My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Subtitles not showing on certain channels

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

the1fob

Hi,
    Because of deteriorating reception to the TV my mother has in her kitchen I bought her a Freesat box, she was so impressed with it she asked if I could get her one for the lounge (the reception there was better but no great shakes).
    I just bought her a Humax HDR-1100-S and it’s a lovely unit except for the fact that subtitles will not display on certain channels, the one she particularly watches is the Drama channel-162. I’ve tried a factory reset; I’ve done a software update; I’ve even tried connecting it to the TV in the kitchen (which when the Manhattan: Plaza HD – S2 unit is connected shows subtitles on Drama)
    I’m not too technically minded (I don’t really go beyond the ‘turn it off/on’ stage) and I am at a loss as what else to do. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
    Regards

| Sat 30 Apr 2016 11:21:07 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My thinking has been that subs are associated with the program rather than the channel. May be wrong. In any event, what happens when you press the sub key on the R/C while watching Drama? On my 1000S on the few pgms I checked it came up with a banner saying... Subtitles ON No Data. If you're checking against the Manhattan box are you checking the exact same pgm within the same transmission slot?

| Sat 30 Apr 2016 14:04:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I use subtitles quite a bit (don't ask) and whereas the 'big five' are well served with some of the smaller channels subtitles aren't always available. As Pollensa states I think it depends on the programme i.e. were there subtitles when aired originally.

I have Netflix and find subtitles are not available on a great many of their older programmes. Nothing to do with the box though. In fact I find the Humax Freesat box to be the best PVR I have ever owned at displaying subtitles.

| Sat 30 Apr 2016 14:47:42 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I think the problem is down to most channels these days use DVB subtitling. Suspect the problem channel uses teletext subtitles. If I remember correctly G2 boxes only support DVB subtitles. When I get a few minutes I will record some content from 162 and have a look what format they are. I can also see if a Foxsat-HDR (G1 spec) will play subtitles.

| Sat 30 Apr 2016 17:13:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

the1fob

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. @grahamthompson, I think you've got it! I actually looked at the subtitles and on the Drama channel they’re very pixelated and indeed remind me of good old teletext, but on other channels the text is more rounded and ‘modern’ looking. Ah well, back the box goes and replace it with another Manhattan box.
    Thanks again to all of you for your time.
    Regards

| Sun 1 May 2016 8:32:25 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

the1fob - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. @grahamthompson, I think you've got it! I actually looked at the subtitles and on the Drama channel they’re very pixelated and indeed remind me of good old teletext, but on other channels the text is more rounded and ‘modern’ looking. Ah well, back the box goes and replace it with another Manhattan box.
    Regards

They are teletext. Just looked at 162 using Foxsat-HDR when you press Sub the subtitle track is labelled teletext. Teletext isn't actually part of the DVB spec, so you are lucky to find a box that you can still buy that shows them.

| Sun 1 May 2016 10:06:10 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

the1fob - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Regards

One thing to consider, the G2 boxes are the future.

| Sun 1 May 2016 10:45:49 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 22 hours ago  » 

the1fob - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Regards

Oh dear the future of freesat isn't that bright then, no HEVC, 4K, HDR, 60fps etc ever !

| Mon 2 May 2016 9:22:24 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Reffub - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 22 hours ago  » 

the1fob - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Regards

Oh dear the future of freesat isn't that bright then, no HEVC, 4K, HDR, 60fps etc ever !

And how do you know they won't be developed for the platform? You're simply blowing smoke.

| Mon 2 May 2016 11:19:16 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

Reffub - 1 hour ago  » 

Faust - 22 hours ago  » 

the1fob - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Regards

And how do you know they won't be developed for the platform? You're simply blowing smoke.

You're the one who said "the G2 boxes are the future", let's face it they aren't really and they certainly not the future of Freesat if they are the platform will eventually die.
    Hopefully G3 etc will be the future of the "platform", G2 is firmly stuck in the past/present when it comes to TV tech

| Mon 2 May 2016 12:40:17 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.