My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Video freezing on SD Channels

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stoker

My Humax FVP 5000T has started freezing every few seconds when I try to watch SD channels. All I get is a series of freeze frames. Sound seems to be okay. HD Channels seem to be okay. I've recycled the power hoping that it would solve the problem but to no effect.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

| Sat 2 Jul 2022 18:26:31 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Stoker - 3 hours ago  » 
    My Humax FVP 5000T has started freezing every few seconds when I try to watch SD channels. All I get is a series of freeze frames. Sound seems to be okay. HD Channels seem to be okay. I've recycled the power hoping that it would solve the problem but to no effect.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Have you tried retuning with the Smart option turned off? You will lose the schedule of future recordings.

| Sat 2 Jul 2022 21:31:19 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stoker

Hi Martin

I've just tried that but it it hasn't made any significant difference. There's maybe slightly longer between freezes but the problem is still there.

Many Thanks .

| Sat 2 Jul 2022 21:53:34 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Stoker - 10 mins ago  » 
    I've just tried that but it it hasn't made any significant difference. There's maybe slightly longer between freezes but the problem is still there.

What is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax when tuned to a channel with freezes?

| Sat 2 Jul 2022 22:05:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stoker

Hi Martin

Channel 4 is an example where the freezing occurs. Strength = 98-99%, Quality 100%.

Many thanks again for your help.

David

| Sun 3 Jul 2022 9:05:10 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stoker

Hi Again Martin

I maybe should have said that the signal strength I reportyed above was for Tuner 1.

Tuners 2 and 3 have a sinal strength and quality of 0%.

Thanks

| Sun 3 Jul 2022 9:19:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Signal strength of 0% simply means the tuner is not in use.

The signal strength of 98-99% is in my view, higher than is desirable and MIGHT be causing tuner saturation. I suggest trying a variable attenuator in the aerial cabling such as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310039226920?hash=item482fc72a28:g:-MgAAOxyBotTZopc Then aim for a signal strength of around 80% and see if it fixes the problem. No guarantees that this will work but it has helped a fair number of people over the years but not everybody.

Another thing to check is that the HDMI lead is as well separated from the aerial cable as possible.

| Sun 3 Jul 2022 9:55:01 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Stoker

Okay Martin

I'll try what you suggest but I wonder why it has become a problem now when it has been working for several years without any problem. I haven't made any changes to my set up recently.

Regards

| Sun 3 Jul 2022 10:11:58 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

carola

I'm having the same problem, but only on BBC SD channels. Have retuned, turned off and on in wall to no avail. Yesterday only one tuner showing, today 2 and varies between 90 and 98 for signal strength.

| Mon 4 Jul 2022 16:48:49 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

carola - 2 hours ago  » 
    I'm having the same problem, but only on BBC SD channels. Have retuned, turned off and on in wall to no avail. Yesterday only one tuner showing, today 2 and varies between 90 and 98 for signal strength.

You will only see signal info for more than one channel if you are actively using two or more Mux.

So, if you are watching BBC1 SD and recording BBC2 HD, you will see two, but if both are HD then you will only see one, because both HD channels are on the same Mux (BBC-B also known as PSB 3).

However if, perhaps, you were watching ITV SD and recording BBC1 SD and BBC2 HD then that would involve three Mux and would show all three tuners in use, along with their strength and quality figures.

ITV SD is Mux D3&4 (aka PSB 2)
    BBC1 SD is Mux BBC A (PSB 1)
    BBC2 HD is Mux BBC B (PSB 3)

A strength figure of 90-98 sounds a bit high for the 4000T/5000T and may be the reason for the problem. I get 84-86 and even that sometimes seems a bit patchy even though it usually shows quality of 100%, quality being the critical measurement.

| Mon 4 Jul 2022 19:59:01 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.