My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

New s/w: Play recorded prog stops when new recording

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

When playing an existing recorded programme playback stops when a new scheduled recording begins.

I was upgraded to the new 4000T software and I think this is a new symptom.

I was playing a recorded programme when it was time for a new recording to begin. A pop-up came on screen saying a new recording was about to start and did I want to change channel (or something similar). I said I wanted the new recording to begin.

It did ... and stopped the recorded programme I was watching!

I checked and there were only two recordings being made - one which had started earlier and the one just starting. I was able to restart watching the recorded programme.

So why did the box not let me watch the recording I was watching?

| Thu 23 Jul 2020 21:09:02 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Was the recording an older complete one ? Or did you you record it after it had started by pressing instant record. This produces a new recording from the contents of the time shift buffer. The recording is complete up to the time you pressed instant record and will continue to the end of the programme. If you were then watching this programme in chasing playback. The tuner is tied up until the recording is complete.

If the recording was an older complete one, then it's a bug. Viewing a complete existing recording does not need a tuner. The recording is a complete digital copy of the original. All the box does is send the digital stream to the decoder to produce an exact copy of the original that the tuner that recorded it copied to the hard disk.

| Fri 24 Jul 2020 9:46:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Are you absolutely sure that you hadn't set up a reminder on another channel? What you are describing is what happens in this instance.

| Fri 24 Jul 2020 9:51:27 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Graham

The recording I was watching was a normal, complete, scheduled recording and I'm with you that it is a bug in the new release.

SSThing
    I have never set a reminder so I doubt that unless the new release set one for me.

I'll see if I can replicate it.

a

| Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:13:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I tried to replicate it earlier but couldn't.

| Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:26:07 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnH77 - 37 mins ago  » 
    Graham
    The recording I was watching was a normal, complete, scheduled recording and I'm with you that it is a bug in the new release.
    SSThing
    I have never set a reminder so I doubt that unless the new release set one for me.
    I'll see if I can replicate it.
    a

Can you post which channels the two recordings were set on and the start and end scheduled times for both ? Can you also confirm that start and end recording times are set to auto, or If you have padding can you post start and end padding settings ?

Can you also post which transmitter you receive from ?

| Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:53:52 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

It occurred on Thursday at about 21:00.

Playback was a C4 recording a few months old.

The recording already being recorded was ITV 20:59 to 22:01 (times got from the recorded programme). I did not get a warning message about it starting.

The message I got was for a new recording on 5USA which was recorded from 21:00 to 21:59 so I presumably got the message just before 21:00.

Another anomaly I see is when bringing the box out of standby when there is a very brief flash of a channel and it then switches to a different channel, namely the one I was last watching. I do have it set to come on to BBC1 at 8am each day for 15 minutes to populate the EPG so it may be BBC1 which flashes. Previously, when coming out of standby it always came on with BBC1.

| Fri 24 Jul 2020 12:55:05 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

I use Auto with no padding and I am on Mendip main transmitter.

I have set up a similar situation. ITV is now set to record from 13:30. 5USA is now set to record from 13:31. I am playing back a C4 playback.

So, if ITV starts on time it should be very similar.

I'll report back at 13:45 ish.

| Fri 24 Jul 2020 12:56:51 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Should have been no problem. ITV recording PSB2 on UHF 34. 5 USA on COM 4 UHF 48

Do you have channels with lcns in the 800s. If so you may have generated more than one recording of the same programme thus using two tuners.

Tip The tuners can record two at once from the same transponder.

If you use the PSB HD mux. You can record 4 out of the 5 HD channels at the same time. You can also record the 5th if you set a reminder. The reminder switches to that channel when the programme starts and starts buffering it to the time shift buffer. If you wait a few minutes and then press instant record it will record the 5th.

I think playing back a recording is a red herring. You got a clash for some reason from the two recordings.

| Fri 24 Jul 2020 13:12:31 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

All was fine. I did not get a message saying ITV was starting but I did get a message 5USA was starting.

| Fri 24 Jul 2020 13:34:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.