My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Transfer files between Aura and PC - manual saysOK

(75 posts)
  1. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Martin Liddle - 11 hours ago  » 

Geoff_W - 11 hours ago  » 
    Update - I've finally discovered what was preventing the FTP clients from working. On the Aura, in Record and Share, I had to switch on Allow Anonymous.

Can you now connect to the Aura via the TP-Link WiFi extender?

When I posted yesterday I was connected via the Extender. I managed to download a 3.5Gb .ts file but when I started another download FileZilla lost connection part way through. I've not been able to establish any connection since. It's very frustrating as I don't know what the issue is. The FTP clients are reporting that the Aura is actively refusing the connection. Nothing has changed in the settings on the Aura, so it's a mystery.

| Sat 11 Dec 2021 11:33:07 #71 |
  2. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Final posting - problem solved; it was the TP-Link Extender all along.

When the Extender is first set up it creates its own device name as <BT Router Name>_EXT. Thus if my BT router name is BT-ABCD4, then the Extender names itself BT-ABCD4_EXT. This latter name is seen as a separate network, but most devices switch seamlessly from one to the other depending on the signal strength. However, with my laptop connected to BT-ABCD4 and the Aura connected to BT-ABCD4_EXT, the FTP clients (FileZilla and WinSCP) were having none of it and refused to connect. I suspect that on the rare occasions when I got a connection, my laptop had connected to BT-ABCD_EXT.

With a certain amount of Googling I found that the Extender's name could be changed to that of the BT router (the signals just overlap around the house). Once I had amended the IP addresses everything worked properly and I have now been able to transfer all my laptop video files to the Aura.

My Marantz NR-1506 AV Receiver refuses to connect to Wi-Fi at all (previously connected to the Router), but that's no loss as it's only used for updates.

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 15:30:16 #72 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I too kept losing the Aura from File Explorer. I found the solution by searching for connect media server which found https://www.elevenforum.com/t/add-or-remove-media-server-in-windows-11-file-explorer.10359/#Two

I'm still on W10 and did this.

1. Open File Explorer
    2. Go to This PC
    3. Open Access Media icon at top
    4. Connect to server. It installs files.
    5. Close and re-open File Explorer.

The Aura now shows and I can see and copy the files from Aura to the PC.

The big problem with copying from Aura to PC is the slow speed. The file transfer starts out at about 15 MB/sec but after a few GB it drops to less than 1 MB/sec. If I pause the copy, wait ages for the play button to appear in the progress popup, and click play (to undo the pause), it starts again at 15 MB/sec.

The PC and Aura are on the same wi-fi network and I also have an Ethernet cable from Aura to router. TaskManager shows all traffic is across the Ethernet link.

| Wed 12 Jul 2023 19:21:11 #73 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JohnH77 - 1 hour ago <a
    The big problem with copying from Aura to PC is the slow speed. The file transfer starts out at about 15 MB/sec but after a few GB it drops to less than 1 MB/sec. If I pause the copy, wait ages for the play button to appear in the progress popup, and click play (to undo the pause), it starts again at 15 MB/sec.
    The PC and Aura are on the same wi-fi network and I also have an Ethernet cable from Aura to router. TaskManager shows all traffic is across the Ethernet link.

Have you considered using FTP for the file transfer which in my experiments gave a pretty steady speed?

| Wed 12 Jul 2023 20:47:25 #74 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I haven't tried FTP because I am a wimp and I haven't used it before so I haven't gone up the learning curve ...

However, I tried the copy again and this time it ran at a steady 15MB/sec. I am wondering if the slow speed was because I was watching something at the same time as I was copying the first time, but not the second.

I was staggered to find that I can buy a 2TB USB memory stick for £8.50 including postage so I can archive an entire Aura disk (SD) for less than a tenner!

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/p/2tb-usb-flash-drive-memory-stick-pen-high-speed-u-disk-data-storage-pc-laptop-uk~p77885837/?lid=111679931

| Thu 13 Jul 2023 10:48:26 #75 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.