My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Strictly audio Saturday

(33 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Is SCD live (Saturday) not broadcast in 5.1 now ? It used to be 5.1 still have old shows which are 5.1. I know the recorded result are always 2.0. Currently watching week 4 which is last weeks and coming up as 2.0 as have all the others.
    Currently using a Foxsat HDR other recordings like Electric Dreams do have 5.1 DD.

| Sat 21 Oct 2017 19:56:40 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Has been in Stereo since launch. Possible because of it's temporary shift to a new studio.

| Sat 21 Oct 2017 20:00:58 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Thanks Graham, I miss the LFE channel the current bass is a little disappointing.

| Sat 21 Oct 2017 20:30:19 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 21 seconds ago  » 
    Thanks Graham, I miss the LFE channel the current bass is a little disappointing.

There is no lfe channel (or front centre either) only 2 channels of audio (Its 2.0 not 2.1). If you want more bass assuming you have a AV receiver you need to adjust the crossover frequency used on your system and/or increase the subwoofer level in the manual speaker level setup options. In the the absence of a lfe the subwoofer gets the low frequencies from your front speaker crossover settings. The level depends on the gain figure set for the the bass channel.

Your AV amp may allow you to adjust levels just for the current programme.

Bear in mind any dsp options you set will overide the default options. For more Bass try something like Rock Concert

| Sat 21 Oct 2017 20:36:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

There is no lfe channel (or front centre either) only 2 channels of audio (Its 2.0 not 2.1). If you want more bass assuming you have a AV receiver you need to adjust the crossover frequency used on your system and/or increase the subwoofer level in the manual speaker level setup options. In the the absence of a lfe the subwoofer gets the low frequencies from your front speaker crossover settings. The level depends on the gain figure set for the the bass channel.
    Bear in mind any dsp options you set will overide the default options. For more Bass try something like Rock Concert

"There is no lfe channel (or front centre either) only 2 channels of audio (Its 2.0 not 2.1)."

I know, that's why I said I miss the LFE channel. There was a LFE channel last year and the year before that etc now there is not. I MISS IT, I thought that was a simple statement to make why couldn't you understand it ?

Anyway thanks again for the first reply.

| Sat 21 Oct 2017 21:47:00 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 12 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

"There is no lfe channel (or front centre either) only 2 channels of audio (Its 2.0 not 2.1)."
    I know, that's why I said I miss the LFE channel. There was a LFE channel last year and the year before that etc now there is not. I MISS IT, I thought that was a simple statement to make why couldn't you understand it ?
    Anyway thanks again for the first reply.

It was an odd post, why didn't you miss the other 3 full range audio channels as well. You should be able to get the same bass response by making the adjustments I posted, so no reason to miss it. There's no noticeable lack of bass on SDC this series compared to 5.1 previously using my Yamaha AV receiver, though there's no front centre and rear surround output unless you turn on one of the DSP options.

| Sun 22 Oct 2017 10:18:56 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

"There's no noticeable lack of bass on SDC this series compared to 5.1 previously using my Yamaha AV receiver, though there's no front centre and rear surround output unless you turn on one of the DSP options........."

Talking of odd statements, I'd just like to point out that you can't just "use" your Yamaha AV receiver to hear bass. It would really help if you had large full range speakers or better still a good powerful well set up subwoofer. So I'm not surprised you can't hear/feel the difference as you think your AV receiver is more important than say a subwoofer which receives the .1 channel amplifies it and then outputs the actual sound !
    Obviously I know many people buy weak inadequate subs that only provide limited bass and zero LFE for movies so it doesn't surprise me that you can't hear or feel the difference between SCD in 5.1 and 2.0.

| Sun 22 Oct 2017 14:44:44 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 2 minutes ago  » 
    "There's no noticeable lack of bass on SDC this series compared to 5.1 previously using my Yamaha AV receiver, though there's no front centre and rear surround output unless you turn on one of the DSP options........."
    Talking of odd statements, I'd just like to point out that you can't just "use" your Yamaha AV receiver to hear bass. It would really help if you had large full range speakers or better still a good powerful well set up subwoofer. So I'm not surprised you can't hear/feel the difference as you think your AV receiver is more important than say a subwoofer which receives the .1 channel amplifies it and then outputs the actual sound !
    Obviously I know many people buy weak inadequate subs that only provide limited bass and zero LFE for movies so it doesn't surprise me that you can't hear or feel the difference between SCD in 5.1 and 2.0.

You are completely misunderstanding my post. I have a very large subwoofer and KEF Front, Left, Centre and Rears. The speakers alone were more than £1000.00. If I want more bass I can simply turn up the subwoofer volume control. Amp is 170W/Channel Subwoofer 600W.

I didn't say I can't hear the difference I said the Bass is the same, which it is. Dolby Digital audio channels are 100% discrete. If you don't mess with the sound then in stereo then the left channel speakers go to the left front and the right ones to the right ones. Nothing goes to the other speakers in the system including the subwoofer. The AV receiver sets a crossover frequency that diverts audio in the approx range 20Hz to 120Hz to a subwoofer if you have one (The higher figure depends on the capability you tell set up how large your other speakers are). If you incorrectly identify these as large then switching from a 5.1 source to a 2.0 one will give a marked reduction in bass.

The point is that is having a .1 channel does not change in any way the amount of bass you get. It merely provides a seperate channel for the existing bass within the total sound spectrum. In stereo each channel carries the full audio range, as Bass is non directional you will get roughly equal bass from a pair of full range speakers. Without any sort of DSP then you will only get audio from the two front left and right speakers except for a connected subwoofer (which you don't need if the speakers are large enough) If you have large speakers capable of full range audio reproduction there is no need for a subwoofer at all. Most of us don't have the space for such large speakers so we use a system that allows the use of smaller satellite speakers. In the absence of a seperate Bass audio channel, the AV receiver simply extracts the audio below a preset level and sends it to the subwoofer rather than the satellite speakers. If the cross over frequency used to create a lfe channel in a 5.1 signal matches the one you have setup in your system the bass content will be identical. If you have a unsuitable cross over frequency then using a stereo source you could be sending a largish proportion of the sound that your subwoofer should be handling to your front speakers. In that event it will of course sound compressed.

If you aren't getting audio from your subwoofer when playing stereo there is something wrong with your kit or more likely it's set up.

Guessing you need to raise the crossover settings on whatever kit you are using so more of the left and right channel when gets sent to your subwoofer when stereo is being used.

I was probably using stereo HiFi valve kit and big speakers before you were born.

Dolby Digital

The most elaborate mode in common use involves five channels for normal-range speakers (20 Hz – 20,000 Hz) (right, center, left, right surround, left surround) and one channel (20 Hz – 120 Hz allotted audio) for the subwoofer driven low-frequency effects. Mono and stereo modes are also supported.

| Sun 22 Oct 2017 15:06:16 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If I was to add a 5.1 version of SCD to a pro video editing package like Magix Video Pro X9 and down mix the audio from 5.1 to 2.0.

Remembering all 5 full range channels have the capability to handle the full lfe range and more.

lfe - split 50% to Front Right and Front Left
    centre - split 50% to Front Right and Front Left
    Rear Right 100% to Front Right
    Rear Left 100% to Front Right

Using a professional Dolby Pro logic II surround encoder you can retain a lot of seperation using matrix technology when transferring rear surrounds to front and centre to left and right.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-pro-logic-ii.html

If you then play this back on a properly setup system with straight (unprocessed option) say with stereo crossover from front right and front left set to 120Hz. Anything below 120Hz is output to the subwoofer.

Everything above 120Hz on the right channel goes to the Front Right speaker

Everything above 120Hz on the left channel goes to the front left speaker.

Nothing goes to the centre and rear surrounds.

The bass should be the same as it was on the original 5.1 mix.

If the down mix was created using a Dolby Pro Logic encoder you will get an approximation of the original surround and centre dialogue channels (with some cross talk) if you select Pro Logic II processing.

Other than that modern AV receivers have lots of digital sound processing (DSP) options that can create the illusion of multichannel sound from just two stereo channels. For example the rear channels can be used to re-create the reverberation you would get in a large concert hall (effectively creating the echo of the orchestra bouncing of the walls of the hall.

| Sun 22 Oct 2017 17:52:56 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

It never was 5.1 it hasn't been down mixed to 2.0.
    So we're not talking about down mixed 5.1 here it was only ever 2.0 channel same goes for last years results show only ever 2.0.

| Sun 22 Oct 2017 22:34:45 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.