My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Triax output (SCART) and HDMI

(23 posts)
  1. Grime

Grime

I have a HDR 1000 and wish to connect up the local telly, via the HDMI output of the Humax box and, *at the same time* utilise the SCART output to send a Triax (RF) modulated output to TVs in other parts of my house. My question is: Can I connect up the scart without losing signal via HDMI?

| Sun 25 May 2014 16:14:21 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yes - all the outputs are active at the same time. You don't have to use the scart, the box has CVBS (Yellow) and Stereo Audio (Red/White) RCA Phono outputs.

| Sun 25 May 2014 17:21:03 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a similar - maybe even the same - question. With my Sky+ box, I utilise the RF out to feed an unpowered box in my loft, which then feeds a couple of TV's around the house via ordinary TV aerial coax. If the Sky box is turned off, all the connected TVs can still receive the FTA channels, however if I unplug the Sky box they can't. When I completely remove the Sky+ box will the solution mentioned here do the same? Thank you.

| Mon 26 May 2014 16:19:56 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Firstly are sure the box in the loft is unpowered ? A Sky box RF2 out provides 9V power for magic eyes and a suitable amplifier. Easy test unplug the aerial from the sky box rf in socket and connect it to the cable connected to rf2 out. If the remote TV's still work you need a splitter like this one to feed your local TV and the remote loft box.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-2-way-splitter-with-power-pass-all-ports/99105

Do you use magic eyes to remotely control the Sky box ?

| Mon 26 May 2014 16:39:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply. Yep, the loft box is not powered by anything other than the power from the Sky+ RF out socket. Coax from the Sky+ RF out goes up to the loft and into the box, the box then has four connections to allow you to run coax elsewhere (I think we're using two at the mo). We can watch what's showing on the Sky+ box but rarely do, we generally just use this to allow each TV connected to the loft box to pick up the freeview channels (which they won't if you unplug the Sky+ box). It appears that once I lose the Sky+ box I'll lose this unless the Scart connector on the back of the Humax can somehow help. I had to go in to the Sky+ box installer's menu to enable the RF out socket to work when I set this up. We don't have any Magic Eye in the loop.

| Mon 26 May 2014 16:56:47 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hoops - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    Thanks for the reply. Yep, the loft box is not powered by anything other than the power from the Sky+ RF out socket. Coax from the Sky+ RF out goes up to the loft and into the box, the box then has four connections to allow you to run coax elsewhere (I think we're using two at the mo). We can watch what's showing on the Sky+ box but rarely do, we generally just use this to allow each TV connected to the loft box to pick up the freeview channels (which they won't if you unplug the Sky+ box). It appears that once I lose the Sky+ box I'll lose this unless the Scart connector on the back of the Humax can somehow help. I had to go in to the Sky+ box installer's menu to enable the RF out socket to work when I set this up. We don't have any Magic Eye in the loop.

Are you going to replace the Sky box with another pvr (Freeview or Freesat) ? If so the Triax Tri-link unit will provide the power and also allow remote control of the new box if you add some magic eyes at the remote TV's.

Depending on how good a signal you have you may be able to simply swap the loft box for a passive splitter.

| Mon 26 May 2014 19:13:28 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

Hi Graham, thanks for the reply and sorry for taking ages to answer (I work away from home). The 1010s is the replacement for the Sky+ box but I can't get shot of the Sky+ box just yet as we have a subscription to BT Sport to watch MotoGP :wink:. Anyway, when that subscription runs out the Sky+ box will be going leaving me with just the 1010s. In anticipation of that I'm trying to sort out how other TVs around the house can continue getting a signal - as I said, at the moment this is achieved by using the RF out of the Sky+ box which, via ordinary coax antenna cabling, goes straight to a distribution box in my loft - which is definitely unpowered This then goes to other TVs around the house, via the same type of coax, which will allow them to pick up a signal to tune into the Freeview channels. If I unplug the Sky+ box from the power, the TVs connected via this distribution box do not receive a signal and we cannot watch anything on them. What I'm trying to find out is will the scart on the back of the 1010s be able to reproduce this? So, if I can get some sort of scart to RF adapter, I can plug the existing coax cable into this and still allow the TVs connected by the distribution box in my loft to get a signal. Is this right?

I don't need to use Magic Eyes at all - if we can watch the 1010s channel it's currently on with this setup that's a bonus but not a necessity.

Sorry for the War & Peace post, just trying to explain myself better.

Thanks, Hoops.

| Sun 1 Jun 2014 10:35:30 #7 |
  8. Grime

Grime

Hi Hoops,

Yes. I can confirm the SCART output on your HDR 1010 box will produce the 9V output. I would suggest you purchase the following (copy these expressions into an Amazon search window):

TRIAX TRI-LINK Kit Control Sky, Freesat, Freeview around the home.

along with (to boost the signal if needed)

TRIAX 334035 " AMPLIFIER- 4 WAY 1 INPUT''-(TV Accessory)

plus these adapters, which are essential

F Plug Male to Coax Socket Female Adaptor x 5 by electrosmart®

(I have discovered everything relies upon robust connection!!)

Feel free to update the post and I'll help you in any way I can

| Sun 1 Jun 2014 11:04:51 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Grime - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Hoops,
    Yes. I can confirm the SCART output on your HDR 1010 box will produce the 9V output. I would suggest you purchase the following (copy these expressions into an Amazon search window):
    TRIAX TRI-LINK Kit Control Sky, Freesat, Freeview around the home.
    along with (to boost the signal if needed)
    TRIAX 334035 " AMPLIFIER- 4 WAY 1 INPUT''-(TV Accessory)
    plus these adapters, which are essential
    F Plug Male to Coax Socket Female Adaptor x 5 by electrosmart®
    (I have discovered everything relies upon robust connection!!)
    Feel free to update the post and I'll help you in any way I can

There's no 9V output from a scart socket. The Triax tri-link modulator provides the 9V supply. The scart merely provides Composite Video (CVBS) and Stereo Analogue audi. The same signals are available from the Yellow Red and White RCA phono output sockets. You don't need the F to Belling Lee converters, simply fit a f connector directly to the coax where a connection to a f socket is required. They are very simple to fit, lots of instructions on the internet.

| Sun 1 Jun 2014 11:29:33 #9 |
  10. Grime

Grime

yep quite right it is the triax box which generates the 9v output. My mistake there

I suggested getting the adapters as it is simple matter to fit them (2 seconds) and the cost is so slight compared to half an hour's work fitting f-type connectors (which you will have to buy anyway :P) But the principle of reducing your number of connection points is still a good one and maybe over-archs my own suggestion.

| Sun 1 Jun 2014 12:14:38 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.