My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Replacing internal HDD with SSD

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cs2017

Faust - 12 hours ago  » 

cs2017 - 1 day ago  » 
    It sounds like an intermittent clunking noise even when the HDD shouldn't be doing anything.

That's quite normal for a HDD. The problem you have is that the 2000T was built down to a price point i.e. penny pinching. It's basically a tin box with zero soundproofing. I have a 2000T myself, but I also have one of its siblings, the BT Youview box. This is less than half it's size, has a plastic case and uses a 2.5" HDD not a 3.5" and is as quiet as the grave.
    It would be an interesting exercise to fit a 2.5" HDD in a 2000T to see the results. I suspect that too would then be much quieter.

That's interesting.
    Can the BT box be used without subscribing to BT ?

| Thu 29 Jun 2017 11:09:52 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

cs2017 - 1 day ago  » 

Minstrel SE - 12 hours ago  » 
    Its a question of what its worth spending on it. Another sata drive should improve matters. I just havent got round to that yet because why should I be spending out on something that should have been quiet in the first place.

Yes, I had the HDD on my iMac replaced with a 500GB SSD from Crucial last year, and that cost around £130 including the 2.5-3.5" adapter, which is almost as much as a new PVR.

Exactly! Everybody goes oh just pop another drive in but the only cheap ones are used from a dodgy trade shop and I could be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

I will probably do it one day...a 2.5" drive(if they do the job) is tempting as it should be much quieter or perhaps a 3.5" 2GB if it will accept that storage.

I have lessened the noise so its acceptable for now. It was a shock though as Ive never heard a hard drive based product so unacceptably noisy

| Thu 29 Jun 2017 13:36:59 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

cs2017 - 4 hours ago  » 

Faust - 12 hours ago  » 

cs2017 - 1 day ago  » 
    It sounds like an intermittent clunking noise even when the HDD shouldn't be doing anything.

That's quite normal for a HDD. The problem you have is that the 2000T was built down to a price point i.e. penny pinching. It's basically a tin box with zero soundproofing. I have a 2000T myself, but I also have one of its siblings, the BT Youview box. This is less than half it's size, has a plastic case and uses a 2.5" HDD not a 3.5" and is as quiet as the grave.
    It would be an interesting exercise to fit a 2.5" HDD in a 2000T to see the results. I suspect that too would then be much quieter.

That's interesting.
    Can the BT box be used without subscribing to BT ?

Absolutely, you will find them in Argos among other retailers.

| Thu 29 Jun 2017 15:36:01 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Minstrel SE - 2 hours ago  » 

cs2017 - 1 day ago  » 

Minstrel SE - 12 hours ago  » 
    Its a question of what its worth spending on it. Another sata drive should improve matters. I just havent got round to that yet because why should I be spending out on something that should have been quiet in the first place.

Yes, I had the HDD on my iMac replaced with a 500GB SSD from Crucial last year, and that cost around £130 including the 2.5-3.5" adapter, which is almost as much as a new PVR.

Exactly! Everybody goes oh just pop another drive in but the only cheap ones are used from a dodgy trade shop and I could be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
    I will probably do it one day...a 2.5" drive(if they do the job) is tempting as it should be much quieter or perhaps a 3.5" 2GB if it will accept that storage.
    I have lessened the noise so its acceptable for now. It was a shock though as Ive never heard a hard drive based product so unacceptably noisy

I think all you would need is a 3.5" to 2.5" HDD adapter. They are very cheap and lots of places stock them. I can't see why a 2.5" drive wouldn't work. You would simply need the type that Humax uses in the BT Youview box.

| Thu 29 Jun 2017 15:39:11 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

nbauers

cs2017 - 3 years ago  » 
    Is it feasible to replace the HDD in the HDR 2000T with an equivalent SSD ? The HDD in my unit is quite noisy (despite being quite new), so I wondered if an SSD could be fitted, given that modern drives have long lives.
    Does the OS reside on the HDD, or is this booted from elsewhere ?

I have just replaced the original disk with a 2TB solid state disk. I had to convert the disk from GUID Partition Table (GPT) to Master Boot Record (MBR). Please note that MBR has a 2TB size limit. I formatted the disk to NTFS. My 2000T recognised the disk when powered on and asked me to use the menu to re-format the disk. This only took a few seconds. The free disk space is a little below 2TB, as expected. There is a case for avoiding solid state disks but more recent SS disks are likely to have an excellent lifespan even in this heavy duty disk writing environment, perhaps better than mechanical disks which always wear out in the end. And it's totally silent and runs cooler than the old disk. The disk was a snug fit under the original mounting frame. That blocks a few air holes but it runs cooler so I doubt if this will be a problem. I'm expecting a faster response time loading the list of recorded programmes.

| Wed 14 Oct 2020 12:13:32 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

nbauers - 14 mins ago  » 
    I have just replaced the original disk with a 2TB solid state disk. I had to convert the disk from GUID Partition Table (GPT) to Master Boot Record (MBR). Please note that MBR has a 2TB size limit.

Interesting. Please could you tell us what make and model of SSD you have fitted? It will be interesting to hear how you get on in the long term so please pop back every year or so and let us know how it is doing.

| Wed 14 Oct 2020 12:31:20 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SF54

I recently swapped a failing 1TB HDD in my 2000T for a 1TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD. It is working fine after a bit of fiddling with installation.

As the SSD is a 2.5in device I used a conversion tray. The screws for this didn't match and I had to cobble together nuts and bolts to fix it in position. One other problem was the tray positioned the SSD in the centre of the plastic box which has a cutout for cabling on one side only so I had to remove the box and enlarge the cutout to get the cable to fit.

When installed and formatted there are 3 partitions on the disk, one of which is labelled reserve and takes about 110GB.

| Thu 29 Sep 2022 13:07:15 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SF54 - 5 hours ago  » 
    When installed and formatted there are 3 partitions on the disk, one of which is labelled reserve and takes about 110GB.

So how much free space do you have?

| Thu 29 Sep 2022 18:32:45 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SF54

I get about 886GB free space.

| Thu 13 Oct 2022 15:05:30 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

SF54 - 4 hours ago  » 
    I get about 886GB free space.

How did you come to that figure?

Did you obtain 886GB from the data storage figures displayed via the Humax menus?

If it was from the Humax itself then that would account for your low free space number.

Some of the data storage figures on the Humax are incorrect.
    It mixes up different units of measure. Some rows are in GB and some rows are in GiB. To confuse matters even further it describes them all as "GB".

The total size is, as it states, "GB". But the Available Size that it reports is the GiB available size. It is not the GB available size despite its false claim that it is reporting GB.

GiB is not the same as GB.
    On the Humax data storage screen, the figures only add up because the reserved sized is then frigged to give an incorrect size, and is just a figure that makes it more obscure that some of the numbers are wrong.

| Thu 13 Oct 2022 20:15:03 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.