My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Thinking of buying a HDR-1100s

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ashneedham87

Hi,
    I am thinking of buying a HDR-1100s but have some questions which I hope owners can help me with.
    I am looking at moving from sky back to freesat. I haven't been on freesat in about 4 years and it seems a lot has changed, namely freetime.
    My questions regarding the box:

• does it have a built in fan, if so can you hear it?
    • how much time does it take to boot? And does it differ if you turn off low energy standby?
    • do you notice any lag accessing the menus, epg etc?
    • is there any noticeable lag / delays when using DLNA to access content over the network?
    • are the on demand players responsive or do they have a bit of lag? I have a roku streaming stick and it seems a bit slow at times and I get the impression it will be the same on an STB
    • has anyone experienced freezing / random reboots? If so often?
    • what is the upscaling quality like

My previous freesat boxes where from bush and Samsung And they weren't great. I know bush are low end so I shouldn't have expected much from them but the Samsung had lots of issues too. It would miss recordings, take about 1-2 mins to boot and Freeze a lot. I know Humax have good reputation and I did have an old fox-t2 for a while but had to sell due to poor reception in my area.
    The sky box I have has been very good and has been fast and responsive since day one so I am a bit concerned about buying a different STB.

Thanks for any help
    Ash

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 17:42:45 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

ashneedham87 - 1 hour ago  » does it have a built in fan

No idea...

ashneedham87 - 1 hour ago  » if so can you hear it

...Because I can't hear it.

ashneedham87 - 1 hour ago  » how much time does it take to boot

About 40 secs.

ashneedham87 - 1 hour ago  » does it differ if you turn off low energy standby

No idea, never use it.

ashneedham87 - 1 hour ago  » do you notice any lag accessing the menus, epg et

None at all.

ashneedham87 - 1 hour ago  » is there any noticeable lag / delays when using DLNA to access content over the network

The DNLA client is completely hopeless/useless.

ashneedham87 - 1 hour ago  » are the on demand players responsive or do they have a bit of lag

On my network they are very responsive.

ashneedham87 - 1 hour ago  » has anyone experienced freezing / random reboots

Presently, no. Last s/w update fixed that problem.

ashneedham87 - 1 hour ago  » what is the upscaling quality like

Excellent.

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 19:14:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ashneedham87

Thanks pollensa1946
    If you had to replace it, would you buy it again?

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 19:57:16 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I disagree, it works perfectly well with my Netgear readyNAS.

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 20:12:02 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ashneedham87

Barry - 1 minute ago  » 

I have a Synology diskstation and was looking to connect to a plex server running on it. I suppose the server can be just as much a problem as the client.

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 20:17:50 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

ashneedham87 - 10 hours ago  » 
    Thanks pollensa1946
    If you had to replace it, would you buy it again?

I should have mentioned, I have the older 1000S model. It's not a ground-breaking, innovative box and initially had lots of problems, although it has now matured into a nice, stable box. For Freesat it's the best that's available. So, on balance, yes I would buy again.

| Thu 8 Oct 2015 6:57:56 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Barry - 10 hours ago  » 

This discussion has ranged back and forth since the box was introduced in 2012. Some, like myself, have been unable to use it ( I have a QNAP NAS), others have no difficulty. I consider myself fairly expert in this field so qualified to comment as I did. On the now defunct Freesat forum I documented the problems at length. They deleted my post (which was not uncommon for many contributors) and simply ignored it. I have a simple, stand-alone media player alongside the Humax, cost around 70 Pounds, works perfectly with my NAS.

| Thu 8 Oct 2015 7:03:17 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ashneedham87

Does anyone know if there are any major differences with the 1100s compared to the 1000s except the box design and wifi? I have seen quite a few 1000s about second hand and refrub that are considerably cheaper and was considering one. I only plan to use it for 2-3 years then review the best platform at that point.

| Fri 9 Oct 2015 8:34:26 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Afaik we do not know for definite about the hardware being identical. But we do know that the same software is used for 1000S/1010S and 1100S, so any difference must be relatively small.

I have had a 1000S since launch and it has been flawless (I did stick a 2TB drive in it (like Repassac) fairly soon after I got it.

| Fri 9 Oct 2015 8:59:41 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

And I've been more than pleased with my single-tuner HB1000S. Considering it only cost £80 new, it's just about the best-value media tech item I've ever owned.

| Fri 9 Oct 2015 16:50:15 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.