My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

USB instructions for HDR-1100S

(23 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

joeboy75 - 8 mins ago  » 
    i have an old single tuner 1000s and there are 2 USB ports , and i intend to use one for recording TV programmes and the other for a portable hard drive with pre-loaded films on , does it matter which USB port i use as don't want to record onto my pre-recorded film drive

The hdd you use to record to is formatted with a propriety file system. It cannot be used with anything else without it being reformatted using a standard file system that the OS on the device can use.

I would use the rear port as the recording drive because there is no need to disconnect it. Presumably you want to copy files to it from another device.

However the built in media player isn't very good in playing back files recorded in anything but 50 Hz refresh.

24fps content (common on movies) can be very jerky due to the drop frame processing used to output at 60Hz.

A much superior solution is to set up a plex server on the device with the movie files.

Connect a 4K firestick to your display. Add a plex client and it will match the exact frameates contained in the recordings.

https://www.aftvnews.com/explanation-of-the-new-frame-rate-matching-feature-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

Plex is free for both devices,

| Thu 27 Aug 2020 14:21:05 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

joeboy75

i have had no trouble using my portable hard drive on my Humax twin tuner freesat , i just plug in & play , and i only need to use 1 USB port , its only on my single tuner device that i need to use 2 USB ports that's why i asked if there is a preference for USB port use

| Fri 28 Aug 2020 10:11:21 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

joeboy75 - 29 mins ago  » 
    i have had no trouble using my portable hard drive on my Humax twin tuner freesat , i just plug in & play , and i only need to use 1 USB port , its only on my single tuner device that i need to use 2 USB ports that's why i asked if there is a preference for USB port use

You asked about a single tuner device. These have the prefix HBxxxxS. These are the only models that can record to USB drive. The twin tuner models cannot record to usb.

Apart from convenience as you cannot use the drive setup for recording on anything else you might as well use the rear port.

As the cpu chip in Humax boxes is designed to only cope with UK 25/50 fps sources it cannot properly play back anything else recorded at other framerates. The effect is easily seen on shots with fast pans and scrolling subtitles. You can clearly see the jump where a frame is dropped.

You get the same effect when playing blu-ray disks on a TV that does not support 1080p24 at the correct framerate.

Some are more susceptible to noticing this (including me). If you are happy that's fine it's still a fact that these motion artefacts are created due to lack of framerate matching using a Humax box (and many others) as a usb media playback device.

USB media players that work properly are pretty expensive. That's why I mentioned the 4K firestick (which you can buy when on offer for as little as £25:00- And the free Plex client and server solution.

| Fri 28 Aug 2020 10:52:53 #23 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.