My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Wireless Eurosport via Humax

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JerryW

Hi. I have an HDR1100s, very pleased with it so far.

I also have a subscription to Eurosport. I see that the 1100s has two usb sockets, can I use a Google Chromecast in one and then send Eurosport to the tv from (say), a surf 4 pro computer via that and the Humax?

Unfortunately the TV has a usb port but only for software updates not as a proper input. Even a cabled connection is awkward as the TV has hdmi inputs but a surf 4 pro has only minidisplay port.. perhaps a suitable cable is available but I would prefer a wireless link if poss.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 13:22:15 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I would be very surprised if this works. The box will only play back video files, mp3 music and jpeg photographs.

Why can't you add a hdmi dongle to the TV with screen casting capability and mirror the PC screen to the TV.

http://www.howtogeek.com/199565/mirror-anything-from-your-computer-to-your-tv-using-google-chromecast/

The chromecast device is hdmi not usb.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 13:32:57 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I only had Chromecast very briefly before I sent it back as surplus to requirements, but as I recall, there was a power adapter included.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 13:35:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JerryW

OK, I'm being very stupid here; somehow I had it in my head that the chromecast plugged into a usb socket but it doesn't, it uses hdmi, so that is fine.. for power, apparently it comes with a usb cable and a power adaptor.. maybe I could use one of the humax usb sockets to power it though.. ?

Supplementary question: is the Humax user manual the most useless manual ever written? Mine doesn't even have (for example) a picture of the reverse saying what inputs are there. Is there a proper user manual anywhere available for download?

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 13:41:03 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I only had Chromecast very briefly before I sent it back as surplus to requirements, but as I recall, there was a power adapter included.

It would need one as afaik only hdmi out sockets have power (to power the edid device at the remote end). A Amazon Fire TV stick has a power adaptor and afaik also has screen casting.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 13:41:40 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 minutes ago  » 

It would need one as afaik only hdmi out sockets have power (to power the edid device at the remote end). A Amazon Fire TV stick has a power adaptor and afaik also has screen casting.

Both USB ports on my Samsung TV are powered. That's what powered the Chromecast while I was trying it out. As Chromecast apparently does work with the Eurosport player, that would seem to be the simplest way for the OP to use his sub.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 13:45:40 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 3 minutes ago  » 

Both USB ports on my Samsung TV are powered.

Chromecast is a hdmi device not usb.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/tv/explore/?gclid=CIjBiJSrqcoCFcaVGwodzgEE8w

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 13:49:08 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

JerryW - 8 minutes ago  » 
    OK, I'm being very stupid here; somehow I had it in my head that the chromecast plugged into a usb socket but it doesn't, it uses hdmi, so that is fine.. for power, apparently it comes with a usb cable and a power adaptor.. maybe I could use one of the humax usb sockets to power it though.. ?
    Supplementary question: is the Humax user manual the most useless manual ever written? Mine doesn't even have (for example) a picture of the reverse saying what inputs are there. Is there a proper user manual anywhere available for download?

Are you sure your TV USB port isn't powered?

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 13:49:59 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 minute ago  » 

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/tv/explore/?gclid=CIjBiJSrqcoCFcaVGwodzgEE8w

Powered via USB.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 13:51:17 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JamesB - 1 minute ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 minute ago  » 

Powered via USB.

I know that, the OP didn't say he wanted to use the USB port on the box to simply power the Chromecast. What would be the point surely it must come with a power adaptor. In any case a cheap usb phone charger (or a usb port on the TV) would work. The usb ports on the freetime boxes aren't powered with the box in sby so would be pretty useless.

Pretty clear he thinks the device outputs video via usb, he says the USB port on his TV wouldn't work because it doesn't have media playing capability, all he needs is 5V power.

Unfortunately the TV has a usb port but only for software updates not as a proper input.

| Thu 14 Jan 2016 13:57:27 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.