My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Youtube Playback Error

(45 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

grandadnohair

I can relate to the same problems everyone has mentioned.

I switched from Sky to the Humas 1010S a month ago firstly to save money, but secondly, specifically, to watch Youtube with my grandson and not have to get the laptop or phone out every time. Accordingly its really frustrating that this error has occurred.

Googling the problem I can see that folk are getting this all over the place, especially it seems on Apple kit. However my android phone is ok.

It seems clear that Youtube have caused this problem so need to fix it, however, Damien, I categorically disagree with your take that we should hit Youtube, not Humax.

If my Humax box breaks down I'll take it back to Richer Sounds, the supplier. If I buy a toaster from Sainsburys that doesn't work, I'll take it back to them. If a recall problem occurs with my car, I take it back to the dealer, not to Honda. In each case they are the supplier who are the ones carrying initial reaponsibility. In this case Humax are the supplier of Youtube OnDemand service. It may not be their fault, but they are the ones who should hit Youtube for us. Its Humax who are supplying us with Youtube.

Anyhow, let's hope it gets fixed prety darned quickly; I'm missing my weekly doses of Peppa Pig, Raa Raa, Diggers and Bin Men!

| Sun 6 Oct 2013 16:43:20 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

This is where forums are useful as we all have a different point of view.
    I've seen some pretty vitriolic attacks against Humax recently and a few others have jumped on the bandwagon and joined in. For the life of me I can't see what Humax have done wrong here, it's youtube that have changed things, but a certain group of people just seem to want to have a pop at Humax for any reason, almost as if they are bad-mouthing it.

I've just taken a look at the promotional material on the Humax website for the 1010S and, unless I'm missing something, nowhere does it mention youtube. Its core functionality is a HD freesat pvr with on-demand TV and it also offers access to apps amongst other stuff.

I agree, complaining to youtube won't bring anything because they wouldn't listen. I'm also sure Humax will have to rewrite their code to accommodate the changes youtube made, I'm unsure about hitting them though.

The humax box hasn't broken down. If I bought a humax box and specifically asked about youtube on purchase and when I got it home it wouldn't work, then yes, I could take it back to the retailer for a refund, I wouldn't be able to force the manufacturer to rewrite the code.
    If I bought a toaster that doesn't work, then sure, yes, I'd take it back. If I bought a toaster and then a month later the particular bread size I choose to use changed and wouldn't fit in it anymore then I'd be stuffed - I'd be relying on goodwill. If I bought a car and a month later it got filled up with a tank of dodgy fuel and it stopped working, then yes, I'd go back to the dealer and the dealer would say, nothing to do with us mate, someone's put dodgy fuel in, we can fix it, but it'll cost you. I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to recall a car because it doesn't work with dodgy fuel. This happened with Shell a number of years ago, they changed their fuel formula, like youtube have changed their service, and certain drivers couldn't use Shell anymore, other fuel suppliers still worked fine just as other on-demand services still work fine.

However; I don't think Humax are the supplier of the youtube on-demand service, but again that's my point of view, they definitely facilitate it just as BT or any ISP provider and freesat also do. Youtube obviously supply it.

I think it's very tricky as to where the responsibility lies, if it were a core function then yes, Humax do continuously improve and tweak during the product life, but a third party app is a different story.

I am genuinely surprised at how dependent some people are on the youtube app, I wouldn't have posted originally if I hadn't of thought Humax were being targeted unfairly in this matter. I think we all agree though that the sooner it gets fixed the better.

| Mon 7 Oct 2013 5:03:42 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

71deadcenter

i was looking for info on the problem, that's all.
    i certainly meant to attack Humax in no way whatsoever.
    having read the thread myself, i can't see any specific vitriolic attack against Humax - just a few people who'd like to know more about the nature of the YouTube problem.

| Mon 7 Oct 2013 18:32:36 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

71deadcenter - 55 minutes ago  » 
    i was looking for info on the problem, that's all.
    i certainly meant to attack Humax in no way whatsoever.
    having read the thread myself, i can't see any specific vitriolic attack against Humax - just a few people who'd like to know more about the nature of the YouTube problem.

Yes, I agree, don't know what going on with the claim that some are being overly critical of Humax.

| Mon 7 Oct 2013 19:29:21 #34 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

There's now a Service Disruption notice when you open the YouTube app.

| Tue 8 Oct 2013 7:47:23 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonegee

I've just taken a look at the promotional material on the Humax website for the 1010S and, unless I'm missing something, nowhere does it mention youtube. Its core functionality is a HD freesat pvr with on-demand TV and it also offers access to apps amongst other stuff.

But what it does say on the HDR-1000S box is... "Also with this box" "Playback of various video, audio and photo formats. Link to your home network to share media content. Link to your HUMAX TV portal to access applications such as: YouTube, social networking, user generated content, News, weather, and magazines, games, children's content and reference services.

I could have purchased a cheap and cheerful freesat box if I just wanted to watch and record freesat but I wanted the extra features advertised on the box so was willing to spend out a lot more money for those features.

In fact I did purchase a cheap and cheerful freesat box for my child's bedroom which has nearly just as much functionality as my 1000s at this stage.

To bring this up on this forum is not so much to moan about the YouTube issues and who is responsible, but more to get the issue out there for people to read about in the hope that someone somewhere will fix the problem. Isn't this the point of a forum ? members inform and post up about the problem, then HUMAX and YouTube get to hear about it and start on a remedy.

This is also not the first time there has been issues with the 1000S box and YouTube. First is wasn't working at all, then there was a "loading" text issue and now it's not working again.

| Wed 16 Oct 2013 15:24:24 #36 |
  7. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

tonegee - 24 minutes ago  » 
    and now it's not working again.

Well it's working now, and has been since the start of the weekend.

| Wed 16 Oct 2013 15:53:41 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

grandadnohair

Indeed it is, I used it yesterday!

In fact the box for the 1010S does mention YouTube. It says "Including OnDemand TV" and displays the YouTube icon. And the ad on the Freesat web site for the 1010S quotes, as the top bullet in the list of functions: "Catch Up TV - BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5 & YouTube"

Anyhow....

Its working now!

| Wed 16 Oct 2013 16:23:27 #38 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

tonegee

Yes the YouTube playback is now working, Great !

However, why whenever I press the "Back" button to navigate back to the main YouTube menu does it take me back to the TV channels ? It's so frustrating because I then have to navigate back into YouTube and re-enter my pin code.

| Mon 21 Oct 2013 14:26:20 #39 |
  10. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

tonegee - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yes the YouTube playback is now working, Great !
    However, why whenever I press the "Back" button to navigate back to the main YouTube menu does it take me back to the TV channels ? It's so frustrating because I then have to navigate back into YouTube and re-enter my pin code.

That's something YouTube thought a good idea to mess around with.
    The is a solution though, just press the stop button instead of the back button for now.

| Mon 21 Oct 2013 16:00:40 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.