My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Slow to respond

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

My FVP5000 is slow to respond lately. It can take about 3-4 seconds to carry out an action.
    Also, it misses off the beginnings of many programs. Not by much though. I just don't see the titles etc.
    Would a factory reset solve this?

| Thu 19 Oct 2023 16:16:32 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

On the whole the 5000T is a sluggish machine.
    Have you done a power cycle, shutdown the 5000T and unplug for about a minute or so.
    Plug it back in and start it up, and see if the makes a difference.
    How full is the hard drive, try and keep at least 10% free for the machine to do its housekeeping and
    room for it to create the buffer required for it to perform pause and play live TV. 20% free would be better.

As for the recordings have you set up the padding time for recordings to start and finish before a programme begins.
    I don't have my 5000T on at the moment but somewhere in the settings there is a preference for setting
    up recordings so they start a little bit earlier ( you can select 2,3, 5 minutes or so) so you don't miss the beginning of a programme, and of course you can set the finishing time for a few minutes later to avoid missing any cliffhangers or the titles as you reported.

| Fri 20 Oct 2023 19:41:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

I have my 5000T set for no padding and the auto start/finish seems quite reliable, at least on the big 5 channels. I can’t comment on the ‘lesser’ channels as I rarely use them.

As for the slow response, while I agree that it can be a bit sluggish, I wonder if your remote has got a bit mucky inside and is not responding to every button press. If you keep an eye on the red light around the on/off button you will be able to tell.

| Fri 20 Oct 2023 22:46:46 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

I should have thought about the unplugging! I use this to solve a few faults. (Duplicate recordings, lack of "on demand" function, frozen screen etc)
    Normally, I do not need to use the padding function, but just lately I miss the first part of recording.
    A couple of times when I have given it a fast double click on the fast forward, it has gone to the start of the program again. Maybe this unplugging will solve that.
    As for a dirty controller, I would never have thought of that! I will have to get the ISO Alcohol out. Lesser channels? I delete them. It keeps the EPG smaller & tidy.
    Thank you for your replies.

| Sat 21 Oct 2023 10:47:57 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

If you need to clean the remote (but only if the red light doesn’t flash) you will need to carefully prise it apart with a sharp knife or similar. Not easy, but possible.

You will find part of the PCB inside is covered in a metal film which I have never had to remove to clean it. It is just the exposed rubber bits which can get greasy with time.

| Sat 21 Oct 2023 11:01:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

I was amazed by the amount of dirt that I got off the PCB with cotton buds. Took some doing though, to open the controller.

| Sat 21 Oct 2023 12:19:17 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

I hope you cleaned the rubber at the back of each button as well as the PCB. If they look shiny, they need a good rub with the cotton bud.

| Sat 21 Oct 2023 12:55:27 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.