My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

What happened?

(27 posts)
  1. Marvin

Marvin

Victor Delta - 11 hours ago  » 
    I have to say that I find the concept of firmware which, in effect, allows the device to delete customers' recording schedules, without first asking them and then not telling them it's happened, totally unacceptable. Or am I missing something here?

As I mentioned in another thread where this came up, having an auto-selected option that results in destructive changes is an absolute no-no and anyone with half a walnut of good user design skill knows that. Unfortunately Humax don't belong to that camp...

| Fri 26 Jun 2015 9:07:58 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

colirv

Luke - 1 day ago  » 

Victor Delta - 8 hours ago  » 
    How can I ensure this never happens again (ie without me giving permission for the update)?

Next time you are away for a few days:

Switch off the auto power on
      Leave it to record from stand-by
      I also don't have any reminders but I'm not 100% sure that matters
    That way it'll leave the auto-tune pop-up until you come back and switch it on by hand.

Do you know if this will work for OTA upgrades as well? I lost 5 weeks of scheduled recordings a few months ago when on extended holiday.

| Fri 26 Jun 2015 12:16:04 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

Luke - 1 day ago  » 

That way it'll leave the auto-tune pop-up until you come back and switch it on by hand.

Luke

I've just checked my settings and the Power Off Timer was already off, so your solution will not prevent this problem happening.

Any other ideas?

Barry - you've been keeping your head down on this. Can it be added to the fix list for the next firmware update please?

Thanks.

| Fri 26 Jun 2015 23:51:24 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Two separate questions involved here:

1 - What does the D-book say tuners should do when a retune is needed and no user response is received

2 - What should an unattended box do about the timers in the event of a retune?

The latest D-Book apparently specifies "Smart Retune".

Smart retunes: These allow viewers to retune their TV or box without losing any scheduled recordings, favourites settings and reminders they’ve set, or their choice of region. Smart retunes should play a key role in helping to minimise viewer disruption during changes to the TV network, including events such as the future clearance of Freeview signals from airwaves in the 700MHz band.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/about_digital_uk/digital_uk_blog/D-Book_gets_smart_to_improve_retuning

Anyone privy to the D-book and willing to comment?

| Sat 27 Jun 2015 8:34:48 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Victor Delta - 14 hours ago  » 

Luke - 1 day ago  » 

Luke
    I've just checked my settings and the Power Off Timer was already off, so your solution will not prevent this problem happening.
    Any other ideas?

Yes, I agree that the power saving option alone will not stop it.

Having the power saving option turned off is only part of the solution. The HDR-2000T has to stay in standby.

| Sat 27 Jun 2015 14:35:05 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

So perhaps the auto tune happened when the 2000T woke up to do make a scheduled recording?

Presumably, temporarily disconnecting the device from the internet would not solve the problem as I assume the need for the auto tune is sensed OTA?

| Sat 27 Jun 2015 14:56:42 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JamesB - 6 hours ago  » 
    Two separate questions involved here:
    1 - What does the D-book say tuners should do when a retune is needed and no user response is received
    2 - What should an unattended box do about the timers in the event of a retune?
    The latest D-Book apparently specifies "Smart Retune".

Smart retunes: These allow viewers to retune their TV or box without losing any scheduled recordings, favourites settings and reminders they’ve set, or their choice of region. Smart retunes should play a key role in helping to minimise viewer disruption during changes to the TV network, including events such as the future clearance of Freeview signals from airwaves in the 700MHz band.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/about_digital_uk/digital_uk_blog/D-Book_gets_smart_to_improve_retuning
    Anyone privy to the D-book and willing to comment?

In the context of existing freeview+ HD certification it used to be that a new D-book will not have any direct influence on existing models. It used to be that manufacturer's were still able to continue to use the freeview+ HD logo on a model as its certification would not be revoked if a new version of the d-book came out after it was certified.

The last line of the blog can be read two different ways. It could be referring to new models that first go on sale from spring 2016, or it could be referring to all feeview+ HD units that are bought new from Spring 2016. I suspect that is is the former.

All of the changes above will be present in receivers on sale from spring 2016, helping to ensure DTT equipment continues to evolve with the development of Freeview and our viewers have the best possible experience.

| Sat 27 Jun 2015 15:50:32 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I suspect you may be right. And the new Freeview-Play-enabled box will soon displace the 1800T/2000T as the flagship Freeview model.

However, even though not obligatory, Humax might opt to bring the 1800T/2000T into line as far as Smart Retunes go.

| Sat 27 Jun 2015 16:06:03 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

JamesB - 50 minutes ago  » 

However, even though not obligatory, Humax might opt to bring the 1800T/2000T into line as far as Smart Retunes go.

In the meantime, something must be done urgently to stop auto tunes proceeding without the user's consent.

| Sat 27 Jun 2015 16:59:16 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Victor Delta - 4 minutes ago  » 

JamesB - 50 minutes ago  » 

In the meantime, something must be done urgently to stop auto tunes proceeding without the user's consent.

It's not that simple. The way the box behaves at present evidently conforms to the relevant D-Book requirements, since it passed the testing. Not having access to the D-Book, I don't know what's stipulated, and what's merely not prohibited. It's not in anyone's interest for retunes to be prevented.

| Sat 27 Jun 2015 17:11:14 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.