My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

What happened?

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Interesting article from What Satellite and Digital TV (July 2012, i.e. during DSO):

http://www.dtg.org.uk/dtg/press_releases/dtg_whatsat_201207p20.pdf

It seems auto-retuning is facilitated by the DTG but is optional. Or was then.

And the DTG says:

Network Change Notify descriptors (NCNd)
    Network change notify descriptors are used to signal significant platform changes. A start time and duration of the work is given, at the end of which receivers can offer the viewer the opportunity to re-tune and acquire the change. An associated message may be broadcast to inform the viewer of the work prior to the event.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/industry/About_DTT/glossary_of_terms?result_76219_result_page=N

From this it appears autotuning is still optional, as far as the DTG is concerned, and Humax could give users the option to disable it.

| Sat 27 Jun 2015 17:53:12 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Victor Delta

special member

Until auto tuning can be done without deleting users' recording schedules, surely everyone would want to disable it?

| Sat 27 Jun 2015 18:36:08 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Perhaps if Humax decided to provide an option to disable auto-tuning, the deletion of the timers would also be looked at.

Speaking for myself, I don't find auto-tuning causes me problems. I don't at present own a Humax Freeview device, but my Panasonic DVD recorder auto-tunes if repeated invitations get no response. Timers are not deleted wholesale. Obviously there's always the potential for timers for an affected MUX to be wrecked by a retune, but I've never found that to be the case. All depends on individual recording habits of course.

Humax YouView boxes autotune, without deleting all timers, or so I seem to recall. And, as mentioned, Humax's new Freeview Play boxes will need to Smart Retune, to pass the DTG testing. Perhaps Humax will now bring its DSO-era recorders in line, as it seems retunes can only become more frequent as spectrum is transferred to mobile.

| Sat 27 Jun 2015 18:55:58 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JamesB - 20 hours ago  » Humax YouView boxes autotune, without deleting all timers, or so I seem to recall.

Yes the Youview boxes do retain all timers, or sort of.
    The Huwei ones are OK but the Humax ones can tune into a mix of transmitters. On my Humax Youview box I need to do the equivalent of a manual tune by connecting and disconnecting the RF lead at the appropriate point and then testing for symptoms of mixed transmitters. If I leave it to a normal retune it misses of almost equal strength I doubt that it could satisfactorily resolve all previous timers if it was left to its own devices on an auto-tune.
    If I always left it to alone to auto-tune there is no guarantee that the way it mixes transmitters will be the same on each auto-tune and therefor have resolvable timers. And also some new timers would fail regardless of a 2nd retune or not.

Huwei Youview do it all fine.

| Sun 28 Jun 2015 15:14:33 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Sounds pretty poor.

I wonder why.

| Sun 28 Jun 2015 16:27:32 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sounds pretty poor.
    I wonder why.

I'm not sure which is worse, the Humax Youview auto-tune or my typing in post #24. But hopefully you understand the jist of my post.

| Sun 28 Jun 2015 18:03:38 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I got the drift.

I've seen complaints about the Humax YouView box tuning problems before, but hadn't realised it was that bad. I get a good signal from a single transmitter (Crystal Palace) so my YouView box had no choice but to tune itself nicely. So I never experienced the problems.

Do you find the Huawei box ok in other ways? I've heard it's on the sluggish side.

| Sun 28 Jun 2015 18:26:45 #27 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.