My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

VERY slow startup and slow performance

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

carled

Bought my HDR-1000S refurbished in November. As I was coming from an extremely slow talktalk youview box, at first the Humax seemed ok. Whether it has got even slower or I've become less tolerant, I don't know but I just timed startup. 39 seconds from power on to programme and guide first appearing. Surely this can't be right?

My settings for standby mode are "normal". I just can't understand why it takes the box so long to start up? My 10 year old Sky+ box upstairs takes 3 seconds from standby to showing pictures, which is the kind of responsiveness I'd have thought much newer technology should be able to manage.

Is this startup time normal? The software says it updated itself on Jan 22nd so I think it's quite up to date.

I also find the whole interface laggy and unresponsive and it's very frustrating to use. I had the same problem with my youview box which was painfully slow. This isn't much better though!

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 10:31:15 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Yep that sounds like normal behaviour to me.
    The thing is for the most part being software based they may be able to improve on such things, but as freesat are in charge of the UI it's down to them whether or not this area gets looked into or not.
    As for your Sky+ box 3 second startup, well as far as I'm aware it didn't actually go into a full standby and was still pretty much active all the time.

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 10:39:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

carled

Wow... so all you guys with HDR-1000S units are putting up with the same slow start-up? Maybe I'm just intolerant! How on earth do Sky get their antique equipment so fast then?

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 10:42:36 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to the Forum

Your sky box was costing you money even in standby

Have a read of the first para in this post:

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/humax-2000t-slow-to-respond-on-power-up?view=all#post-24438

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 10:46:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

carled

Fair enough. I realised it would be a power issue but didn't realise it was quite such a power issue! If it had been a few quid, then it's not worth the saving really, but if it's that much AND there are regulations now, then it's understandable, if still annoying!

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 10:51:48 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

truckerbob

Barry - 3 hours ago  » 
    Welcome to the Forum
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/humax-2000t-slow-to-respond-on-power-up?view=all#post-24438

Agreed the older Sky boxes used more electricity, but is it right that the EU law-makers should decide that I cant pay that extra for the power usage and get an instant bootup of my HDR if I want it. I leave my modem/router powered up all the time, as advised by my IP....

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 14:10:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

truckerbob - 1 hour ago  » 

Barry - 3 hours ago  » 
    Welcome to the Forum

Agreed the older Sky boxes used more electricity, but is it right that the EU law-makers should decide that I cant pay that extra for the power usage and get an instant bootup of my HDR if I want it. I leave my modem/router powered up all the time, as advised by my IP....

As long as a low-power option is provided by the manufacturer, no one's forcing you to use it. The Humax YouView boxes have two stand-by modes - one to satisfy the EU requirement, and one that's barely distinguishable from full power.

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 15:42:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

truckerbob

JamesB - 4 hours ago  » 

Barry - 3 hours ago  » 
    Welcome to the Forum

As long as a low-power option is provided by the manufacturer, no one's forcing you to use it. The Humax YouView boxes have two stand-by modes - one to satisfy the EU requirement, and one that's barely distinguishable from full power.

The EU lawmakers are forcing me to use the low power option. The HDR1000S doesn't have that option of the two modes of either off/standby or on.

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 19:53:08 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

truckerbob - 41 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 4 hours ago  » 

Barry - 3 hours ago  » 
    Welcome to the Forum

The EU lawmakers are forcing me to use the low power option. The HDR1000S doesn't have that option of the two modes of either off/standby or on.

That's not the EU lawmakers, that's Humax. They should provide an option to prevent the box going into standby.

In the meantime, you could make do with the Power-On/Off options. Set it to Power Off at, say, 6:30 a.m. and set it to Power On at 6:31.

Not much you can do to stop it saving you money by going into stand by when it's not being used, I guess.

(No offence intended)

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 20:40:53 #9 |
  10. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

JamesB - 6 minutes ago  » 

They should provide an option to prevent the box going into standby.

They do, don't press the off button

| Fri 7 Feb 2014 20:50:24 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.