My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Worth upgrading from FVP-5000T?

(26 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

I think given the box has a Chromecast built in, the necessity to have an App to drive any current or new streaming service is not there. Having said that, the convenience of using the remote to scroll through and select options from those services which do have a built in app is better; as a consequence I've definitely used my NowTV account less since I had the Aura, even though I could quite merrily cast it either using the built in Chromecast or my dongle that I've still got in place in the HDMI3.

Having said that, there really should be no good reason why one flavour of Android TV has services A B and C available whereas another flavour has only B C and D available etc. One of the pro's for me of Android TV is that it should take the onus off the box-maker to partner with the relevant services to get the features available on the TV. Maybe it will just be a matter of time. I know still some Android phones can't operate certain apps, but that has diminished hugely over time, and now if you bought an Android phone on version 10 or 11 you'd be rightly surprised if you found that that one didn't support Netflix or NowTv etc.

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 17:36:03 #11 |
  2. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 

mhargreaves - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 days ago  » 
    Possible Con No Netflix but does have Amazon Prime. If you have another source for Netflix - not an issue.

Is it likely ever to get Netflix do we know?

The question most would ask is "does it actually matter" given Netflix is already available from so many other different sources.

but when considering whether to change from my FVP-5000T, if I have to also buy another device so I can watch Netflix, that does matter!

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 18:05:39 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Assuming you've got a phone, can you not Chromecast Netflix to the Aura? So you wouldn't need to buy another device?

(Apologies if that is a stupid question, I've not had a Netflix account for a few years!)

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 18:23:40 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 days ago  » 

mhargreaves - 1 hour ago  » 
    I presume you can't convert the content on the 5000 to SD.

Yes you can
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer

Please can you explain how the file transfer FAQ for the FVP-5000T provides a method of converting HD recordings to SD?

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 18:51:45 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 

mhargreaves - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 days ago  » 
    Possible Con No Netflix but does have Amazon Prime. If you have another source for Netflix - not an issue.

Is it likely ever to get Netflix do we know?

The question most would ask is "does it actually matter" given Netflix is already available from so many other different sources.

but when considering whether to change from my FVP-5000T, if I have to also buy another device so I can watch Netflix, that does matter!

But the Aura also has Chromecast built in so you can get Netflix through that. Besides nearly every smart TV also has apps which support Netflix.

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 19:38:48 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Can you record the same amount of programmes at once as a 5000T on the Aura?

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 22:28:04 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

james_uk - 11 mins ago  » 
    Can you record the same amount of programmes at once as a 5000T on the Aura?

Yes - Both have the same number of tuners and the same restrictions due to the number of Mux being used. They both access the same terrestrial transmitters (auto tuning errors excepted)..

However the juries out on the ability to record from the same transmitter without some macro-blocking on replay and picture quality. It's not easy to compare as the problem is infrequent and hard to tell from other than an extended test.

Read the threads. Many say the Aura tuners are weak on the same signal as other Freeview kit.

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 22:50:34 #17 |
  8. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

I've gone for it! Ordered an Aura so looking forward to exploring it when it arrives!

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 10:44:56 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I've gone for it! Ordered an Aura so looking forward to exploring it when it arrives!

Which model, 1TB or 2TB?

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 12:44:26 #19 |
  10. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

1TB

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 13:50:03 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.