My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

Where is BBC4 HD?

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tafwys

The latest changes are causing problem for many people in London:

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/londoners-struggle-with-freeview.html

I don't have a Humax Freeview box (I have Humax Freesat box, so no problems!) but I did try re-tuning my Samsung 4K TV and got the same as you. The test case is the missing BBC Four HD but there are other channels missing.
    Could that splitter/booster be blocking the new channels on 55 (COM7) and 56 (COM8)???
    My problems seem to be down to a communal aerial!

| Fri 23 Mar 2018 18:41:28 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Tafwys - 1 hour ago  » 
    The latest changes are causing problem for many people in London:
    https://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/londoners-struggle-with-freeview.html
    I don't have a Humax Freeview box (I have Humax Freesat box, so no problems!) but I did try re-tuning my Samsung 4K TV and got the same as you. The test case is the missing BBC Four HD but there are other channels missing.
    Could that splitter/booster be blocking the new channels on 55 (COM7) and 56 (COM8)???
    My problems seem to be down to a communal aerial!

The most likely issue is the one identified above. For a very long time Crystal Palace has used frequencies within the reach of a group A aerial.

Look at the aerial group graphs at this link.

http://aerialsandtv.com/tvaerialtests.html#AerialGroups

Along the bottom is the UHF spectrum channels 21 to 68.

The gain curve for a group A is shown in Red. Look at the point where the red curve hits the zero gain bottom axis (about halfway between UHF channels 37 and 48. The two Multiplexes that carry the extra HD multiplexes have moved to UHF channels 55 and 56. At these frequencies a Group A is about as useless as a chocolate teapot

Now look at the black Wideband gain curve.

Splitter and Boosters are designed to handle all the UHF channels 21-68 pretty much the same. There may be a built in filter in the communal installation that blocks the higher frequencies.

In the end it's down to whoever is paid to provide the communal TV services to sort it out.

| Fri 23 Mar 2018 20:13:19 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wackywebs

Reading this thread with the same problem of no bbc4 HD in London and no signal strength on ch35 since Mar 21St.Yes I have an old aerial, however i have all channels on my newer Toshiba TV that is connected to the same aerial! How can the aerial be the problem of it works for newer receiver?

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 22:19:00 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Wackywebs - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Reading this thread with the same problem of no bbc4 HD in London and no signal strength on ch35 since Mar 21St.Yes I have an old aerial, however i have all channels on my newer Toshiba TV that is connected to the same aerial! How can the aerial be the problem of it works for newer receiver?

It can't. However COM 8 isn't on CH 35 anymore. Your TV may have retuned automatically. Have you tried a retune on your HD-FOX-T2 ?

On the 21st March

COM 7 moved to UHF 55 and COM 8 to UHF 56.

Your aerial clearly isn't a group A so hopefully a retune will fix.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 22:32:49 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I wouldn't worry too much London viewers, you are in good company with most of the Midlands and North West, who experienced this issue a couple of weeks before yourselves.

I myself have had to have a new aerial fitted - Log36. Now able to watch the 19 or so missing channels again. Mind you COM 7 and 8 are operating on reduced power so some people may still struggle even with an new aerial.

Look on the bright side - the government will be making zillions more pounds by selling off the vacated spectrum to the mobile operators for 5G services. You don't begrudge spending a few quid on an aerial if it makes the government and mobile operators richer, or do you..........

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 22:39:59 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wackywebs

Thanks for the reply. I've retuned 3 times and the humax doesn't find the channels.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 22:41:03 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 37 seconds ago  » 
    I wouldn't worry too much London viewers, you are in good company with most of the Midlands and North West, who experienced this issue a couple of weeks before yourselves.
    I myself have had to have a new aerial fitted - Log36. Now able to watch the 19 or so missing channels again. Mind you COM 7 and 8 are operating on reduced power so some people may still struggle even with an new aerial.
    Look on the bright side - the government will be making zillions more pounds by selling off the vacated spectrum to the mobile operators for 5G services. You don't begrudge spending a few quid on an aerial if it makes the government and mobile operators richer, or do you..........

If the OP still gets it on his TV it's not the aerial.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 22:42:04 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Wackywebs - 1 minute ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply. I've retuned 3 times and the humax doesn't find the channels.

Try a signal attenuator to reduce the signal level.

| Tue 27 Mar 2018 22:45:27 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 14 hours ago  » 

Faust - 37 seconds ago  » 

If the OP still gets it on his TV it's not the aerial.

It depends. My TV is now getting all the Freeview channels following the aerial change - good signal quality. However, my Youview box (Humax) remains marginal on COM 7 and COM 8 whereas the Panasonic PVR is having no such problems.

I'm passing the TV signal through the Youview box btw as using a splitter (as I have done for years) knocked the signal out on Youview. I have a second Youview box using the old software and that has no issues with the signal - go figure.

| Wed 28 Mar 2018 13:45:34 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I have cured the low signal quality issue with my Youview box on COM 7/8 and the solution has really surprised me.

I was round the back of the TV messing with the cables trying to find a solution to the poor signal quality. In order to move one of the cables I had to unplug my Chromecast from the USB port on the Youview box. As soon as I did this I saw the signal quality meter for BBC News HD jump from 15% to 97%.

I thought at first it might have been because I had moved a cable. However, the second I plugged the Chromecast back into the PVR the SQ dropped to 15% again. I tried using the 'wallwart' instead of the USB port but this didn't make any difference. I then moved the Chromecast from the HDMI switch (situated near the PVR) and plugged it directly into HDMI-4 on the TV, which is approx 30 inches from the PVR. The second I did this the SQ jumped straight back to 97%, so obviously Chromecast is the issue.

I'm surprised by this though as the Freeview signal is not on 2.4GHz. Still, it's a result and I'm now getting good SQ on all muxes from the Humax.

I do wonder if the DTR 2100 is not particularly well screened being in this small plastic box.

| Thu 29 Mar 2018 13:33:05 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.