My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

unable to connect to internet

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stocky

having purchased a 1TB FVP 4000T at the end of June, I eventually viewed all of the saved files on my Sony HDD recorder and duly installed my new Humax.
    After several attempts I was able to connect to my LAN but could not connect to the internet. All of my other devices (Laptop, iPads and iPhones all connect without problem) so I contacted Humax customer services and after two weeks of tests and resetting it was decided to exchange the unit as there was obviously a problem.. The new unit arrived today and is no better than the old unit.
    I can connect to network on my LAN but cannot detect internet connection.
    I cannot connect to my Wireless network.
    What do I do, get refund and go back to my old Sony unit???

| Mon 25 Jul 2016 19:51:28 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Stocky - 37 minutes ago  » 
    having purchased a 1TB FVP 4000T at the end of June, I eventually viewed all of the saved files on my Sony HDD recorder and duly installed my new Humax.
    After several attempts I was able to connect to my LAN but could not connect to the internet. All of my other devices (Laptop, iPads and iPhones all connect without problem) so I contacted Humax customer services and after two weeks of tests and resetting it was decided to exchange the unit as there was obviously a problem.. The new unit arrived today and is no better than the old unit.
    I can connect to network on my LAN but cannot detect internet connection.
    I cannot connect to my Wireless network.
    What do I do, get refund and go back to my old Sony unit???

Your router and the allocated box aren't by any chance on different subnets ? Can you post the IP address you use to logon to your router using a web browser, and the IP address and subnet mask used by your 4000T ?

| Mon 25 Jul 2016 20:31:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stocky

Thanks for the prompt reply
    I am afraid that I am not very Computer wise and some of the jargon is difficult for me to understand.
    I had assumed that the Humax would be like the Sony and reasonably 'idiot proof' for connection.
    I have looked at the local network settings on my iMac and have found the following which I then input manually on the Humax.
    IP address: 192.168.1.197
    Net mask address : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway address : 192.168.1.254
    Primary DNS? : 192.168.1.250

It appears that the 400T uses 192.168.1.250

Sorry if this is a bit vague

| Mon 25 Jul 2016 20:50:42 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Stocky - 1 hour ago  » 
    I am afraid that I am not very Computer wise and some of the jargon is difficult for me to understand.
    I had assumed that the Humax would be like the Sony and reasonably 'idiot proof' for connection.
    I have looked at the local network settings on my iMac and have found the following which I then input manually on the Humax.

Not an expert by any means. Why do you need to set up the 4000T manually, set to DHCP it should get it own settings from your routers IP address pool (DHCP allows your router to allocate a suitable IP address when the box is logged on). It's good practice to use your router settings to allocate a fixed IP address based on your box MAC address, this ensures the address never changes.

Knowing which router you have would help to set this up for you.

Why did you choose manual setup in the first place ?

If you enter in a web browser url (the address bar) 192.168.1.1 you should see your router web based login. The password to login should be printed on the router (unless you have changed it). Basically you can then see the IP address of every switched on item, with your network mask set to the one you have, 192.168.1.xx where xx could be 2 to 255.

If you post the internet supplier you use and the router type, a real expert may well be able to figure out where the problem is.

On thing is certain if you set the IP address manually to the same as one your other kit uses you have a conflict. Basically the last digits have to be unique for each item on your network.

You have used the unique IP address of your MAC computer, simply changing the last 3 digits to say 127 might work in manual setup.

| Mon 25 Jul 2016 22:29:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stocky

Thanks again for your help.
    The only reason that I tried a manual set up was that the DHCP failed to make a connection.
    My router is a standard BT Homehub5
    I will try to get Humax Customer services to help if I can tomorrow.
    Thanks

| Mon 25 Jul 2016 22:53:05 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Stocky - 4 hours ago  » 

Are you sure that the Gateway address and the Primary DNS are different? That would be unusual in a domestic setup and an incorrect DNS will stop the Humax from connecting to the Internet.

Uses it for what?

| Tue 26 Jul 2016 0:57:57 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I use a BT Home Hub and your IP settings look OK to me - with one caveat - see below.

Your BT Home Hub (router) is set up to use 192.168.1 as its first set of digits. BT Home Hub routers are a bit peculiar - with other routers you can type 192.168.1.1 into a web broswer and get taken to the router, but this doesn't work for BT Home Hubs. Instead you have to type http://bthomehub.home/ into the browser to log on to the BT Home Hub.

I think the BT Home Hub itself is 192.168.1.1 but it does not really matter.

The DHCP Server inside the BT Home Hub offers IP addresses of the form 192.168.1.x and, once the Home Hub sees the Humax asking to connect, the Humax should automatically be given an address 192.168.1."something".

The caveat?

You say "I then input manually on the Humax..."

You should not do that! You should let the BT Home Hub automatically give the Humax an IP address. The DHCP server inside the BT Home Hub keeps track of which IP addresses it gives to which devices. I don't know what happens if you force the IP address on the Humax to be, say, 192.168.1.123 - I don't know if the Home Hub will recognise the address (after all - it did not give the address!) and communicate with it.

(Note: With some routers you can pre-assign an IP adress to be used for a specific device. You set up the router to reserve, say, 192.168.1.123 and the router never allocate its. You then manually set up the device to use 192.168.1.123. I am not sure if you can do this with the BT HOme Hub.)

So ...

1 Physically power off and unplug the Humax - this guarantees it loses the IP address it now holds.

2 Power the Humax on and let the BT Home Hub give the Humax an IP address

3 Check which devices are connected to the BT Home Hub by logging on to it by typing http://bthomehub.home/ into the browser. Save it as a bookmark for future reference

4 See the attached image where I have several devices attached to my Home Hub. When you have identified which device is the Humax, make a note of its MAC Address - the MAC address is a unique number hard wired into any device which connects to a router. You can then always check the Humax is attached.

5 For testing purposes, move the Humax close to the router to guarantee a good signal strength as, obviously, the Home Hub must be receiving a sufficiently strong signal from the Humax to "see" it and to give it an IP address.

6 I think, but I may be wrong that if the signal strength is poor, the Humax might connect to the router, but not get through to the Internet.

7 I use a WiFI Extender to guarantere a good WiFi signal to my Humax. The Humax has connected faultlessly every time since I purchased it and I can access BBC iPlayer and netflix etc.

| Tue 26 Jul 2016 10:29:02 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I forgot the image.

Attachments

1. connected_devices.png (43.1 KB, 12 downloads) 7 years old
    | Tue 26 Jul 2016 10:38:55 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I have just done some testing and I am beginning to wonder if the problem is the BT Home Hub.

I decided to name all my devices so that I could logon to the BT Home Hub and know which connected device was which. As I was doing so, my phone, which had previously worked perfectly, suddenly gave the "Not connected to Internet" error message, and when I tried to browse, it failed.

A few minutes later, it suddenly worked OK without my knowing that I had changed anything apart from turning off the phone WiFi, turning it back on, and allowing it to connect. THis time all was OK.

I wonder if the BT Home Hub has some sort of "reset timeout" where a device connecting does not get connected through to the internet if it just happens to connect while the "reset timeout" is happening? If so, disconnecting the Humax, and allowing it to re-connect, may fix the problem.

| Tue 26 Jul 2016 13:03:44 #9 |
  10. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Stocky - 16 hours ago  » 

JohnH77 - 2 hours ago  » 

I think the BT Home Hub itself is 192.168.1.1 but it does not really matter.
    The DHCP Server inside the BT Home Hub offers IP addresses of the form 192.168.1.x and, once the Home Hub sees the Humax asking to connect, the Humax should automatically be given an address 192.168.1."something".

The 192.168.1.254 is standard for BT Hubs (other routers typically use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) and normally the DNS should be the same IP unless you have other equipment supplying the DNS at the .250 address.

| Tue 26 Jul 2016 13:15:55 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.