My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Software for Humax PVR function for streaming TV

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Does anyone know of any PC software (or a hardware device) which effectively replicates the Humax PVR function by scheduling to record programmes from streaming TV?

It would need to select the channel, start the streaming and record the stream.

I know I can use software to record a stream currently playing but I am after something where I can schedule the recording(s) to happen when I am not there.

And, if it is available, is it legal to record streaming TV for personal use?

| Sat 26 Aug 2023 0:36:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Although the technology for this sort of thing is evolving all the time, I suspect it will be quite a few years, if ever, before that facility is available.

BBC iPlayer, itvX etc provide direct streaming but, not as far as I am aware, any preset recording.

As for other, more obscure, streamers who knows???

| Sat 26 Aug 2023 1:36:10 #2 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

The sticking point is probably being able to get it to select a stream and start it streaming from the myriad of streaming services available all of whom are very anti against having their streams recorded and employ DRM to that end.

The best I am able to do is record streamed audio using Audacity. While I can set timer records within Audacity I still have to manually fire up and activate the stream to be recorded. My usual use for this is for F1 practise sessions which I can listen to later while out and about (and not available on BBC Sounds as kicked off broadcast radio by the cricket, tennis or golf coverage).

| Sat 26 Aug 2023 11:51:13 #3 |
  4. prking

prking

JohnH77 - 21 hours ago  » 
    Does anyone know of any PC software (or a hardware device) which effectively replicates the Humax PVR function by scheduling to record programmes from streaming TV?
    It would need to select the channel, start the streaming and record the stream.
    I know I can use software to record a stream currently playing but I am after something where I can schedule the recording(s) to happen when I am not there.
    And, if it is available, is it legal to record streaming TV for personal use?

I’m not completely sure what you mean? One of the benefits of streaming services is that you don’t need to watch them at a specific time so there is no need to watch at that time. It won’t matter if you are out. You can simply watch when you are back.

Or are you talking about channels that deliver their shows over the internet? eg PlutoTV or Freevee or Freeview Play channels? If so, and you are watching on a PC then you can use something like GameBar to make a screen recording of what’s on now (subject to the channel not using DRM) But there’s no API for any of these channels so no way of writing software to select a channel and record.

| Sat 26 Aug 2023 22:33:27 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I’m not completely sure what you mean? One of the benefits of streaming services is that you don’t need to watch them at a specific time so there is no need to watch at that time. It won’t matter if you are out. You can simply watch when you are back.

If watching streaming I am forced to watch the advertisements. I am hoping that by recording a stream, I would be able to skip the advertisements when I watch the recording.

It looks like NextPVR on Windows 10 does it though I haven't tried it yet. See How to use NextPVR on Windows 10 to watch and record TV

| Tue 9 Apr 2024 23:36:35 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JohnH77 - 10 hours ago  » 
    It looks like NextPVR on Windows 10 does it though I haven't tried it yet. See How to use NextPVR on Windows 10 to watch and record TV

Having read that article, I don't see any reference to being able to record streams; also you will have to buy HDHomerun tuners to get it to do anything and they aren't cheap. Let us know how you get on.

| Wed 10 Apr 2024 10:21:32 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.