My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Update for Humax HB1000S - Jan. 2014

(23 posts)
  1. IAINB

IAINB

Like others I have been disappointed by this first update. A bug-free receiver now has them. Some of the changes are due to Freesat requirements, with which Humax must comply.

The update ran faultlessly on the day promised by Barry. There is no choice, however, for you cannot access the original software to return to it. This means we are "stuck with" any introduced faults until Humax corrects them and/or Freesat changes its rules. And that will not happen tomorrow. A reset will not help because this simply finds the latest software edition.

One change that seems universally unpopular is the black band along the screen base when certain controls are operated. A change to HD by "OK" is another, which gives no allowance for the HB's upscaling. There is no "do not show again" choice. I have also suffered from unstable (BBC) teletext, mainly at switch-on, where the black band crashes in. Then the text is inoperable and one can have a corner picture, + some text + some EPG - all together. Certain changes to recording, including the black band, make this a wearisome process compared with earlier. The black band is slow to dissolve, causing loss of picture quality until it does so.

The HB used to be lightning fast at finding the teletext main menu. This has now changed. On two occasions it did not find this at all so I had to use the Freeview facilty!

The update was well managed, and available exactly as promised. I just hope the bugs can be as well dealt with.

| Fri 10 Jan 2014 18:27:27 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

HB1000S

The flickering reminder banner is annoying and experienced no sound when resuming from live pause with my 1tb wd drive.

| Sat 11 Jan 2014 0:40:00 #2 |
  3. IAINB

IAINB

Dear Readers, I am surprised no one is interested in this topic! As well as the bugs already mentioned, I have now experienced major difficulties when going straight from stand by to try to play an existing recording. This business of bugs in several areas seems to have the common factor of being linked to start up and/or changes to start up. My latest experience is to go to recordings - choose one - watch me - press and then I either have a message of HDD not found or the controls (fast forward/back etc.) all inoperative. I have to try various exit-text-home-back combinations and can perhaps thus enable the playback I want.

Humax has of course made no response, though arguably their update is the reason for my difficulties. I am, however, very put out to have no support from fellow sufferers (there must be several) and no comment from Graham and Barry. If I really am a lone voice, it could be that there was a faulty batch of HB's, but I think it unlikely.In case Barry or someone else wants to check on this, my HB's Serial No. is 61 6006473 00173. Regards all.

| Wed 22 Jan 2014 14:35:53 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

No problems on my HB-1000S since the update.
    I suggest you do a reset to factory default (after taking a photo of your schedule).

The auto update of new releases is a freesat feature (as it is with Sky)

| Wed 22 Jan 2014 15:59:47 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I don't have a HB1000S, so can't really comment. In regard to the flashing book me prompt, I don't like this either. The problem in this case appears to be a graded dark background to the prompt, no doubt to improve visibility. It covers up a large and extremely bright BBC ONE in the background. Can see the sense in this, but not why there is a need to flash it on and off, which creates a very unpleasant strobing effect as the BBC ONE label appears. I would have thought this is under the control of the BBC.

| Wed 22 Jan 2014 16:36:36 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

IAINB, FYI, I haven't experienced any bugs since the update, though like others I dislike some aspects of the changes.

| Wed 22 Jan 2014 17:02:09 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

No issues with my HB 1000S either.

| Wed 22 Jan 2014 17:52:59 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

JamesB - 2 days ago  » 
    IAINB, FYI, I haven't experienced any bugs since the update, though like others I dislike some aspects of the changes.

I may have spoken too soon. Today I tried to pause a live programme (something I hardly ever do), and found that it doesn't work.

Since I hadn't tried this before the update, I don't know whether that's the cause. But I see there's a thread about this in the HDR1000S sub-forum, and in that thread, the update is fingered as the culprit. (Edit. I thought it was attributed to the update but I was mistaken - corrupt buffer suggested as cause.)

| Fri 24 Jan 2014 18:40:05 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

catinaz

Dear Readers, I am surprised no one is interested in this topic!
    Ok Iainb, here are my thoughts: I think OS is buggy all over the place, and it will take some time to iron it out (possibly by the end of decade, given that three different parties are involved in overall product). You've mentioned teletext (which is red button, since I get same home screen whether I pres "Text" or "Red button), I never used it before, but tryed today - no problems. But I think it's similar to "black screen" problem when going back to live tv from watching recordings - sometimes it happens, sometimes not. I had it once. Coming back to text-red button; I had noticed there bbc iplayer (channel 7001), but was unable to play anything - getting message "This content does not seem to be working." (although it's fine via "on demand" menu). And once the whole interface froze while "loading" some video. Would not respond to any remote button nor power button on the box. Had to unplug power cable to get it back. So, might be there is some bug in text. By the way, while playing with text the so unpopular reminder to set record reminder started blinking at the bottom of the screen, which disabled all directional buttons on remote (i.e. could not navigate text). Had to wait till it stopped blinking, - unpractical, frustrating. Now there is that "Press OK to watch in HD", and, in connection, every time I get to iplayer, i have to enable HD. Now, HB1000s has only hdmi video output so, logically, it's connected to hdmi capable device, so why not to have everything HD on default, if that content is available in HD?
    Guess - "work in progress"
    P.S. About recordings; Have WD My Book NAS. After watching recording press "Back" to go back to folder getting message "No Items". Have to go back to My Media -> Media Share -> and so on... to find videos again. No such problem with Music or Photos. As well able to go forward - backward.

| Sat 25 Jan 2014 4:08:24 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

catinaz

Another glitch I have noticed, occasionaly accessibility features (audio description or subtitles) switches on on them selfs after stand-by.

| Sat 25 Jan 2014 11:40:12 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.