My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Unable to access via mobile network

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DtheD

I'm unable to access my box via mobile network but it's fine by WiFi, the box is connected via ethernet to BT fibre. The mobile network is Voxi (Vodafone).

| Sun 23 Jan 2022 1:06:20 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

MickO

You can't as it requires a connection to your home network to work, which is usually WiFi.
    Its a real balls ache of an app, box and all.
    However outside your home wifi network connection...
    Run a home VPN, connect to that, then run your app to connect, be it WiFi or Mobile data. Even then it takes years to populate some of the app pages such as TV Guide etc. My home broadband is 100Mbs FttP both ways, so I know it's not MY network which is SLOW.
    I haven't tried it for some while, as my VPN isn't running at the moment.

| Sun 23 Jan 2022 15:00:43 #2 |
  3. brian

brian

special member

MickO - 9 mins ago  » 
    You can't as it requires a connection to your home network to work, which is usually WiFi.
    Its a real balls ache of an app, box and all.
    However outside your home wifi network connection...
    Run a home VPN, connect to that, then run your app to connect, be it WiFi or Mobile data. Even then it takes years to populate some of the app pages such as TV Guide etc. My home broadband is 100Mbs FttP both ways, so I know it's not MY network which is SLOW.
    I haven't tried it for some while, as my VPN isn't running at the moment.

This is not the case, it is certainly possible to access via mobile network, as I have done this on numerous occasions without any problems.

| Sun 23 Jan 2022 15:15:10 #3 |
  4. Mars

Mars

special member

With the app, if not connected to the local network then you can access: TV Guide and Schedule (but these connect to the Humax server rather than the box and the box checks the server every so often) and Downloads, which are on your mobile device. Hence, you can set up recordings remotely. You have to be connected to your local network to access: On Now, Recordings, and Casting.

| Sun 23 Jan 2022 17:17:27 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

DtheD

Shame really because I thought I had a bonus as Slingbox (I think)is shutting down this year .

| Mon 24 Jan 2022 0:28:29 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

To access from ther internet you would need a static IP or a router that supported a dynamic DNS. You would also need to set port redirection so that external communication of the box used ports sare sent to the Box. Think you would need to assign a static address to the Box in the DHCP server.

As brian says it is possible. He did not say it was easy. By default your lan addresses are non-routable which greatly increases the secuitity of your lan.

| Tue 25 Jan 2022 16:55:32 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jlmj2009

It's not clear what you mean to me by accessing the Aura via the mobile network... Accessing what?

You can use the Aura App on Android which allows you to access the guide data and schedule recordings upto 7 day's in advance...This works over mobile data connection.

You can Convert your existing recordings on your Aura to a format that can be downloaded to your phone or tablet using the Aura app again and once downloaded (over WiFi) these can be watched as you wish as they are saved locally. No mobile data or WiFi once the download is complete.

I've not used it extensively but it does work based on my limited testing.

Maybe this doesn't meet your needs but it's another view on your original question.

| Tue 25 Jan 2022 22:06:43 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

stanthebear

As REPASSAC says I think you can VPN to your home LAN and address the aura to play TV on your mobile given enough bandwith. I am in lockdown but it seemed to work well with my Wireguard VPN with moby on 4G not wireless playing TV from aura good quality no stutter. Wireguard is meant to be a much faster VPN protocol...

| Thu 27 Jan 2022 12:05:46 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.