My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

The receiver is not receiving a signal

(80 posts)
  1. andysue

andysue

grahamlthompson - 14 hours ago  » 

andysue - 10 hours ago  » 

andysue - 3 days ago  » 
    One other thing I have done for years is solder the middle wire in the coax. If you run a lot of tvs this can help as each connection can lose signal. I guess in your case that doesnt matter but may help others.
    I have an aerial guy coming out Thursday to give me a quote for a longer 2" pole & a Log 36 Periodic like Graham said. I am also going to have some bird spikes fitted to stop the pigeons perching. They make a mess & make the arial go boing boing when they fly off! wakes me up!
    I could fit all this myself but I havnt got the meters to test the signal. I know you can use the tv but it is a bit awkward with me on the roof & her indoors on the phone. Plus I need to align the aerial at its best with this great big oak tree in the way.

Well the Aerial guy came out today & was really helpful & nice & didnt try to rip me off & gave free advice. If I had a taller pole, a new aerial, new variable booster he still couldnt guarantee the channels. So I am going to wait to see what happens when the leaves are back on the oak tree & perhaps they may boost the signal back on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter. Redditch is a problem being down the dip.
    I have also read up on the 36 log periodic & it apears to be made by vision & Optima & the prices vary but dont understand the group K type. Is this wideband?
    Also they have now bought another one out which is another one (L36FK) http://optima-tv.com/l36fk/ that is now in a range to get away from the 5G frequency.
    But I cant find anywhere selling one.
    I dont want to buy one that is going to be out of date again. This is getting as bad as updating Windows. Is this all going to start again when they switch on 5G ?

Group K is the new wideband, it replaced the log 40 which covered 21-68. The 4 dipoles that covered the 800 MHz band are removed. In effect building in a 4G filter.
    The new aerial you linked to will not work with COM 7 and Com 8 as it doesn't cover UHF 55 and 56.
    Don't worry about 700 MHz clearance when it happens you just need a filter.

OK Thanks for that. I have seen log 36 periodic on ebay quite cheap or am I barking up the wrong tree ? CPC appear to be quite cheap as well but list several log 36 periodics, very confusing. http://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=log%2036%20aerial

| Sat 31 Mar 2018 0:50:04 #71 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

sha

I am new to the forum and so my apologies if this info has been noted and posted before by someone. I have had and still got a Humax FoxSat/FoxT2 and now use a Freeview HDR-2000T and have been plagued with the signal dropping out with the 2 Freeview units, but never on the TV.

The aerial is high-gain, new coax, etc. Signal strength 100% and quality 100%. The feed to the TV was always fine and never dropped out. I use a passive high quality splitter to split the aerial into 2 to feed the Humax and TV. All tested and units swapped over.

My problem was too much signal strength which can sometimes overload the input level of the Humax (but not the TV). I inserted 3dB/6dB/9dB passive inline coax attenuators in the feed to the Humax to drop the signal strength to around 95%. This reduced the problem from many times daily to weekly. I may drop it down a bit more.

The signal where I live is really strong so much so that I cannot do an automatic tune as it gets the next county's transmitter and uses that as a default, which is fine until night time when it drops low at times.

I also had a hardware fault one time where the coax socket on the Humax had broken the soldering joint holding the socket to the PCB - the socket could be wobbled and the signal would be lost. I took the Humax unit apart and resoldered the socket securely, which cured that problem.

I mention this in case it assists.

| Tue 22 Jan 2019 20:32:46 #72 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

sha - 1 hour ago  » 

My problem was too much signal strength which can sometimes overload the input level of the Humax (but not the TV). I inserted 3dB/6dB/9dB passive inline coax attenuators in the feed to the Humax to drop the signal strength to around 95%.

My experiments with an HDR-2000T, with too high a signal strength, lead me to the conclusion that a signal strength of about 80% was optimal. With digital transmission signal strength is not particularly important and in a different location I operated an HDR-FOX T2 with a signal strength of 30% (pre DSO) without problems for at least a year.

| Tue 22 Jan 2019 22:31:33 #73 |
  4. andysue

andysue

My problem was not enough signal strength.
    I did buy a new Optima arial ( thanks Graham) I also rewired with WF cable, I bought a new booster & a masthead booster. All worked for a few months until I had to re tune. Then everything kept breaking up on recordings. Thinking the huge oak tree with wet leaves was to blame I bought a new 5m pole off ebay came on a great big wagon wrapped up!
    Then I retuned manualy & everything was ok until Film 4 +1 disapeared.
    I tuned in automatically lost all my recording times but I had photographed them on the screen so I could re enter them easily.
    Recordings broke up again so I had to manualy tune again.
    Dont know why we have to do that why doesnt the 4000T 0r 5000T tune in automatically whenthey alter the channels?

| Wed 23 Jan 2019 0:51:40 #74 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

sha - 4 hours ago  » 
    The aerial is high-gain, new coax, etc.

If you live in a very strong signal area, why on earth have you got a high gain aerial?

| Wed 23 Jan 2019 0:53:46 #75 |
  6. andysue

andysue

Trev - 10 minutes ago  » 

sha - 4 hours ago  » 
    The aerial is high-gain, new coax, etc.

If you live in a very strong signal area, why on earth have you got a high gain aerial?

I dont, Redditch is in a dip & you lose a lot of channels from Sutton Coldfield unless you live 6 miles up the road where you are higher.
    P.S. I also put the plastic pointy things on the top of the aerial to keep the pigeons off. works.

| Wed 23 Jan 2019 1:07:48 #76 |
  7. Trev

Trev

special member

Thanks for the info, but I wasn't actually replying to your post. I was replying to sha who has a hi-gain aerial in a strong signal area and thus his signal is too large so he has to attenuate it. ;=)

| Wed 23 Jan 2019 9:14:39 #77 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

sha

@Trev - thanks for asking 'why on earth'

Let me try and explain although it does detract from the nature and spirit of the original post:

1. When installed the signal levels in our area were actually lower, which was before they increased the output of the Tx.

2. A good hi-gain aerial allows this: if you subsequently find the strength is too much it is far easier to passively attenuate (with no loss of quality whatsoever). Whereas if you find you are too low in strength then have to amplify (which introduces noise and needs a hi-bandwidth powered amp).

3. The cost of a standard aerial compared to a good hi gain one is minimal as the main cost is the cost of the installer visiting and going up the ladder, so it makes economic sense to install the best at the very beginning rather than installing one you may think is fine, only to find it is then too weak, because the installation will then have to be done again, doubling your overall costs.

4. A good signal allows you to use a small passive splitter (3dB typically) behind the PVR to split the incoming aerial feed to send 1 feed to the PVR and the other to the TV, rather than the TV using the RF output from the PVR, which can (but not always) introduce noise from the PVR's built in amplifier.

The post I made was to indicate that the input to the PVR can be overloaded and cause it to give the intermittent fault, whereas the same signal level does not necessarily overload the TV input. The post was meant to simply assist others to attempt a cure and not have a detraction by going into economic reasons of choosing a specific aerial.

| Wed 23 Jan 2019 10:10:37 #78 |
  9. Trev

Trev

special member

All valid arguments esp 2 and 4. The RFOUT from boxes invariably introduces noise, but whether that's a problem is obviously dependent on the specific set up and the 'raw' signal strength. Thanks for your reasoning.
    I feel certain that, in some instances, some peeps stick up a hi-gain aerial unnecessarily, and then run into tuner overload and the subsequent consequences thereof and also think that 100% signal strength is a 'good thing'.

| Wed 23 Jan 2019 16:12:06 #79 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

The Old Crock

While viewing programmes through my Freeview box I have no problems, however when I record a programme I have a warning that the recording failed to record due to no signal. this warning disappears and the recording plays but is pixellated with distorted sound.

Any advice would be appreciated.

| Sat 28 Sep 2019 16:01:49 #80 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.