My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Unit seems to lock up

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ralph

I have a foxsat-hdr.Probably about six years old.Over the past few months,the screen goes blank,and unable to change channels with the remote,sort of lock up.The only way to get picture back,is to turn off the unit power,and switch it back on.This can happen up to three times in a day.Also at times when I’ve set up to record,the recording failed,and the box is locked up,I have to turn of the unit,switch back on to get the box working again….I changed LNB thinking that was at fault….Any clues/suggestions please…?..

| Tue 9 Aug 2016 22:29:39 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi Ralph

Welcome to our forum.

Have you done a reset to factory defaults ? Before you do you need to make a note/photograph the recording schedule as you will need to rebuild the recording schedule. At that sort of age the box may well need a replacement hard disk. A hard disk format may well help but you will lose all your existing recordings other than ones you have copied to a usb drive. The custom firmware available for this box has very useful disk checking and repair capabilities that may resolve the problem without a format.

On a disk that age it's entirely possible that the area of the hard disk used for the time shift buffer is worn out. The custom firmware gives the capability to directly access the hard disk and re-locate this file to a different area.

The fact that you could change the lnb indicates that this may well have enough knowhow be able to use this to fix the issue.

| Tue 9 Aug 2016 22:49:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ralph

Thank you for the quick reply.The first thing I did was to do a factory reset.But would wear on the hard disk interfere with normal viewing..?..

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 10:43:36 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ralph - 1 minute ago  » 
    But would wear on the hard disk interfere with normal viewing..?..

It could do because the box is continually recording the live stream to give the ability to pause or rewind.

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 10:45:46 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ralph - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you for the quick reply.The first thing I did was to do a factory reset.But would wear on the hard disk interfere with normal viewing..?..

It's a known issue, the box can lock up if the area of the hard disk that is continously written to create the time shift buffer has faulty sectors that cause failure of the data writing process. Given access to the hard disk it's easy to fix. The hard disk could be removed and connected to a PC booted to Linux or equipped with a utility to read and write to Linux EXT3 volumes (EXT2FS). You could back up your recordings the same way if you plan to install a new hard disk.

You could try disconnecting the hard drive and running the box as a non recording set top box. If it then runs reliably it's a very good indication the issue is down to the hard disk.

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 10:55:23 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ralph

Thanks for that information.I will get my son to check it out on his next visit here.I served my time in the Royal Signals,but that was in the early 60s,so receivers and transmitters are way ahead of my knowledge now.Will let you know how it turns out.Thanks again.

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 11:01:42 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Installing the custom firmware is the way I would recommend.
    It makes no changes to the Humax software but adds extra tasks at the Linux level.
    This would allow renaming the buffer file (assuming either the ftp or telnet servers are added. The Humax app will recreate the buffer file automatically.

As Graham mentioned above the Custom firmware includes a diskcheck facility (using a standard Linux utility).

| Wed 10 Aug 2016 15:49:57 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.