My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Replacing internal HDD with SSD

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MyGive

Has anyone put a solid state drive into a box and noticed a performance improvement? (Not focused on ssd drive and case temperature drop or any minor power usage drop)

Faster start up from energy saving mode?

Faster TV guide or faster youview menu or faster recording list load times?

Or any other performance gains I haven't mentioned?

| Mon 7 Nov 2022 13:57:58 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MyGive - 1 hour ago  » 
    Has anyone put a solid state drive into a box and noticed a performance improvement? (Not focused on ssd drive and case temperature drop or any minor power usage drop)
    Faster start up from energy saving mode?
    Or any other performance gains I haven't mentioned?

Various people have put SSD drives into various Humax boxes. I don't think anybody has reported any significant performance improvements. The main advantage is the absence of hard drive noise. I think the main limiting factor on the Humax PVRs is the CPU performance and on some models insufficient RAM.

| Mon 7 Nov 2022 15:49:45 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

MyGive - 10 hours ago  » 

You have posted this in a freeview forum. The youview forum for this site is at https://myhumax.org/forum/forum/dtr-t1000

Admin Edit: Moved, thanks.

In my opinion Martin Liddle's reply also applies to youview boxes.

Continuing this discussion in the wrong forum could get very will just get confusing as not every one may realise that you are not asking about the HDR-18000T/2000T.

Perhaps if admin could move your thread to the youview forum, and you then state which youview box, this could be discussed further.

| Tue 8 Nov 2022 0:33:42 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

MyGive

Just for reference, the 4 boxes i have:

BT branded DTR-T2100/500G/BT/DF
    HUMAX Branded DTR-T2000/GB/500B

Question: would replacing spinning disc to ssd drive to gain faster load\menu times?

I notice a (upto) 3 second lag in the youview menu image population.

| Tue 8 Nov 2022 19:25:00 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MyGive - 1 day ago  » 
    Just for reference, the 4 boxes i have:
    BT branded DTR-T2100/500G/BT/DF
    HUMAX Branded DTR-T2000/GB/500B
    Question: would replacing spinning disc to ssd drive to gain faster load\menu times?
    I notice a (upto) 3 second lag in the youview menu image population.

I don't have a Youview box so I can't give a definitive answer. My guess, for what little it is worth, is that it wouldn't help but there is only one way to find out for certain and that is to try it.

| Thu 10 Nov 2022 13:36:38 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

One of the youview boxes I have access to is the sagemcom youview box. My understanding is that it has the same structure for the basic operations as your youview boxes. It is also noticeably faster in operation although the start up time for cold is still almost a minute.

As it has a HDD, I suspect that is is the CPU, and possibly RAM, is making it faster. My guess is the increased speed is due to the CPU, and therefore I wouldn't expect an SSD to noticeably speed up the operation on your boxes.

But as Martin says "there is only one way to find out for certain and that is to try it".

| Thu 10 Nov 2022 17:08:34 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MyGive

Ok, it makes sense that the CPU and ram originally specified to the release version of software was up to the job.

Has the various updates over the years caused a slowdown?

Are the menu's (broadcasting and recorded) images stores on the box or pulled down each time the (BT youview box) menu is displayed?

I did notice that no images (or featured APPS logos) are shown when not connected to the internet. My various laptops, tablets and mobile phones all load image busy webpages quickly and if the page is stores in the cache its displayed immediately.

| Fri 11 Nov 2022 12:05:44 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

MyGive - 2 hours ago  » 

From my own personal experience with specifically a DTR-T2100 I would say not much since 2017, with the possible exception of the home page when they rotated the options through 90 degrees, but there are posts on other sites where the view is that it is has slowed down in addition to that. Possibly my view is different because I found it slow from the start and so usually expect slowness.

MyGive - 2 hours ago  » 
    Are the menu's (broadcasting and recorded) images stores on the box or pulled down each time the (BT youview box) menu is displayed?

They are pulled down each time.
    A youview representative on the youview site did mention in 2018 that was one of the changes being worked on, but there has been no mention of it since.

| Fri 11 Nov 2022 15:05:51 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

MyGive

Thanks everyone for taking the time to thoughtfully reply.

The DTR-T2100 was never snappy fast but it has got slower.
    Suprised to hear it pulled down menu images everytime I bring up the menu but it explains the president recurring gradual loading of the menu's images.

This menu load time being my main grip it seems like others have said that a ssd drive would not benefit the menu load time and it's the CPU and ram that now struggles to run the (youview menu) software.

BT Box
    DTR-T2100
    Varient: 84B08500
    Component S\W: 3.8.50 (535d02)
    Manufacturer S\W: 32.141.0

Luke - 1 day ago  » 

MyGive - 2 hours ago  » 

From my own personal experience with specifically a DTR-T2100 I would say not much since 2017, with the possible exception of the home page when they rotated the options through 90 degrees, but there are posts on other sites where the view is that it is has slowed down in addition to that. Possibly my view is different because I found it slow from the start and so usually expect slowness.

MyGive - 2 hours ago  » 

They are pulled down each time.
    A youview representative on the youview site did mention in 2018 that was one of the changes being worked on, but there has been no mention of it since.

| Sat 12 Nov 2022 18:00:51 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

MyGive

Just out of interest I've tried both a software and factory reset (keep recording) today but it didn't make any difference to the menu load time.

Attachments

1. IMG_725.jpg (479 KB, 0 downloads) 1 year old
    2. IMG_227.jpg (679.6 KB, 0 downloads) 1 year old
    | Sat 12 Nov 2022 18:47:40 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.