My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Slow motion.

(22 posts)
  1. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Maybe the latest model is not their finest hour, but the areas of functionality not working correctly are slowly getting sorted. New functionality (slo-mo for instance) is unlikely, IMHO, to become a feature as a result of consumer demand. I will persevere with mine and just say that am just grateful none have caught fire R-

| Wed 12 Oct 2016 12:26:35 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

RogerB - 43 minutes ago  » ...I will persevere with mine...

Wait around 12 months and then buy one of the Humax "refurbished" units for less then half new price. I bought two HB1000 which were indistinguishable from new in every respect. By that time they also will have fixed all the problems. Took around two years for them to get the Freesat boxes working OK. I now have a HDR1000S and three HB's, all working to spec, albeit the spec is seriously lacking in some usability features.

| Wed 12 Oct 2016 13:14:54 #12 |
  3. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Perhaps I'll wait 36 months and buy a 5000T (or whatever is next) having carefully read this forum. My 4000T although not perhaps the best purchase I have ever made, is certainly liveable with. R-

| Wed 12 Oct 2016 13:20:24 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

Thank you Pollensa and RogerB... Great idea. I've just ordered a refurb model hdr-2000t from Amazon for £89 with a 1 year guarantee. I hope I haven't just wasted my money . I'll give it a thorough testing and if it doesn't hack it, I'll send it back. The reviews seem mostly favourable and if it does the job for a couple of years, I'll be happy.

| Wed 12 Oct 2016 16:31:26 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Hi everyone.

I have just got a reply from Humax regarding the slow motion issue, and it don't look like it coming back, because they decided to remove this feature.
    I have copied and pasted the email.

Thank you for contacting Humax.

I'm afraid there is no technical reason to explain to you, we simply decided to remove this feature from our newer devices.

Best Regards,

JosephM
    Humax Customer Support

| Fri 14 Oct 2016 21:04:23 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

crashcris

Once again, thank you Bill. They just don't seem to care very much do they. I doubt it would be too difficult to have their machines do slo-mo like in the past, but they're not bothered to offer it now or in the future. Then again, considering all the problems on this site for all the most recent machines it doesn't seem that they're too bothered building a reliable, functional PVR at all. Well done for getting a reply.

| Fri 14 Oct 2016 23:01:03 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Hi crashcris

Well I did ask them if they may consider bringing it back in the near future, but they emailed me this, just as I thought.

I'm afraid there are no current plans for this feature to be re-added to our devices in the near future.

Best Regards,

JosephM
    Humax Customer Support
    Click here to complete our Customer Satisfaction Survey

So there you have it, the slow motion, the frame by frame feature gone with the old PVR's and VHS recorders forever, and bringing in the new features that don't work properly.

| Sun 16 Oct 2016 21:44:38 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

As I implied in post #5, Humax would have had a target mfg cost and there was available an off the shelf chip that fitted that target, but did not include slow-mo. How many users would be willing to pay more for a custom chip that supported slow-mo? I for one have never missed it and since the boxes are seriously over-priced at first release I'm not eager to pay more. Humax have seriously shot themselves in the foot with their current generation and slow-mo is likely to be just another feature that did not work properly.

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 11:27:48 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Hi Pollensa1946,

From what I gather now that no HD recorders have it now in favour of other features, to keep it cheap I suppose.

So you could be right by saying it was to do with the chips now they use, but I did ask them when I wrote to them if it was to do with the chip they use now and they said as I posted above they decided to remove this feature, and was not considering to return this feature in the near future.

But I think in the near future the PVR will go the same way as the VCR, and everything will be over the internet, a bit like now with NOW TV box's and Google Chrome streaming devices.

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 12:24:33 #19 |
  10. RogerB

RogerB

special member

That sounds reasonable to me Bill. I just hope the electrickery keeps up with it and BT sorts my broadband out. R-

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 12:27:24 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.