My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

The receiver is not receiving a signal

(80 posts)
  1. andysue

andysue

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 

andysue - 2 hours ago  » 
    One other thing I have done for years is solder the middle wire in the coax. If you run a lot of tvs this can help as each connection can lose signal. I guess in your case that doesnt matter but may help others.

I have an aerial guy coming out Thursday to give me a quote for a longer 2" pole & a Log 36 Periodic like Graham said. I am also going to have some bird spikes fitted to stop the pigeons perching. They make a mess & make the arial go boing boing when they fly off! wakes me up!
    I could fit all this myself but I havnt got the meters to test the signal. I know you can use the tv but it is a bit awkward with me on the roof & her indoors on the phone. Plus I need to align the aerial at its best with this great big oak tree in the way.

Gave up messing with Belling Lee connectors. I use WF100/PF100 cable and screw on F connectors. Simply add the appropriate F to Belling Male or Female adaptor as required.
    The Log 36 is connected using a F connector with the coax fed through the boom to the impedance matching balun at the front of the aerial.

Thanks for that, I have used copper on copper but not sure of the make. Had a reel of it left over from my work days as an electrician at the MEB.
    This is interesting :- http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml

| Mon 26 Mar 2018 23:43:57 #61 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andysue - 10 hours ago  » 

andysue - 2 hours ago  » 
    One other thing I have done for years is solder the middle wire in the coax. If you run a lot of tvs this can help as each connection can lose signal. I guess in your case that doesnt matter but may help others.
    I have an aerial guy coming out Thursday to give me a quote for a longer 2" pole & a Log 36 Periodic like Graham said. I am also going to have some bird spikes fitted to stop the pigeons perching. They make a mess & make the arial go boing boing when they fly off! wakes me up!
    I could fit all this myself but I havnt got the meters to test the signal. I know you can use the tv but it is a bit awkward with me on the roof & her indoors on the phone. Plus I need to align the aerial at its best with this great big oak tree in the way.

Gave up messing with Belling Lee connectors. I use WF100/PF100 cable and screw on F connectors. Simply add the appropriate F to Belling Male or Female adaptor as required.
    The Log 36 is connected using a F connector with the coax fed through the boom to the impedance matching balun at the front of the aerial.

Thanks for that, I have used copper on copper but not sure of the make. Had a reel of it left over from my work days as an electrician at the MEB.
    This is interesting :- http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml

That's either out of date or US based.

Air spaced dialectric isn't a good idea as it can act as a water pipe sending water into a connected box,

This is generally the best cable for both satellite and terrestrial use.

http://www.webro.com/coaxial/tv-satellite/wf100-cable/

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 10:40:13 #62 |
  3. andysue

andysue

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

andysue - 2 hours ago  » 

Air spaced dialectric isn't a good idea as it can act as a water pipe sending water into a connected box,

Thats true thanks, I may change the main one to the aerial. It wont reach any way if I have a higher pole & the aerial is connected at the end. All the other ones run from the loft feeding other TVs but are not subject to outside conditions.
    We shall see what the guy from RCK-services says when he comes Thursday.It maybe that nothing will help because of our position in Redditch. I wonder how those people in Wychbold get on with all those Aerials in the way I always lose my radio going through there in the car.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 13:59:10 #63 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andysue - 43 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

andysue - 2 hours ago  » 

Thats true thanks, I may change the main one to the aerial. It wont reach any way if I have a higher pole & the aerial is connected at the end. All the other ones run from the loft feeding other TVs but are not subject to outside conditions.
    We shall see what the guy from RCK-services says when he comes Thursday.It maybe that nothing will help because of our position in Redditch. I wonder how those people in Wychbold get on with all those Aerials in the way I always lose my radio going through there in the car.

Screwfix in Redditch sell PF100 which is near identical to WF100. They also have the f connectors and Belling Lee convertors.

WF100/PF100 make excellent interconnects as the double screening helps in avoiding issues with HDMI inteconnect interference with terrestrial TV.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-pf100-satellite-coaxial-cable-100m-black/37838?_requestid=297073

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-coaxial-f-plug-pack-of-10/17061

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-f-to-coax-plugs-pack-of-10/39772

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-f-to-coax-adaptors-pack-of-10/33532

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 14:52:47 #64 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

I would also recommend WF100/PF100. I replaced downleads that I could get to ages ago, plus made up my own fly leads.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 18:59:15 #65 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jonnyu1

I am on Crystal Palace - I lost this, and other channels, with the upgrade on my 2 year old Freeview Play TV and my Fox T2 PVR.

The PVR died when I did a factory reset, so I bought an FVP-5000T - that also is short some channels, but interestingly fewer than the TV -106 loss is common to both.

After a 15 minute wait for the Freeview helpdesk, and a pointless conversation, a visit from an engineer was scheduled, who didn't turn up, and has been rescheduled for a fortnight.

The helpdesk point to re-programming. reset and new aerials. My Aerial is not brand new, but is Wideband. They now admit that about 2 out of 10 users are having problems and will need a fix if some sort - to be determined.

They seem to have caused significant problems with this - seemingly to free capacity for mobile phones.

| Thu 29 Mar 2018 21:21:42 #66 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

The Freeview helpline is hopeless. We rang them, got told a tech person would ring us back and they never did. You're better off cancelling that appointment and following the advice in this thread - save yourself a few quid in the process.

It would be typical if you end up probably just needing a variable attenuator to reduce the signal to your PVR like I did, which was a huge solution to my channel loss problem (new aerial and amplifier not withstanding).

| Thu 29 Mar 2018 21:54:52 #67 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jonnyu1 - 32 minutes ago  » 
    I am on Crystal Palace - I lost this, and other channels, with the upgrade on my 2 year old Freeview Play TV and my Fox T2 PVR.
    The PVR died when I did a factory reset, so I bought an FVP-5000T - that also is short some channels, but interestingly fewer than the TV -106 loss is common to both.
    After a 15 minute wait for the Freeview helpdesk, and a pointless conversation, a visit from an engineer was scheduled, who didn't turn up, and has been rescheduled for a fortnight.
    The helpdesk point to re-programming. reset and new aerials. My Aerial is not brand new, but is Wideband. They now admit that about 2 out of 10 users are having problems and will need a fix if some sort - to be determined.
    They seem to have caused significant problems with this - seemingly to free capacity for mobile phones.

How do you know your aerial is wideband ?

Can you see the colour of the plastic plug on the end of the boom ?

| Thu 29 Mar 2018 21:55:44 #68 |
  9. andysue

andysue

andysue - 3 days ago  » 

Well the Aerial guy came out today & was really helpful & nice & didnt try to rip me off & gave free advice. If I had a taller pole, a new aerial, new variable booster he still couldnt guarantee the channels. So I am going to wait to see what happens when the leaves are back on the oak tree & perhaps they may boost the signal back on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter. Redditch is a problem being down the dip.
    I have also read up on the 36 log periodic & it apears to be made by vision & Optima & the prices vary but dont understand the group K type. Is this wideband?
    Also they have now bought another one out which is another one (L36FK) http://optima-tv.com/l36fk/ that is now in a range to get away from the 5G frequency.
    But I cant find anywhere selling one.
    I dont want to buy one that is going to be out of date again. This is getting as bad as updating Windows. Is this all going to start again when they switch on 5G ?

| Thu 29 Mar 2018 23:28:05 #69 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andysue - 3 days ago  » 

Well the Aerial guy came out today & was really helpful & nice & didnt try to rip me off & gave free advice. If I had a taller pole, a new aerial, new variable booster he still couldnt guarantee the channels. So I am going to wait to see what happens when the leaves are back on the oak tree & perhaps they may boost the signal back on the Sutton Coldfield transmitter. Redditch is a problem being down the dip.
    I have also read up on the 36 log periodic & it apears to be made by vision & Optima & the prices vary but dont understand the group K type. Is this wideband?
    Also they have now bought another one out which is another one (L36FK) http://optima-tv.com/l36fk/ that is now in a range to get away from the 5G frequency.
    But I cant find anywhere selling one.
    I dont want to buy one that is going to be out of date again. This is getting as bad as updating Windows. Is this all going to start again when they switch on 5G ?

Group K is the new wideband, it replaced the log 40 which covered 21-68. The 4 dipoles that covered the 800 MHz band are removed. In effect building in a 4G filter.

The new aerial you linked to will not work with COM 7 and Com 8 as it doesn't cover UHF 55 and 56.

Don't worry about 700 MHz clearance when it happens you just need a filter.

| Fri 30 Mar 2018 10:13:49 #70 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.