My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

The receiver is not receiving a signal

(80 posts)
  1. Gobbl

Gobbl

MIB - 1 hour ago  » 

Gobbl - 1 hour ago  » 
    Might be a long shot, but have you tried a full retune rather than a smart one? (Beware you will loose all your scheduling, etc...).

This is exactly what is stopping me from doing a full retune as I have a lot of recordings I don't want to lose.

You only loose the schedule, not the programs already recorded.
    Glad your sorted.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 16:51:39 #51 |
  2. andysue

andysue

Gobbl - 9 minutes ago  » 

MIB - 1 hour ago  » 

Gobbl - 1 hour ago  » 
    Might be a long shot, but have you tried a full retune rather than a smart one? (Beware you will loose all your scheduling, etc...).
    This is exactly what is stopping me from doing a full retune as I have a lot of recordings I don't want to lose.

You only loose the schedule, not the programs already recorded.
    Glad your sorted.

Another tip, take a picture of your schedule with your phone, then you can just look at it & reset your schedule if you lose it.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 17:03:01 #52 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

MIB - 2 hours ago  » 
    Finally! Attached the attenuator to the 4000T, gave it a tweak and I'm now back in business again with my missing channels!
    Thanks for all your advice, help and patience folks!

Result

Amazing a so called professional didn't try the fairly obvious.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 18:56:17 #53 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andysue - 2 hours ago  » 
    One other thing I have done for years is solder the middle wire in the coax. If you run a lot of tvs this can help as each connection can lose signal. I guess in your case that doesnt matter but may help others.
    I have an aerial guy coming out Thursday to give me a quote for a longer 2" pole & a Log 36 Periodic like Graham said. I am also going to have some bird spikes fitted to stop the pigeons perching. They make a mess & make the arial go boing boing when they fly off! wakes me up!
    I could fit all this myself but I havnt got the meters to test the signal. I know you can use the tv but it is a bit awkward with me on the roof & her indoors on the phone. Plus I need to align the aerial at its best with this great big oak tree in the way.

Gave up messing with Belling Lee connectors. I use WF100/PF100 cable and screw on F connectors. Simply add the appropriate F to Belling Male or Female adaptor as required.

The Log 36 is connected using a F connector with the coax fed through the boom to the impedance matching balun at the front of the aerial.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 19:00:38 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

Gobbl - 1 hour ago  » You only loose the schedule, not the programs already recorded.

Ah, mea culpa. I must have confused this with a factory reset.

andysue - 2 hours ago
    Another tip, take a picture of your schedule with your phone, then you can just look at it & reset your schedule if you lose it.

Actually I don't own a smartphone! Plus I only had two shows on there anyway so they're not too difficult to remember!

grahamlthompson - 43 minutes ago  » 
    Result

Thanks!

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 19:40:24 #55 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

MIB - 40 seconds ago  » 

Gobbl - 1 hour ago  » You only loose the schedule, not the programs already recorded.

Ah, mea culpa. I must have confused this with a factory reset.
    Actually I don't own a smartphone! Plus I only had two shows on there anyway so they're not too difficult to remember!

grahamlthompson - 43 minutes ago  » 
    Result

Thanks!

A factory reset doesn't lose your existing recordings provide you avoid the option that formats the hard disk.

It does reset any settings changes you may have made to defaults.

eg Box Volume, Power saving options, digital audio out settings for HDMI and S/Pdif, and Remote serving options etc.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 19:45:00 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

Duly noted. Thanks again!

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 21:03:49 #57 |
  8. davidrew

davidrew

special member

MIB - 4 hours ago  » 
    Finally! Attached the attenuator to the 4000T, gave it a tweak and I'm now back in business again with my missing channels!

MIB. Out of interest what were your signal strengths before you fitted the attenuator? I have between around 83% and 98% depending on the channel.

Thanks

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 21:11:26 #58 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 5 minutes ago  » 

MIB - 4 hours ago  » 

MIB. Out of interest what were your signal strengths before you fitted the attenuator? I have between around 83% and 98% depending on the channel.
    Thanks

When you have a tuner overload situation, the signal clipping confuses the boxes relatively crude signal measuring system. The quality is a much better indication. You then get the confusing situation that reducing the signal level actually increases the indicated level. Best to tune a attenuator for best quality.

As a example I have some channels at 40% signal but 100% quality.

A clean signal free of impulse interference is much more important.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 21:45:41 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

davidrew - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks

Sorry but to be honest I never actively checked beyond the yellow line that appears under the channel name when selecting a channel, which was either absent or almost imperceptibly small.

Checking now, I have 100% quality but 83% strength for the channels I lost, whilst the existing one are 100% for both. My TV is a little different however, in reverse with higher strength over quality for the channels I once lost.

But like Graham says, I have found that quality tends to exceed strength in most cases.

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 22:46:26 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.