My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Using a 1100S in two locations

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

tash

I have a Foxsat-HDR recorder at home but regularly spend a week every month away at a location which also has Freesat. I am planning to buy a HDR-1100S for this remote location, in an attempt to have access to some recording and playback while I’m away from home.

However, instead of having to manage two machines, could I just use the new 1100S at home and take it with me when I travel, plugging it into Freesat at the other location. Would this continue to record previously scheduled programs and would I have access to all previously recorded material?

This would appear to be the simplest solution but I’m sure there must be a catch. Has anyone one done something similar?

Many thanks.

| Wed 28 Jun 2017 15:19:05 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

There should be no problems with this at all assuming good signal quality at both locations.

| Wed 28 Jun 2017 16:48:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

tash - 5 hours ago  » Would this continue to record previously scheduled programs ... ?

Would both locations have the same number of LNBs available?

| Wed 28 Jun 2017 20:35:34 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Luke - 20 minutes ago  » 

tash - 5 hours ago  » Would this continue to record previously scheduled programs ... ?

Presume you mean at least two cables from the same lnb ?

Very few have more than 1 lnb mounted on the same dish.

As the OP already has Freesat. Chances are it uses at least a lnb with 2 or 4 outputs with two used.

https://onetransistor.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/make-multifeed-lnb-holder-for-dish.html

It's physically impossible to mount two lnb's on the same dish both pointing at 28.2E.

The offset to mount them means the focus point has to be shifted East or West depending on which side they are mounted. Also the elevation has to be adjusted to maintain focus on the geosynchronous arc visible from the UK.

All the stationary satelites that appear stationary from the UK have to be approx 2200 mls above the equator and orbit the Earth to exactly match the Earths rotation in time and direction.

28.2E actually means 0 degrees (North or South, take your pick

The satellite group is in fact 0 degrees Latitude (directly above the equator) at 28,2E of the Greenwich meridian.

Those of a curious nature with Google Earth can type in these co-ordinates and locate the exact point on the Earth surface where a dish to get the signals would point vertically upwards

Don't expect to get anything by the way from here, the RF beam is focussed in a specific direction and shape.

If anyone is interested in this a separate technical thread might be appropriate.

A satellite at 0 deg will be at the highest point visible, the further East or West from 0 deg the satellite elevation will be lower.

To get 19.2 E the lnb focus has to be higher so on the same dish the lnb for 19.2E has to be on a bracket that lowers the elevation as well as providing the correct azimuth (direction) correction (mirror image).

A dish is in fact a parabolic mirror for microwave radiation just like a optical reflecting telescope focuses light on a eyepiece

Adding more means that the extra ones are used to access other orbital points, typically in the UK 28.2E and 19.2E are pretty popular. No doubt due to RTE's Free To Air Grand Prix coverage following Sky's hijack of the coverage.

| Wed 28 Jun 2017 21:01:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 36 minutes ago  » 

Luke - 20 minutes ago  » 

Presume you mean at least two cables from the same lnb ?
    Very few have more than 1 lnb mounted on the same dish.
    As the OP already has Freesat. Chances are it uses at least a lnb with 2 or 4 outputs with two used.

Yes I mean LNB cables.

| Wed 28 Jun 2017 21:42:15 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

tash

Thanks REPASSAC, I'm pleased to hear that the theory of moving an 1100S between two locations is OK. Unfortunately I think the other posts might have identified a problem. Whilst I have two cables from the Satellite dish at home, the other the location is a flat and as far as I know I only get a single Freesat feed.

I will need to investigate this on my next visit.

If only one feed is connected to the 1100S will it complain or will it just miss recordings scheduled for that channel?

| Thu 29 Jun 2017 18:09:07 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tash - 4 hours ago  » 
    Thanks REPASSAC, I'm pleased to hear that the theory of moving an 1100S between two locations is OK. Unfortunately I think the other posts might have identified a problem. Whilst I have two cables from the Satellite dish at home, the other the location is a flat and as far as I know I only get a single Freesat feed.
    I will need to investigate this on my next visit.
    If only one feed connected to the 1100S will it complain or will it just miss recordings scheduled for that channel?

It will attempt to make the two recordings at the same time, unless both happen to be from the same transponder it will generate a on-screen message about 15 mins before which if you don't respond will create a failed recording for the second recording due within the period of the first recording.

If you want control just before you go away make a note of your recording schedule (Take a digital photo of the recording schedule). Power off the box and disconnect the 2nd feed.

Carry out a factory reset to reset the box into single cable mode and attempt to re-build the recording schedule, you may be able to record some of the missing content by recording from a different region.

For more info see

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

| Thu 29 Jun 2017 22:59:43 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

tash

Many thanks Graham. You've opened up a whole new world to me!
    The complications of switching from single to double feeds and the liklehood of missing at least some recordings doesn't, for me, seem to be worth the effort. I will try and secure double feeds at both ends.
    I assume that then still leaves the complication of regional differences. Would this be resolved by setting the Humax and both TVs to the same post code? I hope that isn't a dumb question, but I'm quite happy to stay with my 'home' region when away from home.

| Fri 30 Jun 2017 8:18:21 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

tash - 4 hours ago  » 
    Many thanks Graham. You've opened up a whole new world to me!
    The complications of switching from single to double feeds and the liklehood of missing at least some recordings doesn't, for me, seem to be worth the effort. I will try and secure double feeds at both ends.
    I assume that then still leaves the complication of regional differences. Would this be resolved by setting the Humax and both TVs to the same post code? I hope that isn't a dumb question, but I'm quite happy to stay with my 'home' region when away from home.

The Humax will retain it's postcode wherever you connect it. You would have to do a freesat retune to change that. There is no way the box knows where it is. The postcode you enter merely filters the channels you see on the epg and allocates your regional channels to the lower channel numbers. Note all the BBC regions HD and SD are in the epg anyway at 950 upwards.

| Fri 30 Jun 2017 13:13:38 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.