My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

The receiver is not receiving a signal

(80 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

I get the following message quite a bit on BBC NEWS HD and less frequently on Channel 4 HD (and also the +1). The full message is "The receiver is not receiving a signal or the signal is too weak". There is a blank screen with this message and it can show this from anywhere between 1 to 5 seconds but then it will show the program on the channel properly. Does this sound like a faulty unit and should I take it back for a replacement (I've only had it less than 3 weeks). Or is it a genuine signal issue just for a couple of specific channels and I'll just have to live with it?

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 13:09:50 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

boogersa - 45 minutes ago  » 
    I get the following message quite a bit on BBC NEWS HD and less frequently on Channel 4 HD (and also the +1). The full message is "The receiver is not receiving a signal or the signal is too weak".

When tuned to BBC News HD what is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax?

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 13:56:14 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

To add to Martins response...

Watch BBC News HD

You can check signal strength/quality via:

Settings
    Channel Settings
    Signal Test

| Thu 22 Feb 2018 14:07:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

hi. unfortunately by the time I get in to check the signal strength the picture has appeared. But it is 77% strength and 100% quality when there is a picture.

| Mon 26 Feb 2018 13:29:54 #4 |
  5. andysue

andysue

I had this problem when I upgraded the 4000t to the new software. I when back in & re downloaded all the programs then it worked ok!

| Wed 28 Feb 2018 9:07:25 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

I’d keep an eye on it, happens to mine randomly. Signal strength fine. The thereshold for that black screen needs adjusting in my opinion, or it shouldn’t be so disruptive.

| Wed 28 Feb 2018 20:03:18 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

shaunb51

I know it's a bit late, but I had this happen on mine within the first couple of weeks until by 6 weeks it was all channels. The box had to be returned.

| Mon 5 Mar 2018 2:36:38 #7 |
  8. davidrew

davidrew

special member

shaunb51 - 12 hours ago  » 
    I know it's a bit late, but I had this happen on mine within the first couple of weeks until by 6 weeks it was all channels. The box had to be returned.

Did you have a replacement 5000T and is that now working?

This is interesting as I had the same problem with BBC NEWS HD yesterday on my 1 week old 5000T. The only thing that has changed on the Oxford transmitter in the last week is that RF channels 31 (COM7) and 55 (COM6) have been swapped so BBC NEWS HD is now on 55. I did a SMART retune which worked with no obvious problems and when I have a signal its 79% strength and 100% quality.

A survey on the 5000T of all the RF channels returns 100% quality on all of them and the following strengths:
    31: 88
    37: 87
    50: 88
    53+: 89
    55: 79
    57: 91
    59-: 83
    60-: 84

I am new to Freeview, as a recent defector from Freesat, so I don't know if that is good or bad. I did read another article saying anything above 75% signal strength can be too much for some tuner equipment to handle, so I don't know if that is the problem, but there are no warnings in the 5000T manual about too much signal.

Any thoughts appreciated.

| Mon 5 Mar 2018 14:58:49 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Playing the first few seconds of recordings shown as broken removes the error, replacing the broken thumbnail with the first frame of actual video.

DavidRW those figures look fine, some of mine are 100% quality and low as 40% and I still get random failures. Tipping Point in HD was a regular.

If I look at the same programmes recorded on a HDRFOX-T2 they all seem to have 30-40 frames of black video at the beginning. As another poster observes it seems to be a timing issue with the box interpreting black video and no audio as no signal.

| Mon 5 Mar 2018 15:15:05 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

davidrew - 1 hour ago  » 
    A survey on the 5000T of all the RF channels returns 100% quality on all of them and the following strengths:
    31: 88
    37: 87
    50: 88
    53+: 89
    55: 79
    57: 91
    59-: 83
    60-: 84
    I am new to Freeview, as a recent defector from Freesat, so I don't know if that is good or bad. I did read another article saying anything above 75% signal strength can be too much for some tuner equipment to handle, so I don't know if that is the problem, but there are no warnings in the 5000T manual about too much signal.

You certainly have adequate signal strength. If anything it is a bit high but I wouldn't expect it to be a problem.

| Mon 5 Mar 2018 16:45:21 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.