My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

What causes our 1000s to wake up?

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

When I'm sitting quietly in our lounge I often hear the unmistakable 'squawk' of our Freesat 1000s spinning into life. Obviously the PVR is in standby when this happens (eco mode) and no recordings are taking place. This happens at pretty regular intervals.

I have often wondered what is causing the PVR to wake up in this way and can only surmise it has something to do with the EPG being updated.

Am I correct in my assumption or is there another reason?

| Sat 3 Jan 2015 23:56:32 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

If you have it paired to the Freesat App and you have a Freesat ID attached to the box then the hard drive will boot up every 20 mins.

Go to settings -> Freesat ID and unpair any users if you have any in the list.

| Sun 4 Jan 2015 2:52:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

-gonzo- - 9 hours ago  » 
    If you have it paired to the Freesat App and you have a Freesat ID attached to the box then the hard drive will boot up every 20 mins.

Thanks Gonzo. Not sure how my post ended up in the wrong sub-forum but never mind. Admin edit: moved to HDR sub forum.

I have installed the Freesat app to give it a try. It's not very satisfactory to keep waking up the PVR though is it? Not very green at all. Surely though if I unpair the app then it will in effect be rendered useless and not be able to perform its task of setting recordings whilst the user is away from home.

If that is the only option to prevent the box from constantly waking up then the app has been poorly thought through IMHO.

| Sun 4 Jan 2015 12:34:23 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 16 minutes ago  » 

-gonzo- - 9 hours ago  » 

Thanks Gonzo. Not sure how my post ended up in the wrong sub-forum but never mind.
    I have installed the Freesat app to give it a try. It's not very satisfactory to keep waking up the PVR though is it? Not very green at all. Surely though if I unpair the app then it will in effect be rendered useless and not be able to perform its task of setting recordings whilst the user is away from home.
    If that is the only option to prevent the box from constantly waking up then the app has been poorly thought through IMHO.

In common with all new pvrs that are legally obliged to have a sby power consumption of sub 0.5W it's not possible to provide a Wake On Lan capability and I guess the hardware isn't capable anyway. However the polling wake up should certainly be longer and ideally user selectable. Unpaired you can still use the appp as a remote control. If I was using it I would only pair the app if I was going to be away for longer than the current epg contents.

| Sun 4 Jan 2015 12:55:34 #4 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

It's been complained about since the app was first released.
    On one hand I do see Freesats idea for this to cover last minute (within 20 mins of start time) recordings being set while away from home, as if it's longer intervals between checking the server for changes then say for example your running late home for whatever reason so decide to set a recording of that one program you must see then the box won't get the request to record before the start time so no recording will happen.
    Saying that though, Freesat have said they are looking into changing how often it will boot up. http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/humax-app-disk-spinning#post-33506

| Sun 4 Jan 2015 12:56:24 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

TBH the only reason I decided to try it was my penchant for forgetting to set something I really want to record when I've gone out for the day and unlikely to be back home in time.

However, given this apps current behaviour and the number of catchup options available these days I have now un-paired the app re: Gonzo's advice and won't be pairing it again until the app has been improved.

This app totally defeats any attempt to make the 1000s a 'green device'.

| Sun 4 Jan 2015 15:52:42 #6 |
  7. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Faust - 6 minutes ago  » 

However, given this apps current behaviour and the number of catchup options available these days I have now un-paired the app re: Gonzo's advice and won't be pairing it again until the app has been improved.
    This app totally defeats any attempt to make the 1000s a 'green device'.

The actual app itself works fine and it's not the app that's the problem.
    The issue is the way the box is told to behave when paired to a Freesat ID, so looks like we will just have to wait and see what future updates will bring.

| Sun 4 Jan 2015 16:08:12 #7 |
  8. black knight

black knight

special member

Even without the app installed, these G2 boxes wake up far more often than the old Foxsats do. We bought one as a bedroom box and have been constantly awoken by the drive spinning up, sometimes multiple times a night even with no recordings scheduled.

It got so bad we've had to put the old 'quiet' Foxsat back in, which means we can get a good nights sleep again. There's just something odd about these G2 boxes and the way they keep checking for stuff.

| Fri 9 Jan 2015 12:35:07 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

black knight - 33 minutes ago  » 
    Even without the app installed, these G2 boxes wake up far more often than the old Foxsats do. We bought one as a bedroom box and have been constantly awoken by the drive spinning up, sometimes multiple times a night even with no recordings scheduled.
    It got so bad we've had to put the old 'quiet' Foxsat back in, which means we can get a good nights sleep again. There's just something odd about these G2 boxes and the way they keep checking for stuff.

There is something unusual about your box as my two year old box has never done that. Check Settings for a wakeup period having been set.

| Fri 9 Jan 2015 13:11:23 #9 |
  10. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

black knight - 1 hour ago  » 

Don't get that with my box at all.
    The only time it wakes up is 15 mins before a scheduled recording is due.

| Fri 9 Jan 2015 14:21:18 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.