My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

The receiver is not receiving a signal

(80 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

shaunb51

davidrew - 1 day ago  » 

shaunb51 - 12 hours ago  » 
    I know it's a bit late, but I had this happen on mine within the first couple of weeks until by 6 weeks it was all channels. The box had to be returned.

Did you have a replacement 5000T and is that now working?
    This is interesting as I had the same problem with BBC NEWS HD yesterday on my 1 week old 5000T. The only thing that has changed on the Oxford transmitter in the last week is that RF channels 31 (COM7) and 55 (COM6) have been swapped so BBC NEWS HD is now on 55. I did a SMART retune which worked with no obvious problems and when I have a signal its 79% strength and 100% quality.
    A survey on the 5000T of all the RF channels returns 100% quality on all of them and the following strengths:
    31: 88
    37: 87
    50: 88
    53+: 89
    55: 79
    57: 91
    59-: 83
    60-: 84
    I am new to Freeview, as a recent defector from Freesat, so I don't know if that is good or bad. I did read another article saying anything above 75% signal strength can be too much for some tuner equipment to handle, so I don't know if that is the problem, but there are no warnings in the 5000T manual about too much signal.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

I've been dealing with pc's etc since I was 14, a lot less now, but it means I knew a good deal of the basic checks.

Short answer is, yes the 5000T does work however, I do not have a HD tv and from my initial reading regarding moving/copying and playing HD recordings on other devices, due to their encryption (I need to dig deeper on that), I do not record in HD and in fact I have deleted all the HD channels and I had to go through and delete a load of other channels as the box stupidly pick up Wales and West, which caused a great deal of problems.

I moved the box around the house to check the signal as I have a 4 way amplified spliter in the attic running of 1 digital arial however it is powering 6 outlets. It also helped that I had 2 other PVR's here which I could move at the same time to check for problems.

I was on the phone to Humax yesterday regarding transfering files and they stated they were aware of problems with that issue and are looking to get a new firmware upgrade out.

Have a search around and if you cannot find the answer, give them a ring, get the issue reported within the first month and if it continues then I don't think you have to take their offer to repair, but insted you can ask for a return and refund.

| Tue 6 Mar 2018 15:17:11 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

shaunb51 - 2 minutes ago  » 

davidrew - 1 day ago  » 

shaunb51 - 12 hours ago  » 
    I know it's a bit late, but I had this happen on mine within the first couple of weeks until by 6 weeks it was all channels. The box had to be returned.

Did you have a replacement 5000T and is that now working?
    This is interesting as I had the same problem with BBC NEWS HD yesterday on my 1 week old 5000T. The only thing that has changed on the Oxford transmitter in the last week is that RF channels 31 (COM7) and 55 (COM6) have been swapped so BBC NEWS HD is now on 55. I did a SMART retune which worked with no obvious problems and when I have a signal its 79% strength and 100% quality.
    A survey on the 5000T of all the RF channels returns 100% quality on all of them and the following strengths:
    31: 88
    37: 87
    50: 88
    53+: 89
    55: 79
    57: 91
    59-: 83
    60-: 84
    I am new to Freeview, as a recent defector from Freesat, so I don't know if that is good or bad. I did read another article saying anything above 75% signal strength can be too much for some tuner equipment to handle, so I don't know if that is the problem, but there are no warnings in the 5000T manual about too much signal.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

I've been dealing with pc's etc since I was 14, a lot less now, but it means I knew a good deal of the basic checks.
    Short answer is, yes the 5000T does work however, I do not have a HD tv and from my initial reading regarding moving/copying and playing HD recordings on other devices, due to their encryption (I need to dig deeper on that), I do not record in HD and in fact I have deleted all the HD channels and I had to go through and delete a load of other channels as the box stupidly pick up Wales and West, which caused a great deal of problems.
    I moved the box around the house to check the signal as I have a 4 way amplified spliter in the attic running of 1 digital arial however it is powering 6 outlets. It also helped that I had 2 other PVR's here which I could move at the same time to check for problems.
    I was on the phone to Humax yesterday regarding transfering files and they stated they were aware of problems with that issue and are looking to get a new firmware upgrade out.
    Hve a search around and if you cannot find the answer, give them a ring.

There is no such thing as a digital aerial. It's a analogue device receiving the same analogue UHF carriers as any other UHF Aerial.

The fact that the modulation happens to carry digital rather than analogue data is irrelevant. It's a sales con designed to sell new aerials to those who think they need new aerials, when in fact 99% do not. Only reason you might need a new one is if your present aerial is a group one and carrier frequency changes put them out of group for your present aerial.

This site is an excellent resource for all things related to terrestrial TV reception.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/atvschoiceofaerials.html

| Tue 6 Mar 2018 15:24:58 #12 |
  3. athomson

athomson

special member

Freeview is having issues at this time that reduces the signal strength and quality. A retune after they have finished in your area, for example for me on crystal palace I should retune on or after the 21st of march. Check Future Work

Andy

| Tue 6 Mar 2018 16:23:37 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

I was just about to post on this subject but with different channels affected.

The ones that effect me are all on UHF ch 35, which constantly posts a weak signal, and includes channels I watch regularly - BBC FOUR HD, 5Star +1 and Forces TV. However the problem also extends to my LG TV and other TVs in my house (two more LGs and a Sony) because we have the one aerial and its first port of call is my dad's set-up downstairs. As it happens, if my Dad has his blu-ray/Freeview HDD recorder on I can't get these channels until he switches it off again.

But the difference is that whilst my TV tends to be a bit more resilient in retrieving the signal, my 4000T is still unable to pick up a signal at all - a bummer if I want to record something on these channels.

So here is my dumb question for you to roll your eyes at: is the receiver on the 4000T weaker than my TV's? And would it be wiser to get my own aerial and would that sort the problem?

Thanks in advance.

| Sat 17 Mar 2018 14:01:10 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Do you have any kind of separately powered amplifier?
    If you do, check the settings of your Dad's pvr to see if it has any options to output a voltage (usually 5v) to the amp. If the settings are there and they are on, turn it off. If your problem only happens when your Dad's pvr is operating, I suspect that this is the culprit.

| Sat 17 Mar 2018 14:57:00 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

Thanks for the reply.

We tried that and while the channels are now back on my TV and the 4000T after changing the setting, it still only works when his PVR is switched off - switch it on again and I (and he too funnily enough) lose the channels again.

| Sat 17 Mar 2018 16:56:11 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

MIB - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply.
    We tried that and while the channels are now back on my TV and the 4000T after changing the setting, it still only works when his PVR is switched off - switch it on again and I (and he too funnily enough) lose the channels again.

Look for similar options on all of your devices.

| Sat 17 Mar 2018 17:13:23 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

I've looked on my TV and my 4000T and can't find the option for either...

| Sat 17 Mar 2018 17:38:17 #18 |
  9. Chris O

Chris O

Just retuned my box and I can no longer receive any of the channels 3, 4 or 5.
    Freeview 5000T box

| Sun 18 Mar 2018 14:21:34 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

MIB

Today is the day I was supposed to retune my TV so I did and now I've LOST 35 of my 150 channels - everything on UHF ch 35 (see previous post) and a load more, including HD channels.

Meanwhile my 4000T simply says "No single being received" for said channels.

What a costly update this was...

| Wed 21 Mar 2018 19:27:38 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.