My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Will Freesat get this upgrade

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

As a BT customer I have been made a very good offer to try Youview for a year - £50 for a years subscription to Youview + with a 500 gig BT/Humax PVR thrown in. At this sort of money I decided to take them up on the offer.

It appears that the Youview platform is now starting to roll out a brand new look aka SkyQ Netflix type UI. See link HERE It makes an interesting read.

This has me wondering given that the G2 boxes use HTML5 whether Freesat is likely to get a similar makeover, or is it destined to always be the 'cinderella service'.

I shall put my 2000T to one side for the next 12 months (still keeping the 1000s though) and await with interest how this new makeover for Youview will perform.

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 12:08:16 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I have wondered for some time whether Freesat are planning some momentous announcement that will surprise us all, or are simply going to wither away. Odds are equal at the moment I would say. Certainly there is no chance whatsoever that I will personally invest any more funds in the platform until they deliver a distributed network with function equal or better than SkyQ.

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 12:46:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have wondered for some time whether Freesat are planning some momentous announcement that will surprise us all, or are simply going to wither away. Odds are equal at the moment I would say. Certainly there is no chance whatsoever that I will personally invest any more funds in the platform until they deliver a distributed network with function equal or better than SkyQ.

The sad part being that I think they were the first to market with a HTML5 capable box. However, since then further development appears to have almost stood still. In the interim the opposition has not only caught up but completely eclipsed the Freesat platform.

They reckon the new Youview UI is fast and slick. The same cannot be said for the boot time, which I believe in low power standby is around 87 seconds.

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 14:16:12 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

If not the first with a HTML5 box they certainly were among the first few. It goes to prove that while the h/w & s/w are important what marks out winners is the talent and ambition of the designers and programmers. Given the bland UI those attributes were completely missing.
    My son has just moved from the BT YouView platform to SkyQ. He works in IT and reckoned that the s/w was adequate to good, but the h/w was just not up to the job. I wait with interest his views on the SkyQ box and s/w (single room at the moment).

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 14:29:13 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    If not the first with a HTML5 box they certainly were among the first few. It goes to prove that while the h/w & s/w are important what marks out winners is the talent and ambition of the designers and programmers. Given the bland UI those attributes were completely missing.
    My son has just moved from the BT YouView platform to SkyQ. He works in IT and reckoned that the s/w was adequate to good, but the h/w was just not up to the job. I wait with interest his views on the SkyQ box and s/w (single room at the moment).

Not sure if you saw the feature Watchdog did on SkyQ before Christmas? They have been having some real issues with it, with many customers complaining that the entire system keeps freezing plus many couldn't access anything at all. The Sky forums have been in meltdown.

Sky rather coyly admitted to 'having had some issues'.

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 14:35:18 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Yes I told him about those revelations. He had already signed up and simply said... let's see. He's very skilled in IT and electronics and tenacious with it, so I expect he'll be on their case if required. I look forward to hearing the outcome.
    BTW... SkyQ is big in Australia, and 1/2 the price of the UK, so they have a wide market to get feedback on and get it right. I wish them luck, Freesat needs serious competition to shake them out of their torpor (it might become a death trance).

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 20:08:08 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Yes I told him about those revelations. He had already signed up and simply said... let's see. He's very skilled in IT and electronics and tenacious with it, so I expect he'll be on their case if required. I look forward to hearing the outcome.
    BTW... SkyQ is big in Australia, and 1/2 the price of the UK, so they have a wide market to get feedback on and get it right. I wish them luck, Freesat needs serious competition to shake them out of their torpor (it might become a death trance).

I hope not. I am a freesat fan and would like them to take on the challenge.

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 21:10:51 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 

Perhaps they are simply being starved of funding. Possibly the BBC, BT, TalkTalk et al don't want the competition, which might detract from the Youview and Freeview Play offerings.

| Sun 8 Jan 2017 23:43:53 #8 |
  9. black knight

black knight

special member

I don't need any new glitz on my G2 box, just more functionality like the quietly forgotten DLNA media server for HDR G2 boxes, the ability to create folders and move files into them and the ability to sort recordings by date rather than relying on episodes being in the correct order.

Just give me that and I'd be a happy bunny overall.

| Mon 16 Jan 2017 12:47:04 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Faust - 1 week ago  » 

REPASSAC - 2 hours ago  » 

Perhaps they are simply being starved of funding. Possibly the BBC, BT, TalkTalk et al don't want the competition, which might detract from the Youview and Freeview Play offerings.

They are certainly not making money...

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/06250097/FREESAT-UK-LIMITED/companies-house-data

| Mon 16 Jan 2017 15:17:27 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.