My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Viewing a series recording in correct order

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pgh1949

When viewing a group of recordings (for example a series of TV programmes), when you cursor into the programme the cursor highlights the most recent recording by default. However I want to watch the oldest one first, as I'm sure most people do!

Is there any way of achieving this apart from going into the list and moving the cursor up to the top manually? I find it extremely cumbersome and irritating to carry out such a basic function every time I watch a series.

| Tue 23 Feb 2016 19:07:48 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I don't have a 4000T but based on other Humax boxes doesn't one press down go to the top of the list ?

| Tue 23 Feb 2016 19:24:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

pgh1949

I don't have a 4000T but based on other Humax boxes doesn't one press down go to the top of the list ?

'Fraid not. You have to go up up up up etc.

Even if it did, surely it makes sense to start at the earliest episode by default rather than the most recent, or maybe the nice people at Humax like to watch a series backwards

| Tue 23 Feb 2016 19:27:28 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

pgh1949 - 48 seconds ago  » 

Even if it did, surely it makes sense to start at the earliest episode by default rather than the most recent, or maybe the nice people at Humax like to watch a series backwards

Some of the earlier boxes have a button to re-order the epg. It does seem a tad daft. The inconsistant sort order on the freetime units is much worse.

| Tue 23 Feb 2016 19:30:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 

Some of the earlier boxes have a button to re-order the epg. It does seem a tad daft. The inconsistant sort order on the freetime units is much worse.

Oh don't start me on the logic behind the freetime recordings ordering Graham - I have a greater understanding of the Higgs boson than my freetime recordings and recordings schedule pages.

| Tue 23 Feb 2016 23:34:39 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 48 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 

Oh don't start me on the logic behind the freetime recordings ordering Graham - I have a greater understanding of the Higgs boson than my freetime recordings and recordings schedule pages.

The order is not that hard to understand. The logic behind it is incomprehensible based on how the broadcasters code their metadata.

On Freetime the order is primarily decided on if the broadcaster provides a episode number within the reach of the current series coding.

If they do so the order is the lowest episode at the top (and it's the first one selected). We have the situation that would be entirely logical.

In the absence of a serial episode number the order is reversed, the newest episode appears at the top (confusing enough in it's own right)

Problem 1 - Now consider long running soaps etc that do have serial numbers that eventually reach such large numbers that the broadcaster resets them, you then have a much newer episode that appears at the top of the list and it was transmitted long after the others.

Problem 2 - Multiple series sharing the same codes. Example BBC 2 are currently showing 3 series of A Place To Call Home (complete with episode numbers) concurrently. Each has 10 episodes, if you left them to record completely you would have 3 episode 1's, followed by 3 episode 2's and so on. If you dipped into the series and deleted early ones you are left with a complete dogs dinner.

Problem 3 - Some broadcasters either do not consistently include episode numbers or may not add a episode number to a first longer introduction.

Why freesat cannot see the logic of a simple time date order display in the media list (it worked completely OK for years on a Foxsat-hdr) beggars belief.

| Wed 24 Feb 2016 0:46:05 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

pgh1949

Can i respectfully bring this discussion back to my original question which was about existing recordings and not the order of TV stations in the EPG. Let me try and explain more clearly.

Say I have a series of recordings of a daily show, what it is is unimportant. Say I have recordings for 20th Feb, 21st, 22nd and 23rd. When I select the show I am presented with a list of the 4 dates and the one that is highlighted is the most recent one, in this example 23/02. To view the first one (21/02) so I get to watch them in the correct order I have to do a left click to get onto the list itself, then go up up up, do a right click then select play. Surely it makes more sense to highlight the first episode so I can just click on play?

| Wed 24 Feb 2016 10:08:58 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

pgh1949 - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Can i respectfully bring this discussion back to my original question which was about existing recordings and not the order of TV stations in the EPG. Let me try and explain more clearly.
    Say I have a series of recordings of a daily show, what it is is unimportant. Say I have recordings for 20th Feb, 21st, 22nd and 23rd. When I select the show I am presented with a list of the 4 dates and the one that is highlighted is the most recent one, in this example 23/02. To view the first one (21/02) so I get to watch them in the correct order I have to do a left click to get onto the list itself, then go up up up, do a right click then select play. Surely it makes more sense to highlight the first episode so I can just click on play?

Somewhat confused, who has mentioned the epg order ? My post was about the order of recorded programmes in the media list. It merely pointed out that your box is more logical than the mess a freetime box makes of the media list display order within a series folder.

I have already agreed that it would be sensible to highlight the top entry in the media list. This is in fact what a freetime box does, trouble is it's not consistently the oldest recording.

| Wed 24 Feb 2016 10:46:24 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

pgh1949

Sorry, I misunderstood. I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet after all.

| Wed 24 Feb 2016 10:51:13 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Problem 2 - Multiple series sharing the same codes. Example BBC 2 are currently showing 3 series of A Place To Call Home (complete with episode numbers) concurrently. Each has 10 episodes, if you left them to record completely you would have 3 episode 1's, followed by 3 episode 2's and so on. If you dipped into the series and deleted early ones you are left with a complete dogs dinner.

Agreed, I find this one particularly exasperating.

Why freesat cannot see the logic of a simple time date order display in the media list (it worked completely OK for years on a Foxsat-hdr) beggars belief.

Part of the trend towards IPTV, perhaps. Less interest in getting the "traditional" PVR functions right - they'd much rather we'd all just watch prior episodes on catchup and not bother with recordings.

| Wed 24 Feb 2016 10:59:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.