My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Transfer to PC from Latest Models?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

davie

My ancient 9200 is becoming more and more problematical so its time I think to buy a new model.
    I need to be able to transfer programs to my PC. Can all the new Freeview models do this easily?

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 9:31:33 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

davie - 1 hour ago  » 
    I need to be able to transfer programs to my PC. Can all the new Freeview models do this easily?

That would depend on your definition of easily; all the Freeview models encrypt both SD and HD content. The Freeview models (but not Youview) will decrypt and transfer Standard Definition content to attached USB storage. The FVP4000T is reported to decrypt and transfer SD over the network via a SAMBA share (but with some quirks). The easiest way is with the obsolete HDR-FOX T2 with Custom Firmware but the methods used are not a subject for discussion on this Forum.

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 10:58:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

davie

The Freeview models (but not Youview) will decrypt and transfer Standard Definition content to attached USB storage.

Well Martin, since I sit 4m from my TV then SD is fine and the method you mention above sounds easy to me; just connect a memory card or USB external disk, then via Humax menu select transfer to disk?
    Does not seem necessary to use the FOX t2 custom firmware.
    Or am I missing something?

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 12:45:48 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

davie - 2 hours ago  » 
    Well Martin, since I sit 4m from my TV then SD is fine and the method you mention above sounds easy to me; just connect a memory card or USB external disk, then via Humax menu select transfer to disk?

Yes. Any USB attached storage formatted with FAT32, EXT2/3 or for the more recent boxes NTFS will be fine; a memory card won't work.

Does not seem necessary to use the FOX t2 custom firmware.
    Or am I missing something?

The transfer to USB storage isn't very quick but if this is an occasional requirement that shouldn't be a problem.

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 14:54:51 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

davie

One of the reasons I am thinking of getting a newer PVR is that to transfer files on my 9200 I have to remove the lid and connect a parallel cable to the HD and stick the USB end into my computer. Quite a hassle I thought, that is until today when I browsed this forum for how to connect newer devices. The SAMBA solution looks to be a real hassle.
    My need is to transfer files when I have about 100Gb of programs. How long might that take on a modern device over USB?
    Today 100Gb took me about an hour on my 9200 using the above method.
    So I have factory reset and reformatted the HDD of my 9200 and hope that allows me to continue with it!

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 15:56:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

davie - 2 hours ago  » 
    Quite a hassle I thought, that is until today when I browsed this forum for how to connect newer devices. The SAMBA solution looks to be a real hassle.
    My need is to transfer files when I have about 100Gb of programs. How long might that take on a modern device over USB?
    Today 100Gb took me about an hour on my 9200 using the above method.

I would guess it would take significantly longer as the need to decrypt really slows it down. However if you are only copying off to allow formatting and then replacing the files then you could use the built in FTP server which should be significantly faster. Also the Linux EXT3 file system used by the later boxes is a lot more robust than the 9200 file system so would be less likely to require formatting.

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 18:17:22 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.