My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Volume control increases in steps

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rick J

I've just bought an Aura, and have discovered something a little strange compared to my previous Humax products.
    In previous versions the volume increased smoothly without any discernable steps.
    However, the Aura increases its volume in clearly defined steps. No problem here as such, but the problem is that the steps aren't even. Steps 0-1 and 1-2 are quite small, giving a more or less smooth increase in volume, but step 2-3 provides a much higher volume increase, probably at least double the previoustwo or also the subsequent steps.
    A workaround has been to reduce the input volume from the TV so as to get a higher step, say about 10 out of the 15 steps, as "normal", so as to take steps 2-3 out of the used step numbers. However this does limit the overall range of useable volumes.

So, firstly why have Humax gone to stepped volume, instead of continuous, and secondly is there any way I can cure this higher volume step from 2-3 compared to the other volume steps?

Thanks in advance of for any thoughts on this

Rick J

| Tue 22 Nov 2022 23:18:13 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB1

I vaguely remember seeing (hearing) exactly what you have seen when I got my Aura.

One option is to configure the remote to set the TV volume directly, rather than the volume on the Aura. This is how I have mine configured and it works well.

| Wed 23 Nov 2022 0:16:15 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

MattB1 - 8 hours ago  » 
    I vaguely remember seeing (hearing) exactly what you have seen when I got my Aura.
    One option is to configure the remote to set the TV volume directly, rather than the volume on the Aura. This is how I have mine configured and it works well.

Same here, except it controls my surround sound system.

| Wed 23 Nov 2022 9:16:49 #3 |
  4. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

That's interesting, how did you do that? I have to use my TV remote to control the volume which then also controls the AV amp. It would be useful to have the Humax remote properly control volume and mute on my AV amp.

| Wed 23 Nov 2022 11:23:30 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

Geoff_W - 3 hours ago  » 

That's interesting, how did you do that? I have to use my TV remote to control the volume which then also controls the AV amp. It would be useful to have the Humax remote properly control volume and mute on my AV amp.

I have the remote paired as Bluetooth so if the AV wasn’t on it would control the TV volume, as soon as I turn on my AV system it picks up the input via HDMI and then the Humax gun controls the volume, mute, power etc. My TV remote is gathering dust in a drawer

| Wed 23 Nov 2022 14:24:12 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Rick J

Hi, Thanks for your comments. Adjusting the volume with the tv remote does seem to be the only approaach, except in my setup the tv handset only seems to affect the tv's own volume, not the analogue output (via DAC) to the external hifi amp. But the Humax's own handset volume control increases or decreases them both simutaneously, giving a proper overall volume adjustment. So thats why the step 2 -3 thing comes into play.

It seems a really clunky piece of design to have such an odd type of error. Its by no means crucial as such, but I would wonder why Humax would even come away from smooth volume increase to stepped increments, and if they did why they then couldn't even get thqt stepping right.

I don't suppose there's any adjustment or fix for this on the unit itself? It seems unlikely I know, but I would never underestimate the wealth of knowledge and expertise out there!

| Thu 24 Nov 2022 16:59:00 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.