What's the best box?

(49 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

gomezz - 35 minutes ago  » 

sirdavy - 11 hours ago  » 

AJ - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sir Davy looks to be frustrated by the procedure to change channel from the guide or info banner, in that it doesn’t change channel but goes to the info screen first.

Yes, this is exactly my problem. I want to watch Newsnight I don't need to see an f-n info screen telling me what the programme I've already chosen to view is. Not only is it an extra click it's a ponderous couple of seconds while the info screen populates with all the unwanted information. Is there anyway to kill the info screen?

Does not pressing OK on the programme entry in the EPG take you straight to programme (admittedly with the info banner at the bottom of the screen until it times out or you press Back / Return as happens on my BT Youview box?
    Or is it more like my old Foxsat HDR where you press OK twice in quick succession from the EPG entry?
    I too make use of Favourites on my Harmony Ultimate remote control but as that is limited to only work on one box I have chosen to use them for the Youview box which is the most cumbersome for channel navigation of my three boxes.

Damned if they do...

One of the gripes oft mentioned re the 4000T software was that in the guide pressing OK on a programme currently on air the unit would switch to that channel. It has been changed in the 5000T software so that it now just displays the programme info, pressing OK a second time changes channel.

| Thu 1 Feb 2018 10:05:46 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

micmac

Barry - 2 hours ago  » 

AJ - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sir Davy looks to be frustrated by the procedure to change channel from the guide or info banner, in that it doesn’t change channel but goes to the info screen first.

Yes, this is exactly my problem. I want to watch Newsnight I don't need to see an f-n info screen telling me what the programme I've already chosen to view is. Not only is it an extra click it's a ponderous couple of seconds while the info screen populates with all the unwanted information. Is there anyway to kill the info screen?

Does not pressing OK on the programme entry in the EPG take you straight to programme (admittedly with the info banner at the bottom of the screen until it times out or you press Back / Return as happens on my BT Youview box?
    Or is it more like my old Foxsat HDR where you press OK twice in quick succession from the EPG entry?
    I too make use of Favourites on my Harmony Ultimate remote control but as that is limited to only work on one box I have chosen to use them for the Youview box which is the most cumbersome for channel navigation of my three boxes.

Damned if they do...
    One of the gripes oft mentioned re the 4000T software was that in the guide pressing OK on a programme currently on air the unit would switch to that channel. It has been changed in the 5000T software so that it now just displays the programme info, pressing OK a second time changes channel.

Humax could have saved themselves all this trouble by just keeping an info button like everyone else...

| Thu 1 Feb 2018 12:17:05 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

How difficult would it be do a firmware update to make one of the coloured buttons become an INFO button?

| Thu 1 Feb 2018 12:58:01 #43 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

boogersa - 9 minutes ago  » 
    How difficult would it be do a firmware update to make one of the coloured buttons become an INFO button?

Depends if the command set actually includes a Info command. Pretty sure Logitech don't include a Info command in the FVP-5000T device in their database. You may be able to programme a macro to a coloured button using one of the more advanced logitech harmony remotes.

One of the older remotes will control the FVP-5000T if set to the right Infra Red mode. I doubt the info button will do anything.

| Thu 1 Feb 2018 13:11:55 #44 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

grahamlthompson - 13 minutes ago  » 

boogersa - 9 minutes ago  » 

One of the older remotes will control the FVP-5000T if set to the right Infra Red mode. I doubt the info button will do anything.

Correct - you are just presented with the 'no entry' icon

| Thu 1 Feb 2018 13:26:34 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

sirdavy

micmac - 1 day ago  » 

Barry - 2 hours ago  » 

AJ - 1 hour ago  » 

Damned if they do...

Humax could have saved themselves all this trouble by just keeping an info button like everyone else...

Yes, exactly. It's forcing unwanted information on the user. I know what My Favourite Programme or The News is, I don't need a logline to tell me about it. I bet 90% of what people watch are familiar programmes. An 'i' button on the remote would seem the most rational choice. Maybe the broadcasters behind freeview are force feeding this info to users to optimize take up of new shows.

BTW - is there a way to change the view of media on the NAS from large icons to 'list view'?

| Fri 2 Feb 2018 13:49:34 #46 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Presumably the NAS has thumbnail images that the box is loading. What happens if you move the thumbnails ? Does the box then display the filenames ?

Just tried moving a movie into the shared Video folder on my laptop. Doesn't seem to be any way not to show a icon with the filename superimposed on it.

| Fri 2 Feb 2018 14:07:15 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

giverny

special member

The original question on this post was which is the best box. I think this can now be answered by postings elsewhere.

Forget the pedigree boxes and go for a crossbreed 4000T running 5000T software

| Sat 3 Feb 2018 20:02:48 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

sirdavy

Well, I've had the FVP-5000T for about 18 months now and while it does everything I want it to, every day I hate it more and more. Have there been any fixes for the lag or ways to improve its speed or improvements to the UI since I last checked in?

| Fri 20 Sep 2019 9:38:07 #49 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.