My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

USB instructions for HDR-1100S

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

spineytoo

No information about using the 2 USB sockets is included in the instructions and I cannot find anything within the menus. Anyone know where to find instructions. How can I copy programmes to a USB stick?
    I inadvertently left a USB stick in the socket when we went away, though I had not been able to find a way to use it. On our return last night I got a message saying the HDD was not correctly formatted. Though I did not agree to formatting, it evidently has happened. All our previous recordings have gone. It did record 3 programmes last night on the internal HDD even though the USB stick was still in. I expect the recorded data still exists on the HDD. No chance to recover it though, without removing the HDD and losing the warranty.

| Sun 4 Oct 2015 18:00:50 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You cannot copy (archive) any recordings made by the box, on a freetime box to usb. You can only import your own digital files (which go to a totally seperate unencrypted partition), or replay suitable content from USB directly (or via the built in DLNA client). Only content you uploaded in the first place can be exported to usb, The recording partition is itself LUKS encrypted on a Freetime box.

Try powering off the box (pull out the dc input) for about 15 mins, hopefully you will regain access to the existing recordings.

| Sun 4 Oct 2015 18:47:23 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

spineytoo

Thank you Graham. I have already disconnected the supply for perhaps 50 seconds. It made no difference. Since it shows the 3 recording made last night, I suspect that does mean that the HDD index has been overwritten.
    On my old Humax one could export recordings if they were in SD, but not in HD. That has changed then with the new model?
    There is obviously a bug in the software if leaving an un-formatted USB stick in the connector can wreck the HDD recordings. The box was left unattended for 15 days/

| Sun 4 Oct 2015 19:11:22 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

50 seconds is way too short. Try the suggested 15 minutes. There is more than enough stored energy in the box PSU if the box is in full sby to survive that amount of time. You can tell if the stored energy is exhausted if the box awakes to start the clock after the loss of power and then shuts down. If it boots immediately you haven't left it long enough.

The same applies to firmware updates by usb, if when you insert a usb stick it is accessed it has not attained full sby.

| Sun 4 Oct 2015 20:23:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

spineytoo

Thanks again Graham,
    I will try your 15 minute suggestion. But .......... Since the box has recorded 3 new programmes, it must have overwritten part of the HDD index; that surely implies that the index is corrupted. I hope to be proved wrong.
    Norman

| Sun 4 Oct 2015 22:28:51 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

spineytoo

I disconnected the supply for 20 minutes. On reconnecting the screen showed FreeTime and then shut down. I used the power on button to make it reboot. Nothing has changed; only 3 programmes from last night and one from tonight have been recorded. As I suspected, the HDD must be corrupted. The USB key, which had been left in, was blank apart from a couple of files from a PC. It had nothing to do with firmware updates and it had not been formatted because that was not offered by the Humax. As I said, there is a bug in the software - or I have a duff 1100S. Why does the menu not mention USB anywhere, I wonder. Perhaps I need a firmware update?

| Sun 4 Oct 2015 22:59:52 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I seem to remember that if the format message is not declined within a short time it will be formatted. Why it thought it was unformatted is another matter.

When you insert a USB mass storage device a context menu appears on screen and I think you can see it under storage in settings.

| Mon 5 Oct 2015 9:21:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

spineytoo

Thanks Repassac. I have nothing to lose so I shall try attaching a USB stick again and look for it in settings/storage.

| Mon 5 Oct 2015 11:12:02 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I think you can also see the USB contents via the Home > Humax > Videos route. There is a way to select the device (HDD or USB).

The settings info only shows the free and used space.
    The popup menu is the fast way to play what is on the stick.
    Not much point in connecting a blank stick - the only purpose would be exporting previously imported content.

| Mon 5 Oct 2015 11:27:39 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

spineytoo

Thanks. I will look at your suggestion tonight.

| Mon 5 Oct 2015 11:30:34 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.