Worth upgrading from FVP-5000T?

(26 posts)
  1. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

Martin Liddle - 5 days ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 days ago  » 

mhargreaves - 1 hour ago  » 
    I presume you can't convert the content on the 5000 to SD.

Yes you can
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer

Please can you explain how the file transfer FAQ for the FVP-5000T provides a method of converting HD recordings to SD?

I couldn't work out how to convert HD files on the FVP-5000T to SD.

| Tue 16 Feb 2021 16:15:34 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

mhargreaves - 4 hours ago  » 
    I couldn't work out how to convert HD files on the FVP-5000T to SD.

As Graham so far hasn't answered, I will stick with my answer that it isn't possible. You can get the recordings off the box but they will be encrypted and at this point in time we don't know how to remove the encryption.

| Tue 16 Feb 2021 20:25:26 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Orpheus2000

I have a very simple set-up in my apartment. A PC with a 27” monitor, speakers and a Freeview roof aerial connection. I can connect a Humax box to the monitor and speakers and so have TV. That’s all I need. There are no other TVs, I have no need for NetFlix, Prime or whatever, I just need to be able to watch and record TV programmes. At present I have a Humax Freesat box, but the apartment block’s Satellite dish has packed up, so it’s time for me to switch to Freeview.

Can you tell me if there is any advantage in getting an Aura instead of an FVP-5000T? So far I think not, but I need advice, please.

| Sun 12 Sep 2021 19:42:08 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Orpheus2000 - 1 hour ago  » 
    so it’s time for me to switch to Freeview.
    Can you tell me if there is any advantage in getting an Aura instead of an FVP-5000T? So far I think not, but I need advice, please.

The Aura has a much faster user interface and has had a lot of development work done to eliminate a lot of the bugs. The FVP-5000T is cheaper but has a significant number of irritating features. You might want to look at a non Humax box such as the the Manhattan T-3r which seems to be well thought of by its users.

| Sun 12 Sep 2021 21:15:36 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Orpheus2000

Thank you, Martin. The Manhattan box appeals, although the Aura enables more simultaneous recordings, which is a distinct advantage when several favoured programmes are broadcast in that 21:00 - 23:00 slot and all on the same day of the week. I almost never watch live TV, so the recording aspect is important to me. Even so, the Aura is that much more expensive…..

| Tue 14 Sep 2021 7:53:34 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Orpheus2000 - 4 hours ago  » 
    The Manhattan box appeals, although the Aura enables more simultaneous recordings, which is a distinct advantage when several favoured programmes are broadcast in that 21:00 - 23:00 slot and all on the same day of the week. I almost never watch live TV, so the recording aspect is important to me. Even so, the Aura is that much more expensive…..

You have summed it up well, the Aura has more functionality but is more expensive; different people will come to different conclusions. I have an FVP-5000T and have been considering buying an Aura since it was launched but haven't yet got to the point where I feel the need to do it.

| Tue 14 Sep 2021 12:00:04 #26 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.