My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Using loop through

(19 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

REPASSAC - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I think nearly everone makes their own as you will not find any sufficiently short.

Agree

However if wm77 is not happy making own and are is bothered with having a long cable then:

Homebase currently have this offer:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/homebase---satellite-f-connector-lead---2m-716453

Argos similar if not same cable:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3589607.htm

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 10:56:18 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Very simple to fit a pair of f connectors to a short length of coax.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm

Note you can ignore the grease for an indoor connection, ordinary coax should be fine for such a short connection.

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 10:59:29 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

wm77

Thanks guys for the responses.

| Wed 20 Jul 2016 11:54:52 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

wm77

Got the cable from Homebase last night for a fiver. Did a factory reset and I have to say, it's very impressive what you can record with only one cable! Basically I've had the foxsat for a year and was getting a bit bored with the limited channels. Sky were doing a deal for €20/month basic package so I went for that.

The only thing with sky in Ireland is that you don't get BBC 4 HD or Channel 4 HD on the EPG so I'm going to leave the foxsat where it is and use both boxes. I had three lnb feeds from the dish so I have only one lnb feed left for the Foxsat. I can record potentially 4 channels and maybe watch one other with both boxes in use. Whether there's four worth recording could be debatable!

| Thu 21 Jul 2016 9:24:18 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wm77 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Got the cable from Homebase last night for a fiver. Did a factory reset and I have to say, it's very impressive what you can record with only one cable! Basically I've had the foxsat for a year and was getting a bit bored with the limited channels. Sky were doing a deal for €20/month basic package so I went for that.
    The only thing with sky in Ireland is that you don't get BBC 4 HD or Channel 4 HD on the EPG so I'm going to leave the foxsat where it is and use both boxes. I had three lnb feeds from the dish so I have only one lnb feed left for the Foxsat. I can record potentially 4 channels and maybe watch one other with both boxes in use. Whether there's four worth recording could be debatable!

In case you haven't spotted this.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

There is an alternative arrangement.

Use both cables on the Foxsat and use the tuner 1 out to give an extra feed.

This gives full function when Foxsat is in low power sby. When on or recording only channels in same band and polarisation available (same as tuner 2 when in single cable mode). I feed one of the satellite tuners in my TV this way.

| Thu 21 Jul 2016 12:16:58 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 33 seconds ago  » 

wm77 - 2 hours ago  » 

This gives full function when Foxsat is in low power sby. When on or recording only channels in same band and polarisation available (same as tuner 2 when in single cable mode). I feed one of the satellite tuners in my TV this way.

Your lnb should have a spare output, cable it up to get 4 feeds. Note you can generally get twin WF65 cable through a hole drilled for single 100 grade cable.

Look at the Custom Firmware add on available for the Foxsat at AV Forums it transforms the Foxsat HDR capabilities.

| Thu 21 Jul 2016 12:19:18 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

wm77

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

wm77 - 2 hours ago  » 

Sorry Graham. I don't really follow you there. Are you assuming use of another lnb feed? In which case how does that work? Thanks.

| Thu 21 Jul 2016 14:15:28 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wm77 - 2 hours ago  » 

wm77 - 2 hours ago  » 

Sorry Graham. I don't really follow you there. Are you assuming use of another lnb feed? In which case how does that work? Thanks.

The alternative is to connect two of your 3 cables to the Foxsat Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 in and go back to dual cable mode. You would then connect the Foxsat Tuner 1 out to the Sky box tuner 2 in.

With the Foxsat in sby the Sky box would work 100% normally. With the Foxsat on or recording tuner 1 on the Sky box would work normally, tuner 2 recording would be restricted. Briefly satellite channels use two frequency bands high/low and two polarisations Vertical/Horizontal, giving four possible combinations. In single cable mode the Foxsat tuner 1 feeds all channels matching the band and polarisation that it is using to tuner 2 via the link coax. The tuner 1 output socket does not depend on the box mode it works all the time. On Freesat there are very few channels using the high frequency band. The link I provided has details of which channels would be available to download and how to use the manual version. Basically the Sky box 2nd tuner would be able to record as the second tuner does now on the Foxsat working in single cable mode. Which is best really depends how often you dual record on the Sky box and how often both boxes would be recording/used at the same time. Adding the extra cable from the lnb would remove all restrictions.

| Thu 21 Jul 2016 16:39:18 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

wm77

grahamlthompson - 17 hours ago  » 

wm77 - 2 hours ago  » 

wm77 - 2 hours ago  » 

The alternative is to connect two of your 3 cables to the Foxsat Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 in and go back to dual cable mode. You would then connect the Foxsat Tuner 1 out to the Sky box tuner 2 in.
    With the Foxsat in sby the Sky box would work 100% normally. With the Foxsat on or recording tuner 1 on the Sky box would work normally, tuner 2 recording would be restricted. Briefly satellite channels use two frequency bands high/low and two polarisations Vertical/Horizontal, giving four possible combinations. In single cable mode the Foxsat tuner 1 feeds all channels matching the band and polarisation that it is using to tuner 2 via the link coax. The tuner 1 output socket does not depend on the box mode it works all the time. On Freesat there are very few channels using the high frequency band. The link I provided has details of which channels would be available to download and how to use the manual version. Basically the Sky box 2nd tuner would be able to record as the second tuner does now on the Foxsat working in single cable mode. Which is best really depends how often you dual record on the Sky box and how often both boxes would be recording/used at the same time. Adding the extra cable from the lnb would remove all restrictions.

Thanks Graham. I'd probably prefer having the double feed on the sky box as there's more channels there and then have the Foxsat as an alternative and for use with ITV HD, C4 HD, BBC 4 HD & C5HD, none of which are on the Irish Sky EPG. I think with the loop through on the foxsat it gives me plenty of options. Great little function.

| Fri 22 Jul 2016 10:06:49 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.