My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Replacing internal HDD with SSD

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cs2017

Is it feasible to replace the HDD in the HDR 2000T with an equivalent SSD ? The HDD in my unit is quite noisy (despite being quite new), so I wondered if an SSD could be fitted, given that modern drives have long lives.

Does the OS reside on the HDD, or is this booted from elsewhere ?

| Tue 27 Jun 2017 15:16:31 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The OS is in NVRAM as is the recording schedule so no issue there. I would though be a bit wary of using a SSD because of the constant writing and re-writing of the time shift buffer file. The 2TB Seagate pipeline I have in my HDR-1000S is very very quiet.

| Tue 27 Jun 2017 15:45:04 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Noise from the hdd in the 2000 is a common problem reported on myhumax. Reported as not from the disk itself but the mounting. Search the forum. As stated, unless you buy something like a Samsung PRO disk ( expensive! ) You may encounter lifetime write issues.

| Tue 27 Jun 2017 15:52:36 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 13 minutes ago  » 
    I would though be a bit wary of using a SSD because of the constant writing and re-writing of the time shift buffer file.

That is incorrect; the controller on the SSD will spread the wear across the drive. A Samsung Evo SSD is rated at 40GB a day for a least 3 years and a Samsung Pro will do 40GB a day for 5 years.

| Tue 27 Jun 2017 16:04:06 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

cs2017

It sounds like an intermittent clunking noise even when the HDD shouldn't be doing anything.

| Tue 27 Jun 2017 16:04:54 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 30 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 13 minutes ago  » 
    I would though be a bit wary of using a SSD because of the constant writing and re-writing of the time shift buffer file.

That is incorrect; the controller on the SSD will spread the wear across the drive. A Samsung Evo SSD is rated at 40GB a day for a least 3 years and a Samsung Pro will do 40GB a day for 5 years.

How does that work when the file in question is a fixed size one constantly being overwritten. I can see it not being an issue when you write a file and the next time you overwrite it completely. The file is re-written from the start every time you change channel but the content beyond the point you have got to is still there as you can see if you copy the timeshift file from a Foxsat-HDR.

| Tue 27 Jun 2017 16:39:01 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    How does that work when the file in question is a fixed size one constantly being overwritten.

The file system thinks it is writing to the same block but at a lower level the controller keeps a map between the physical blocks and the logical blocks seen by the file system. Potentially each time the logical block is written to, the controller chooses a different physical block. Also most modern controllers will periodically move static data around to ensure the number of writes per block is roughly the same.

| Tue 27 Jun 2017 18:05:11 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Hi

You are not the only one complaining about the 2000T noise.

It can be improved by damping the hard drive and lid but it takes a bit of work and will void the warranty.

I have lessened the noise with dampers under the drive and damping the lid mounts....essentially the casing amplified the noise and I have never heard a drive with such noisy heads which seem to return to rest regularly

Its a question of what its worth spending on it. Another sata drive should improve matters. I just havent got round to that yet because why should I be spending out on something that should have been quiet in the first place.

| Tue 27 Jun 2017 21:35:52 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

cs2017

Minstrel SE - 12 hours ago  » 

Its a question of what its worth spending on it. Another sata drive should improve matters. I just havent got round to that yet because why should I be spending out on something that should have been quiet in the first place.

Yes, I had the HDD on my iMac replaced with a 500GB SSD from Crucial last year, and that cost around £130 including the 2.5-3.5" adapter, which is almost as much as a new PVR.

| Wed 28 Jun 2017 10:37:31 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

cs2017 - 1 day ago  » 
    It sounds like an intermittent clunking noise even when the HDD shouldn't be doing anything.

That's quite normal for a HDD. The problem you have is that the 2000T was built down to a price point i.e. penny pinching. It's basically a tin box with zero soundproofing. I have a 2000T myself, but I also have one of its siblings, the BT Youview box. This is less than half it's size, has a plastic case and uses a 2.5" HDD not a 3.5" and is as quiet as the grave.

It would be an interesting exercise to fit a 2.5" HDD in a 2000T to see the results. I suspect that too would then be much quieter.

| Wed 28 Jun 2017 22:53:39 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.