My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

The receiver is not receiving a signal

(80 posts)
  1. andysue

andysue

MIB - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well this isn't out working so well - we've installed the new aerial and whilst we got the channels we had before, we're still not getting the new ones (even though they showed up when the aerial was plugged directly into my TV), so we've had to call a guy out but he can't come until tomorrow.
    To be continued....

This is better than watching the tv, cant wait for the next episode. People that work Sundays as well, wow.
    Joking aside I think I may have to go down the same route & see what they say if I can find a reputable installer.

| Sat 24 Mar 2018 18:41:19 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

Update:

Tonight we shall be watching our TV shows in SD because we've now lost the signal to all of our HD channels....

| Sat 24 Mar 2018 19:47:46 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

And so the saga continues...

The engineer has just been and after spending 90 minutes with us, the problem was partly down to the old amplifier in the lofty not being up to scratch for the new aerial and other gear.

With that fixed, we now have he missing channels back on our TVs. My 4000T however is a different story. For some reason the box just isn't picking up the signals for the missing channels yet the signal is definitely there because the guy checked them with his reader.

I did a reboot and a new software check to no avail so the bottom line is my 4000T has to go back to the shop for a check-up. I only bought it in September from Richer Sounds so it is still under warranty and part of their protection/repair deal too.

Also the splitter I bought the other day was apparently causing problems according to the engineer so that was £5 wasted too.

What a palava.

| Sun 25 Mar 2018 11:43:01 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

scgf

I again lost some channels yesterday - I got the yellow message saying the signal was too weak. Not true as another Freeview receiver using the same aerial picked up those same channels just fine. I did another reboot and the channels are back again. Sounds like there is an issue. I'm annoyed I bought the box from Currys and not Amazon as a return is going to be so much more difficult at Currys. No doubt they're going to have to send it away somewhere and I'll have to wait a couple of weeks.

Is it possible to deal directly with Humax, given I registered the box with them the same say I bought it? Might it be quicker this way?

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 10:29:18 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

scgf - 42 minutes ago  » 
    I again lost some channels yesterday - I got the yellow message saying the signal was too weak. Not true as another Freeview receiver using the same aerial picked up those same channels just fine. I did another reboot and the channels are back again. Sounds like there is an issue. I'm annoyed I bought the box from Currys and not Amazon as a return is going to be so much more difficult at Currys. No doubt they're going to have to send it away somewhere and I'll have to wait a couple of weeks.
    Is it possible to deal directly with Humax, given I registered the box with them the same say I bought it? Might it be quicker this way?

Perhaps not! If you check out THIS POST from a parallel thread you'll see the issue might be with the signal being too high thus it needs reducing.

I'm about to try this myself.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 11:14:27 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

scgf

Cheers for that. Will see if it happens again and maybe give it a try.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 13:38:22 #46 |
  7. Gobbl

Gobbl

Might be a long shot, but have you tried a full retune rather than a smart one? (Beware you will loose all your scheduling, etc...). The reason I suggest is that it will allow you to set the region correctly which maybe set wrong and stopping the reviewer accessing the HD channels, but this only applies if you get signals from multiple transmitters in your area. This was how an engineer solved the same issue for me when my TV's and his analyser could get the signals but not the Humax.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 14:06:23 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

Gobbl - 1 hour ago  » 
    Might be a long shot, but have you tried a full retune rather than a smart one? (Beware you will loose all your scheduling, etc...).

This is exactly what is stopping me from doing a full retune as I have a lot of recordings I don't want to lose.

The reason I suggest is that it will allow you to set the region correctly which maybe set wrong and stopping the reviewer accessing the HD channels, but this only applies if you get signals from multiple transmitters in your area.

This was how an engineer solved the same issue for me when my TV's and his analyser could get the signals but not the Humax.

Funnily enough when I did the retune yesterday while the engineer was here, for the first ever I got the message about setting the region which I have never see before, but that was from a smart retune and not a full one.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 15:13:52 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

Finally! Attached the attenuator to the 4000T, gave it a tweak and I'm now back in business again with my missing channels!

Thanks for all your advice, help and patience folks!

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 16:33:32 #49 |
  10. andysue

andysue

One other thing I have done for years is solder the middle wire in the coax. If you run a lot of tvs this can help as each connection can lose signal. I guess in your case that doesnt matter but may help others.
    I have an aerial guy coming out Thursday to give me a quote for a longer 2" pole & a Log 36 Periodic like Graham said. I am also going to have some bird spikes fitted to stop the pigeons perching. They make a mess & make the arial go boing boing when they fly off! wakes me up!
    I could fit all this myself but I havnt got the meters to test the signal. I know you can use the tv but it is a bit awkward with me on the roof & her indoors on the phone. Plus I need to align the aerial at its best with this great big oak tree in the way.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 16:49:51 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.