? Is it easy to swap out?

The hard drive is pretty easy to replace. You can get a 1 TB HDD, on Amazon, for £35. If you have a 500 GB unit then this will upgrade your unit as well as prove if the HDD is or is not causing your fault. What I haven’t tried is running an SSD drive instead. In theory this should be quicker and disperse less heat.
    I’m guessing if it’s the GUI that is juddering, and this is more about the software/hardware and the NVM that the unit is run on. The theory applies to set-top boxes as it does to mobile phones. As firmware and software is improved and new features are released the original hardware cannot always cope with the requirements of the software. I have noticed the interface is choppy.

A SSD will not make the box quicker. The Sata hard drives currently used can handle way more HD streams than the tuners can generate.

Thanks

My unit has a Seagate ST3500312CS. This is a pipeline drive which supports at least 10 simultaneous high-definition or standard-definition video streams and is used in many sky boxes too.

| Thu 7 Jan 2021 7:51:42 #12 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.