My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

DVD player?

(7 posts)
  1. Davy

Davy

special member

I was going through some old stuff for my laptop I had forgotten about. One of them is a portable small DVD player that just plugs into a USB port and plays or records DVDs from either a laptop or desktop PC.
    What would happen if I did the same and plugged it into my 1010s? Would it play or would it bugger up the system completely?
    Just a thought. It either gets the power to work from the USB or if that doesn't work, has to have 2 subs plugged into it.

| Wed 21 May 2014 16:28:25 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It won't work, the box doesn't have the drivers for an optical usb device. Not even sure if this box will only work with USB mass storage devices as a media player like the usual Humax Freeview+ pvrs. .

| Wed 21 May 2014 16:38:18 #2 |
  3. Grime

Grime

Try ripping your DVDs, *** ****** works well doing this, and removes copywrite protection too (ahem) then convert to .ts as Graham advises on the suggestions made to me Then copy to a portable USB hdd.

Admin edit: Name of product removed.

| Thu 22 May 2014 18:06:11 #3 |
  4. Davy

Davy

special member

I now rip my DVDs to USB and copy them on to the hard drive of the 1010s. As I own the said DVDs, I am allowed by law to make personal copies and would have done anyway. USB sticks hopefully will last a lot longer than DVDs or CDs ....

| Tue 27 May 2014 14:44:59 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Davy - 1 hour ago  » 
    I now rip my DVDs to USB and copy them on to the hard drive of the 1010s. As I own the said DVDs, I am allowed by law to make personal copies and would have done anyway.

As I understand it - and stand to be corrected as I am no legal expert.

No you are not, well not until 1st June, but there are still restrictions....

If a DVD contains copy protection then it will still be illegal to remove that protection, but if said copy protection is too restrictive, consumers can raise a complaint with the Secretary of State.

| Tue 27 May 2014 16:03:11 #5 |
  6. Davy

Davy

special member

I stand corrected, but I will still make copies of my own personal DVDs regardless of the stupid law that says it is illegal. I paid for it and I own it outright so I can do what I want with it.

| Wed 28 May 2014 22:38:47 #6 |
  7. Grime

Grime

I agree with your sentiment Davy. But factual: by copying the recorded work to another medium is strictly speaking illegal I believe. (although I know of no-one who has ever been prosecuted) It's even technically illegal to lend people DVDs:

daft really

| Wed 28 May 2014 23:36:06 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.