My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Resolution 2160p

(39 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

I'm using the 4000t connected to a 48" 4K Samsung TV via HDMI slot one.
    All the resolutions on the Humax menu work as expected except the 2160p setting. When I use this, my TV says that the Humax output is 720 / 576 50p (exactly the same as the 576p resolution menu choice).

I understood that 2160p is the correct setting for use with a 4K TV. Am I doing something wrong or is this another Humax "feature" ?

Thanks.

| Sat 23 Jul 2016 16:43:15 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bampsam

I've got exactly the same problem on my 49" Samsung. The 2160p resolution did work up until the last two software updates on the Humax. I have had a series of email communications with Humax,and the conclusion was they will look into a fix on the next update. Really annoying that it did work before!

| Sat 23 Jul 2016 17:48:45 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

giverny - 4 hours ago  » 
    I'm using the 4000t connected to a 48" 4K Samsung TV via HDMI slot one.
    All the resolutions on the Humax menu work as expected except the 2160p setting. When I use this, my TV says that the Humax output is 720 / 576 50p (exactly the same as the 576p resolution menu choice).
    I understood that 2160p is the correct setting for use with a 4K TV. Am I doing something wrong or is this another Humax "feature" ?
    Thanks.

Your TV will always display a 2160p picture whatever input resolution you input via HDMI. If the input signal has a lower vertical resolution than 2160 pixels it will re-scale the picture to create the extra pixels (Basically invent the missing pixels in a intelligent way). If it did not you would have a tiny picture in the middle of the screen. If the Humax now lacks the 2160p upscaling output, it's unlikely to make no difference at all. Only in the very unlikely event that the Humax upscales to 2160p better than your TV does would it produce a superior picture.

Basically if your Humax is set to output 1080p it will output Freeview-HD content at 1080p25 as is leaving the TV to complete the scaling required to fill the display screen. If you are watching a SD channel (the best ones are 720 x 576 interlaced), with the box set to 1080p the box upscales 720 x 576 to 1920 x 1080 and de-interlaces to progressive. The TV then upscales to UHD as it did for HD sources.

Set your box to output 576i (original for SD sources), the TV handles the whole re-scaling and de-interlacing process.

Only if you have a UHD source will it make any significant difference.
    Does the 4000T Netflix app give you access to any streamed UHD content ?

| Sat 23 Jul 2016 21:33:30 #4 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

Very interesting and I already know that my TV upscales but my question was why is the Humax not doing what it is supposed to do.

| Sat 23 Jul 2016 23:15:46 #5 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Elmojo

Yes very annoying Humax seem to care very little about removing semi working features and then to add insult to injury they think it is OK to not tell their customers. This is the second feature they have removed without a word of as to why. The first was CEC pass through. I have seen on here somewhere that the EPG is not written in house they have used a third party to do it. Not a bright idea at the best of times.

| Sun 24 Jul 2016 3:38:00 #6 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

giverny - 12 hours ago  » 
    Very interesting and I already know that my TV upscales but my question was why is the Humax not doing what it is supposed to do.

Does it actually say anywhere it is UHD capable ?

| Sun 24 Jul 2016 11:16:55 #7 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

If you look at the menu video resolution options, you can see for yourself all the supposed resolution capabilities.

| Sun 24 Jul 2016 12:42:23 #8 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

giverny - 1 hour ago  » 

If you look at the menu video resolution options, you can see for yourself all the supposed resolution capabilities.

I don't have the box to look at, only the advertised specs. Question did using the 2160p output improve the picture on your UHD TV compared to using the 1080p output ?

| Sun 24 Jul 2016 14:12:55 #9 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bampsam

grahamlthompson - 39 minutes ago  » 

giverny - 1 hour ago  » 

I don't have the box to look at, only the advertised specs. Question did using the 2160p output improve the picture on your UHD TV compared to using the 1080p output ?

If I may answer,it is a yes to your question. The 1080p resolution is very good,but the 2160p was a joy to watch,until Humax screwed it up with a software update.

| Sun 24 Jul 2016 14:55:12 #10 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bampsam - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 39 minutes ago  » 

giverny - 1 hour ago  » 

If I may answer,it is a yes to your question. The 1080p resolution is very good,but the 2160p was a joy to watch,until Humax screwed it up with a software update.

What make and model is the TV. Very surprised a relatively cheap set top box has a superior scaler to a UHD TV (unless of course it's a supermarket vestel special).

| Sun 24 Jul 2016 16:43:50 #11 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.