My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Weak signal or not receiving a signal error

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buzzz

Hi
    I’m new to this forum and desperately need help....

I’ve got a Sony Bravia tv which I was using as a smart tv and with the aerial cable for live tv, but chose to purchase a humax box (had one years ago), as I wanted to be able to record, pause etc. Tv programmes.

Prior to this, the tv was fully watchable, no signal issues using the aerial cable I’d recently bought. On setting up the humax box, I’ve followed the instructions, all gone as planned, however only a few channels found. I’ve re-tuned, automatically and manually, and I get different numbers of tv channels that it finds, with some of the channels not being found when I manually re-tune.

Although I’ve been watching and recording tv, I’ve had a constant, but intermittent signal issue (see below), not when there has been bad weather, and I’ve checked my signal in my area and it says it’s good.

I’ve tried another aerial cable, made sure all cables are in, checked aerial outside, and all is good.

I’m at my wits end for something which should be easy, can any one help?

I’m a complete TV luddite, so any advice, please spell it out

“The receiver is not receiving a signal or the signal is too weak” or “no signal” and sometimes “network disconnected” - all of which eventually go away, sometimes quicker than others.

Thanks in advanced!

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 21:58:35 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Buzzz - 44 mins ago  » 
    Prior to this, the tv was fully watchable, no signal issues using the aerial cable I’d recently bought. On setting up the humax box, I’ve followed the instructions, all gone as planned, however only a few channels found. I’ve re-tuned, automatically and manually, and I get different numbers of tv channels that it finds, with some of the channels not being found when I manually re-tune.

If you reconnect the aerial cable to the TV and let it retune does it get the expected range of channels?

I’ve checked my signal in my area and it says it’s good.
    I’ve tried another aerial cable, made sure all cables are in, checked aerial outside, and all is good.

You seem to have done the sensible things. When manually tuning did you follow the instructions in the FAQ at https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/manual-tuning-instructions-1 ? How long have you had the Humax?

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 22:47:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buzzz

Hi Martin, when I reconnect the cable and automatically retune, it varies, the most. I’ve had is about 60 (there should be over 100). Regarding the manual tuning, yes, I followed these instructions.

When checking signal strength, there are 3 (I can’t remember what they are.... tuning 1, 2, 3?) which shows signal strength and quality. 2 and 3 is zero for both and 1, the quality is normally 100% but the strength is about 40-50%. not sure if that indicates anything?

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 23:26:40 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Buzzz - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi Martin, when I reconnect the cable and automatically retune, it varies, the most. I’ve had is about 60 (there should be over 100).

I know you say you have checked but to me it sounds like a problem with the aerial or the cabling. Is the aerial pointing in the correct direction? Are you sure there are no kinks in the aerial cabling? Have you checked for water getting into the cabling? Is there a masthead amplifier in the aerial cabling and if so is it still working? have you checked any joints in the cabling?

When checking signal strength, there are 3 (I can’t remember what they are.... tuning 1, 2, 3?) which shows signal strength and quality. 2 and 3 is zero for both and 1, the quality is normally 100% but the strength is about 40-50%. not sure if that indicates anything?

There are three tuners in the FVP which is the 1, 2, 3; the tuners will only show a strength and quality when they are actually doing something. 50% signal strength should be workable and signal quality 100% is the important parameter. If you want to see all three tuners in action start simultaneous recordings on BBC1, ITV and BBC TWO HD.

| Sun 14 Feb 2021 1:15:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buzzz

Thanks Martin. Re the cable... it runs from the box straight into the wall connector, which is fine; this then runs somehow into the loft (i assume?). The aerial itself is off the back of the house, and looks ok. Also, if i plug aerial cable straight into tv it works fine, so why not with the box, this is what I can’t understand.

| Sun 14 Feb 2021 10:51:27 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buzzz

I also now keep getting messages saying network disconnect, and the humax box is showing a red light. Is it worth re setting it somehow?

| Sun 14 Feb 2021 10:52:58 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Buzzz - 2 hours ago  » 
    Is it worth re setting it somehow?

You reset by pressing the Red Freeview button the select Settings> System Settings> Factory default. You will need a password or pin which, unless you have modified it, will be 0000. You didn't answer my question about how long you have had the Humax?

| Sun 14 Feb 2021 13:15:47 #7 |
  8. jpv1960

jpv1960

Buzzz - 2 hours ago  » 
    Also, if i plug aerial cable straight into tv it works fine, so why not with the box, this is what I can’t understand.

This is only a suggestion. I have a fvp-5000t and old Toshiba smart TV. I bought a TV signal amplifier with one 'in' and 'two' outputs. They are pretty cheap and don't take much power. (screwfix, TLC electrical or online stores will have them). I have to use one to get decent signal on the fvp-5000t. I think some of the old TVs were very good design and like the old Beta/Vhs video players, they may have a pre-amp built in. I still get 'no programmes' on ITV4 on 5000t, but fine on the TV and BT Youview+ (Humax DTR-T2100), which is quite an old box but works very vell.

With regards your network connection message, if you using wifi to connect, I would say if possible, try a direct ethernet cable connection. I bought one of thoes wifi boosters, plugged it into the mains near the TV and made a direct connection as it came with one ethernet connector port. (Amazon has good choice)

| Sun 14 Feb 2021 13:20:40 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Buzzz

Martin - sorry, box is about 2 weeks old.

JPV - TV and box new... so would this still apply?

| Sun 14 Feb 2021 18:06:04 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Buzzz - 29 mins ago  » 
    Martin - sorry, box is about 2 weeks old.

I would try talking to Humax support on the telephone who may be able to help you.

| Sun 14 Feb 2021 18:36:42 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.