My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Stereo/Multistream switching causing problems

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

telltuff

A lot of the problems I am experiencing seem to be related to how the Aura handles a change from stereo to multichannel audio. I was watching an episode of Fargo recorded from Channel 4 HD the main programme is in multichannel audio but the add breaks are in stereo. If I skip through adds (skip step at default setting of 15 seconds) to just before adds finish when Fargo starts and changes to multichannel the sound will often stop. Sometimes the sound will start after a few seconds sometimes not, sometimes after a few more seconds of playback the picture will freeze. If I rewind the recording to play more of the add break (give more of a run up to the point where the sound transitions from stereo to multichannel) it appears to negotiate the transition more successfully with only a second of silence before multichannel audio starts and no picture freeze. At one instance of this behaviour when the Aura was also recording while I was watching the episode of Fargo the picture froze and the box spontaneously restarted. Causing the recordings to fail.

While watching the Olympic coverage (live not a recording) on BBC1 HD which is in multichannel audio. When coverage stopped and the News which is in stereo started the picture froze at the start of the Olympic coverage stored in the buffer, as if it rewound and paused.

I also recently had my first instance that I can remember of when changing channel getting a black screen and low signal strength warning that needed a restart to fix. This was on changing from a channel showing a programme with multichannel audio to a channel showing a stereo programme. This may have been just a coincidence as the rarity of such an event prevents me suggesting a causal relationship.

Another issue I experience is if a Aura (set to never go into deep standby) is left on standby for approx 24hrs or more when I press the remote power button it seems to be in deep standby. With the start up process lasting longer, with the light on the front of the Aura going off and on and the android splash screen displayed on the TV. I don’t think this could be due to how the Aura handles audio streams.

I have two Auras. One connected directly via HDMI to a TV with the Aura audio output set to TV (internal speakers). The other is connected via HDMI to a multichannel receiver and then via HDMI to a TV with the Aura audio output set to Home Cinema via HDMI [Aura-Audio Equipment-TV] (up to 7.1ch). Both Auras exhibit these problems when on a channel or playing back a recording (not just the one episode of Fargo) when the audio stream changes between stereo and multichannel. Both have Firmware version 00.09.21 and Application version 1.01_90_210617_a9f0ae58c

This behaviour seems similar to problems several people are reporting. Is anyone else attributing problems to how the Aura handles a change between stereo and multichannel audio?

| Fri 6 Aug 2021 14:13:00 #1 |
  2. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

telltuff - 2 days ago  » 
    A lot of the problems I am experiencing seem to be related to how the Aura handles a change from stereo to multichannel audio. I was watching an episode of Fargo recorded from Channel 4 HD the main programme is in multichannel audio but the add breaks are in stereo. If I skip through adds (skip step at default setting of 15 seconds) to just before adds finish when Fargo starts and changes to multichannel the sound will often stop. Sometimes the sound will start after a few seconds sometimes not, sometimes after a few more seconds of playback the picture will freeze. If I rewind the recording to play more of the add break (give more of a run up to the point where the sound transitions from stereo to multichannel) it appears to negotiate the transition more successfully with only a second of silence before multichannel audio starts and no picture freeze. At one instance of this behaviour when the Aura was also recording while I was watching the episode of Fargo the picture froze and the box spontaneously restarted. Causing the recordings to fail.
    While watching the Olympic coverage (live not a recording) on BBC1 HD which is in multichannel audio. When coverage stopped and the News which is in stereo started the picture froze at the start of the Olympic coverage stored in the buffer, as if it rewound and paused.
    I also recently had my first instance that I can remember of when changing channel getting a black screen and low signal strength warning that needed a restart to fix. This was on changing from a channel showing a programme with multichannel audio to a channel showing a stereo programme. This may have been just a coincidence as the rarity of such an event prevents me suggesting a causal relationship.
    Another issue I experience is if a Aura (set to never go into deep standby) is left on standby for approx 24hrs or more when I press the remote power button it seems to be in deep standby. With the start up process lasting longer, with the light on the front of the Aura going off and on and the android splash screen displayed on the TV. I don’t think this could be due to how the Aura handles audio streams.
    I have two Auras. One connected directly via HDMI to a TV with the Aura audio output set to TV (internal speakers). The other is connected via HDMI to a multichannel receiver and then via HDMI to a TV with the Aura audio output set to Home Cinema via HDMI [Aura-Audio Equipment-TV] (up to 7.1ch). Both Auras exhibit these problems when on a channel or playing back a recording (not just the one episode of Fargo) when the audio stream changes between stereo and multichannel. Both have Firmware version 00.09.21 and Application version 1.01_90_210617_a9f0ae58c
    This behaviour seems similar to problems several people are reporting. Is anyone else attributing problems to how the Aura handles a change between stereo and multichannel audio?

Interesting theory about the sound output change causing the problems of freezing. I think if you had titled your post with the freezing issue I might have realised that was my problem too when ads appear in different sound formats. I hear the issue has been dealt with possibly in the latest app beta according to David Drew

| Sun 8 Aug 2021 14:23:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

telltuff

As I seem to have seen freezes, loss of audio (sometimes temporary) without freezing, rewinding to the start of the buffer with freezes and spontaneous restarting of the Aura relating to the programme (live or recorded) audio stream switching between stereo and multichannel I had difficulty thinking of a concise title.

| Sun 8 Aug 2021 15:54:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

MickO

Yes, I have most if not all of that too. Aura not set to deep sleep, often shows start up screen. Maybe dependant what time I remote switch the Aura on, as to whether it does or doesn't. Loss of sound after advert jump forwards, again may be dependent on sound differences between adverts and watched program.

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 10:42:19 #4 |
  5. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

I got this reply from Humax on this freezing issue:

'That model has 3 tuners in it, so they are only getting a third of the signal strength each, to accommodate for this we had to turn up the sensitivity of the tuners, but because of that any signal strength 90% or over can overload the tuners and cause issues. A very simple remedy is to fit an attenuator to reduce the signal'

I have 95% signal strength with 100% signal quality. but does that fit with the picture only freezing on some ads and trailers? what do people think?

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 12:51:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

RatherLargeZed

telltuff - 1 day ago  » 
    As I seem to have seen freezes, loss of audio (sometimes temporary) without freezing, rewinding to the start of the buffer with freezes and spontaneous restarting of the Aura relating to the programme (live or recorded) audio stream switching between stereo and multichannel I had difficulty thinking of a concise title.

I experienced the same problem last night. I can't recall which live channel I was watching but I did notice that it was a 5.1 sound channel broadcast as adjusting the volume on the Aura adjusts the soundbar's volume via HDMI. When the programme finished and the adverts started, the picture and sound froze. I went to adjust the volume again and my soundbar volume adjusted showing a 2 channel soundtrack, even though no sound came through. I resolved the problem by changing channel on the Aura by pressing the UP channel on the remote. After the channel changed that channel's sound and picture worked fine. I then pressed the DOWN channel on the remote to go back to the the frozen channel. The picture and stereo sound worked fine. There does seem to be a 5.1 channel to stereo sound issue here.

| Mon 9 Aug 2021 19:06:08 #6 |
  7. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

telltuff - 2 days ago  » 

My comment was intended as helpful feedback. I hadn't looked at your post until you helpfully came back on mine. Yes summing up the issue for the title can be tricky. I meant I think it's helpful for me to start with the problem: 'freezing, sound drop outs'. But you certainly described the problem in detail. Yes I was able to get out of the freezes previously by pressing Live TV.

I am trying the attenuator again with the HD channels turned down to 86% (can't hit 85%). I haven't noticed any freezes yet. Could it be that the oversensitive tuners don't 'like' the 5.1 to stereo change? is that possible?

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 10:19:21 #7 |
  8. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

I have just watched while my Aura with attenuation set to 86% moved from a programme broadcast on BBC1 HD with PCM 5.1 (WPC56) to the next programme in PCM stereo with no freeze of picture. Until the software fix comes through this may be a solution. What have others found?

| Wed 11 Aug 2021 13:41:09 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

telltuff

Paul Bton - 2 days ago  » 
    I have just watched while my Aura with attenuation set to 86% moved from a programme broadcast on BBC1 HD with PCM 5.1 (WPC56) to the next programme in PCM stereo with no freeze of picture. Until the software fix comes through this may be a solution. What have others found?

I am still seeing the problem with an attenuator fitted.

As I mentioned in previous post I have two Auras one connected directly via HDMI to a TV with the Aura audio output set to TV (internal speakers)and the other is connected via HDMI to a multichannel receiver and then via HDMI to a TV with the Aura audio output set to Home Cinema via HDMI [Aura-Audio Equipment-TV] (up to 7.1ch).

The Aura connected directly to the TV now has an attenuator fitted giving a signal strength on C21 (Rowridge HD channels) of 86% and 100% quality. The Aura connected via the multichannel receiver shows 100% for strength and quality on C21.

Last night I recorded The Watch on BBC2 HD (guessed it would be broadcast in multichannel) on both Auras. At the start of the recorded programme there is a brief intro in stereo before it switches to multichannel. Playback on both machines will freeze (but not always) when the audio swiches from stereo to multichannel.

I was a bit sceptical about the signal strengh argument having seen the problem on recordings with no detectable corruption of video or audio but didn't want to dismiss it out of hand.

| Fri 13 Aug 2021 16:03:29 #9 |
  10. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

telltuff - 1 hour ago  » 

Paul Bton - 2 days ago  » 

I am still seeing the problem with an attenuator fitted.
    As I mentioned in previous post I have two Auras one connected directly via HDMI to a TV with the Aura audio output set to TV (internal speakers)and the other is connected via HDMI to a multichannel receiver and then via HDMI to a TV with the Aura audio output set to Home Cinema via HDMI [Aura-Audio Equipment-TV] (up to 7.1ch).
    The Aura connected directly to the TV now has an attenuator fitted giving a signal strength on C21 (Rowridge HD channels) of 86% and 100% quality. The Aura connected via the multichannel receiver shows 100% for strength and quality on C21.
    Last night I recorded The Watch on BBC2 HD (guessed it would be broadcast in multichannel) on both Auras. At the start of the recorded programme there is a brief intro in stereo before it switches to multichannel. Playback on both machines will freeze (but not always) when the audio swiches from stereo to multichannel.
    I was a bit sceptical about the signal strengh argument having seen the problem on recordings with no detectable corruption of video or audio but didn't want to dismiss it out of hand.

Ah that’s a good test. I was a bit sceptical but will have to wait for another freeze.

| Fri 13 Aug 2021 17:55:55 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.