My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Some issues a week in

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

Some further issues I've come across:

- I've just done a auto retune on the box and have lost all my planned recordings - pretty frustrating. Does this always happen? How often do people find they need to do a retune?

- I get occasional pixelation for a couple of seconds on recorded shows (I don't know about live TV as I rarely watch live). Do others find if they have a strong enough signal that this doesn't happen or could it be something to do with the box itself or the software? My signal strength is around 78-83 usually.

_ I'm often seeing no upcoming programme information listed in the guide for a whole page of channels. They sometimes show up if I select one of the channels to view. Does the guide often not show upcoming programme schedules?

Thanks.

| Sat 6 Aug 2016 9:41:59 #1 |
  2. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

I can answer the first one, and I'm afraid that the answer is yes, you do lose the recording schedule after a retune. I always take screenshots with my iPad before retuning...except for this last one when I retuned by accident.

As most of my schedule is series recordings and I still have other episodes in my library it is easy to just go to these to reschedule the series record.

I don't usually get any pixellation, but do occasionally get a bit of a stutter for a second or two. I believe that signal quality is more important than strength, but I may be wrong about that. I'm sure that some of the more tech savvy members will be along to answer this more accurately.

I haven't had missing EPG information on this box, except immediately after the retune, before it had fully populated. I used to regularly experience exactly what you describe with my 9200, but hardly ever with the 4000T.

| Sat 6 Aug 2016 12:31:59 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

Cheers for the info..not sure why I'm seeing so much 'No programme information' in the EPG..

| Sat 6 Aug 2016 12:58:46 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

BlackGhost - 4 hours ago  » 
    Some further issues I've come across:
    - I've just done a auto retune on the box and have lost all my planned recordings - pretty frustrating. Does this always happen? How often do people find they need to do a retune?

I only retune about once or twice a year when there are channel changes that I know I want. E.g the current Olympics.

If it is just one frequency group of channels that is changing I sometimes just retune that group, especially If I know I have no recordings set from that particular group. But for most that is not practical as most people won't have spent the time understanding the detail of what is going on.

BlackGhost - 4 hours ago  » 

- I get occasional pixelation for a couple of seconds on recorded shows (I don't know about live TV as I rarely watch live). Do others find if they have a strong enough signal that this doesn't happen or could it be something to do with the box itself or the software? My signal strength is around 78-83 usually.
    _ I'm often seeing no upcoming programme information listed in the guide for a whole page of channels. They sometimes show up if I select one of the channels to view. Does the guide often not show upcoming programme schedules?
    Thanks.

These are classic signs that you are tuned to more than one transmitter which unlike some makes (e.g. vestel) the humax does not cope with very well. You are also at risk of some recordings failing totally until you retune to just one transmitter.

You will need to delete all channels and then manually tune to only the frequencies of your preferred transmitter.

See posts #7 and #11 of https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/4000t-some-but-not-all-recordings-corrupted

| Sat 6 Aug 2016 14:22:11 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

BlackGhost - 1 hour ago  » 
    Cheers for the info..not sure why I'm seeing so much 'No programme information' in the EPG..

Not all transmitters transmit exactly the same programme guide information, especially of they are transmitting regional variations, or a different number of freeview channels.

The Humax freeview recorders only use the channel that you are currently watching to populate the channels. When you switch watching a channel from one transmitter to another transmitter it can then populate the entries for the other transmitter. An added danger is that if you are watching form one transmitter then there is a risk that 'Accurate Recording' schedules from the other transmitter will not record.

What Humax freeview records tend to do when you auto-tune is to tune to the transmitter you select for the public sector broadcasting channel groups (multiplexs) but not necessarily do what you have asked for the other channels. It varies not only from model to model but also from software version to software version for a model! Some appear to pick the channels with the lowest frequencies others appear to pick the strongest signal at the time of tuning.

| Sat 6 Aug 2016 14:32:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

BB

Luke - 1 hour ago
    The Humax freeview recorders only use the channel that you are currently watching to populate the channels. When you switch watching a channel from one transmitter to another transmitter it can then populate the entries for the other transmitter

Not true for the HDR FOX T2. All channels populate no matter what you're watching, or listening to.

| Sat 6 Aug 2016 15:46:26 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

BB - 1 hour ago  » 

Luke - 1 hour ago
    The Humax freeview recorders only use the channel that you are currently watching to populate the channels. When you switch watching a channel from one transmitter to another transmitter it can then populate the entries for the other transmitter

Not true for the HDR FOX T2. All channels populate no matter what you're watching, or listening to.

I have a number of HDR-FOX T2s and when tuned to multiple transmitters some channels do stop being updated when tuned to the other transmitter.

I use software 1.03.12 and 1.02.20 and what I briefly outlined is the situation with both of them. If I tine to one of the commercial muxs the channels on the PSB muxs from the other transmitter stop being updated.

As described in the original post once you change channels that sorts it, but it will be only temporary and can result in loss recordings.

| Sat 6 Aug 2016 17:15:14 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

Thanks Luke, I'll have a read up on the manual tuning.

| Sat 6 Aug 2016 18:27:11 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

I saw this posted from a few months back in another thread (I'm in Cardiff):

Wenvoe UHF MUX
    DVB-T 41 44 42 39 DVB-T2 47 31 93

I tried the above but there is no 93 channel - it only goes up to 69.

Does anyone have a link to check the channels?

Also if I select DVB-T or DVB-T2 and the correct channel, do the settings for Bandwidth and Network Search need changing? (the manual says the corresponding Frequency is automatically selected) Thanks.

| Sat 6 Aug 2016 19:03:35 #9 |
  10. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

I used this link

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/

I did both DVB-T and DVB-T2 for each channel, but I changed nothing else.

| Sat 6 Aug 2016 19:14:00 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.