My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Use auto resolution or set it manually?

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Does the auto resolution work? Or should you switch it manually to 1080p/50hz if watching freeview channels and then switch manually to 4K if watching 4K content?

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 19:22:06 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

boogersa - 1 min ago  » 
    Does the auto resolution work? Or should you switch it manually to 1080p/50hz if watching freeview channels and then switch manually to 4K if watching 4K content?

Done some testing on this. Both have issues. Ideally you should let the device with the best scaling do the scaling. You should also avoid double scaling.

It's a lot simpler if all you have is a 4K TV, it gets more complex if you have a 4K capable AVR that itself can scale to 4K.

Assuming that's what you have. Some apps like Youtube and Disney+ have native 4K content in HDR. Ideally the box needs a native resolution setting that simply passes on the audio and video to a a TV. It currently lacks this option.

If you use one of these with the box say set to output 1080P50 if using a 2160p 4K source the box downscales the 2160p source to 1080p50. Because the display on your TV has to have a 4K 2160p signal so every physical pixel is addressed The TV rescales the downscaled 1080p back to 2160p. So in this case for the best picture you would have to choose a resolution that matches the 4K source.

For Full HD you would need to find out if your TV or the box is best at scaling from 1080p to 2160p.

It all depends on how good your TV is.

If you have say a LG OLED rather than QLED I would say let the TV do it.

Auto scales everything to what the reports during the handshake to 2160P.

If you are watching a low res low bitrate channel it looks dire.

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 19:39:13 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

grahamlthompson - 25 mins ago  » 

boogersa - 1 min ago  » 

Done some testing on this. Both have issues. Ideally you should let the device with the best scaling do the scaling. You should also avoid double scaling.
    It's a lot simpler if all you have is a 4K TV, it gets more complex if you have a 4K capable AVR that itself can scale to 4K.
    Assuming that's what you have. Some apps like Youtube and Disney+ have native 4K content in HDR. Ideally the box needs a native resolution setting that simply passes on the audio and video to a a TV. It currently lacks this option.
    If you use one of these with the box say set to output 1080P50 if using a 2160p 4K source the box downscales the 2160p source to 1080p50. Because the display on your TV has to have a 4K 2160p signal so every physical pixel is addressed The TV rescales the downscaled 1080p back to 2160p. So in this case for the best picture you would have to choose a resolution that matches the 4K source.
    For Full HD you would need to find out if your TV or the box is best at scaling from 1080p to 2160p.

I understood some of the above! But does the auto resolution work!? I read somewhere that it didn’t. If it does then if I watch an hd freeview channel it will automatically change it to send it from the aura at 1080p/50z? Assuming that’s what a freeview hd picture is?

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 20:07:33 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

boogersa - 53 secs ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 25 mins ago  » 

boogersa - 1 min ago  » 

I understood some of the above! But does the auto resolution work!? I read somewhere that it didn’t. If it does then if I watch an hd freeview channel it will automatically change it to send it from the aura at 1080p/50z? Assuming that’s what a freeview hd picture is?

Freeview-HD can be either 1080i50 or 1080p25. It was designed to seamlessly switch within the same programme depending on the source. Technically it can handle mixed Gops (Group OF Pictures).

But yes auto does work. It converts everything to what the best resolution that TV says it has. But that often is not the best approach. See poor quality SD example above.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/1080p-or-1080i-1

| Thu 26 Nov 2020 20:12:42 #4 |
  5. The Moog

The Moog

Thanks for the information Graham, that's all really useful.

I just wanted to agree that ideally I would want a 'native' option where the Aura just passes on whatever the signal format is to my AVR. I can then decide what the downstream scaling options should be, my TV is 4K but my projector is 1080P and the AVR is set to determine the best scaling for both.

| Fri 27 Nov 2020 14:25:12 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

MickO

Although i've looked, how do i set the box to output 1080?
    It looks like the auto resolution doesn't talk very well with my LG SR906 AVR and all I get is a blank TV and the LG displaying flashing a 3.2.1 caption. The LG will only handle 1080 and I think the HDMI handshaking is not working correctly and I want to force 1080.

| Sat 28 Nov 2020 17:37:26 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Settings
    Channel & Broadcast
    Scroll down for Resolution

| Sat 28 Nov 2020 18:01:00 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

MickO

Thanks. Wouldn't have expected there. Was looking in Device Preferences and elsewhere. I blame it on too many late nights trying to solve a few box problems.
    Cheers,

| Wed 2 Dec 2020 13:29:55 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

minnesotafats

Resolution shows only Auto option, how do I get it to show other options?
    Vince.

| Mon 14 Dec 2020 15:35:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

minnesotafats

My screen locks to 480!
    Vince

| Mon 14 Dec 2020 15:47:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.