My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

'Starting' keeps recycling - won't boot up

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

PedroUK

I recently returned my sister’s 3-week old HDR 1000s (which I had installed and set up) to Richer Sounds (excellent service) for a replacement. The problems was that ‘Starting’ was continuously recycling but not completing the boot and she only had about two days in that time when the machine worked.
    What was happening was that ‘Starting’ would show in the 1000s display panel and simultaneously, Humax and Freesat would display on the TV screen. After 5-10 seconds both displays would go blank for a similar period and then display again. This recycling continued regardless of how many times I pressed the Standby button on the remote and the On/Off switch on the 1000s. The only way to stop the recycling was to remove the mains power cord. She has BT Infinity BB (40 down/9 up) and her AV connection to the TV was HDMI.
    I was lucky, I guess, yesterday, that after a couple of worrying ‘Starting’cycles, I was able to boot up and then set up the replacement 1000s and had it working properly. I then switched it off so that my sister could try it out (she lives 20 miles away) only to experience the ‘Starting’ recycling also happening on the replacement 1000s. I first phoned Humax Customer support who told me to switch off the power, remove all leads and then leave the machine for 5-10 minutes and then reconnect everything and switch on again. That did NOT solve the ‘Starting’ recycling problem, which started all over again.
    I then phoned Humax Product support and after explaining everything yet again, I was told to change the AV connection from HDMI to SCART (though I was using the HDMI lead that Humax supplied). With the SCART connection, after a couple of Starting cycles, the 1000s actually booted up and this had been the pattern with my sister since then – though at least the 1000s is working properly now when it finally boots up.
    I’m no technical whiz but I can’t see how the type of AV connection influences the 1000s boot up though presumably it does because of Humax’ suggestion to change from HDMI to SCART. This means, however, that with SCART, my sister gets an inferior picture quality, disappointing for a HD machine. Also, the stuttering boot-up must mean that something is awry somewhere.
    If anyone owning this newly introduced 1000s has had similar experiences and/or has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated. I am also copying this to Richer Sounds for their information and possible follow-up.

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 19:21:07 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

What else do you have on your network?

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 19:56:09 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

PedroUK

One Win 7 64bit desktop pc. The network, including the pc and the 1000s, is connected to the BT Homehub 3 router. The LAN connection is via 3 BT approved Homeplugs; one from the router, one to the pc and one to the 1000s.
    Regards

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 22:31:45 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Duff unit perhaps, phone Humax for support.

| Tue 27 Nov 2012 23:59:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

PedroUK

As you will gather it is the second unit with the same fault and I have already spoken to Humax. Don't you think it is odd that Humax should suggest the change from HDMI to an inferior SCARTconnection? Makes me think they are aware they have an issue. I shall now let Richer Sounds do some legwork on this and will report back if anything is of relevance.

| Wed 28 Nov 2012 11:08:14 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Wierd problem. Pedro can you try the unit using hdmi on a different TV. What make and model is the TV giving the problem ?

Presumably it can only be some wierd hdmi handshake issue.

Incidentally the box will boot without lnb connections so you can take it to RS and try it on a number of TV's.

| Wed 28 Nov 2012 11:15:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

PedroUK

Hi GLT,
    I'm sure it is not the TV which is a 5-year old Loewe 32" HD which I passed on to my sister. It has a single HDMI input connected to an Octava 5-port HDMI switchbox through which are also routed a Sony HDD/DVD video recorder and a Toshiba VCR/DVD recorder which both display via the Loewe TV perfectly. Indeed, when the 1000s works it is also great albeit via the SCART.
    It's over to RS now.
    Thx Pedro

| Wed 28 Nov 2012 12:13:04 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

PedroUK - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi GLT,
    I'm sure it is not the TV which is a 5-year old Loewe 32" HD which I passed on to my sister. It has a single HDMI input connected to an Octava 5-port HDMI switchbox through which are also routed a Sony HDD/DVD video recorder and a Toshiba VCR/DVD recorder which both display via the Loewe TV perfectly. Indeed, when the 1000s works it is also great albeit via the SCART.
    It's over to RS now.
    Thx Pedro

Try connecting the box directly to the TV with hdmi, compatibility with hdmi switches can be iffy with some kit.

| Wed 28 Nov 2012 14:07:25 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Humax have a problem with hdmi/hdcp on the HDR/HD FoxT2 with my equipment that my ps3/pc's/media-servers etc. etc. all on hdmi don't.
    It would appear that they have replicated/designed something similar on the 1000S.
    I'm 99% sure that if you try GLT's advice and connect the box directly to the TV via hdmi then you will not have any problems. If you do, and this is the 2nd box, then you'll be struggling.

If the box works connected directly then you'll need to tackle your hdmi switch. Disconnect all other inputs to the switch, only have the 1000S connected via the Octava to TV, and try that starting at input 1 and trying all 5 inputs to see if any will work as you'd expect. Patience is needed here and you may need to physically switch off or reset bits just to be sure.
    If you find this works then plug in the Sony first and test and then the Toshiba and test, you'll probably find that one of the other boxes is affecting the hdmi/hdcp connection, or rather the Humax is allowing itself to be affected by one of the other boxes.

RS won't be able to help as they don't have your setup to replicate and so far I've not seen Humax admit they have a problem with hdmi/hdcp even though it is evident.

Some people have gone as far as cutting out pin 13 (CEC) I believe to get round certain problems (I've no idea if this would help in your situation), in my case, and the only way I can get my Humax box to work as I want and connect properly via hdmi through a switch, is to use a hdmi switch that has hdcp correction.

To sum up, if none of the above work then I'd guess you either give up with the box and return it or get a hdmi switch that can re-sync hdcp (EDID/CEC)

| Wed 28 Nov 2012 15:37:50 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

PedroUK

Many thanks Damian & GLT,

I will try your suggestions when next visiting my sister.
    What I might do, to remove the HDMI box from the equation, is to connect HDMI direct from the 1000s to the TV HDMI input, connect the Sony to the TV via component video and the Toshiba to the TV via SCART. The Humax is the most important and most used unit for my sister so it makes sense for it to have the best quality connection.
    I will investigate as to whether the TV is HDCP compliant or not.
    Just fyi, when I had the Loewe TV and also the Sony HDD/DVD recorder and a Sky+ HD box, they were routed via the same Octavo HDMI box and I never had any problems.
    Will let you know how it goes.
    Pedro

| Wed 28 Nov 2012 18:00:37 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.