My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Full Freetime England & Wales Only

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

acppca27

ITV player is disabled on all ITV channels in Northern Ireland even though utv/itv1 is the only regional channel. Itv hd is also removed.

I think this is the same in Scotland.

Work around is a English postcode, but you lose UTV/STV from freesat. You can get UTV/STV on non-freesat but it takes 11 key presses to get to get there with a Humax HDR-1000S

| Sat 28 Sep 2013 0:12:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

It is the same in Scotland. This condition has been known since the box was first announced and Freesat appear to be disinterested in doing anything about it, and any consequent loss of sales clearly does not concern them. Simply stating that it is down to a contractual dispute between ITV and the regional broadcasters. I enquired of STV and they don't seem in any hurry to put their STVPlayer or STV HD on Freesat.
    I was considering the purchase of 3 of the new HB1000S machines to replace SKY boxes and network them to my HDR1000S. I see little merit in that now given this situation plus a virtually useless media player and no firm outlook on a professional looking client/server facilty HB/HDR.

| Sat 28 Sep 2013 10:34:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

If you look here you will see that you in NI are at least going to get HD on Freesat...
    http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/utv-to-go-hd-on-freesat/

| Sat 28 Sep 2013 11:06:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

sorbiegunnerou

Pollensa1946 - 3 days ago  » 
    If you look here you will see that you in NI are at least going to get HD on Freesat...
    http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/utv-to-go-hd-on-freesat/

There is HD on freesat in Scotland as well at least from the BBC also from ITV in the Border TV area.
    Unfortunately if you put an English post code into the box you can't get BBC1 Scotland HD or BBC2 Scotland HD. Although you can get Both BBC1 Sc, and BBC2 Sc. standard definition.
    It's got nothing to do with contractual agreements in the Border area because my old Foxsat HD box gives me all the correct (Scottish) BBC channels as well as ITV HD and BBC iplayer and ITVplayer with my real (Scottish) post code.
    If it is in breach of contract then why would Freesat allow Humax to sell boxes that are breaching those contracts?
    It doesn't make sense.

| Tue 1 Oct 2013 14:23:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My comment was made in the context of NI getting Ulster TV HD, whereas there is no current plan for STV HD on Freesat.
    The breach of contract (more an agreement between ITV/STV) claim is one that is made by Freesat, who presumably know. As to why that was not enforced in G1 boxes, but is now fully enforced on G2, I have no idea. Maybe STV caught up with what was happening and cried foul.

| Tue 1 Oct 2013 14:41:34 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

sorbiegunnerou

Pollensa1946 - 39 minutes ago  » 
    My comment was made in the context of NI getting Ulster TV HD, whereas there is no current plan for STV HD on Freesat.
    The breach of contract (more an agreement between ITV/STV) claim is one that is made by Freesat, who presumably know. As to why that was not enforced in G1 boxes, but is now fully enforced on G2, I have no idea. Maybe STV caught up with what was happening and cried foul.

But imy situation has nothing to do with STV. STV do not broadcast in my postcode area. I get ITV Border how can STV have an agreement to stop ITV serving an area which is an ITV area and not an STV area. I don't believe it, I think it is yet another badly implemented function on the HDR 1000S.

| Tue 1 Oct 2013 15:26:51 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sorbiegunnerou - 4 minutes ago  » 

But imy situation has nothing to do with STV. STV do not broadcast in my postcode area. I get ITV Border how can STV have an agreement to stop ITV serving an area which is an ITV area and not an STV area. I don't believe it, I think it is yet another badly implemented function on the HDR 1000S.

I completely fail to follow your argument. Allocation of channels by postcode is down to a database controlled by Freesat and transmitted to your box when you do a Freesat tune from the Freesat home transponder. The box is doing exactly what it should. If you want to allocate different channels to your postcode you need to contact Freesat, who I imagine are simply following what the broadcasters insist on.

| Tue 1 Oct 2013 15:36:06 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

sorbiegunnerou

grahamlthompson - 1 minute ago  » 

I completely fail to follow your argument. Allocation of channels by postcode is down to a database controlled by Freesat and transmitted to your box when you do a Freesat tune from the Freesat home transponder. The box is doing exactly what it should. If you want to allocate different channels to your postcode you need to contact Freesat, who I imagine are simply following what the broadcasters insist on.

then please tell me how many databases there are and why they are not all the same. Entering a postcode on one freesat HD box should not (logically or reasonably speaking) result in a different set of channels from those you get from entering the exact same post code on a different freesat HD box. One box delivers exactly what I would expect to get given my geographic location the other one doesn't. Both boxes are made by Humax. If the broadcasters are insisting theon HDR 1000s recieving the wrong channels(which would be strange behaviour really) then why do the same broadcasters allow the correct channels to be recieved by the Foxsat HD?
    I really can't see why you can't see a problem here or why you can't understand that someone might not be happy at not getting the channels appropriate to their geographical area.

| Tue 1 Oct 2013 15:56:14 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sorbiegunnerou - 41 seconds ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 minute ago  » 

then please tell me how many databases there are and why they are not all the same. Entering a postcode on one freesat HD box should not (logically or reasonably speaking) result in a different set of channels from those you get from entering the exact post code on a different freesat HD box. One box delivers exactly what I would expect to get given my geographic location the other one doesn't. Both boxes are made by Humax. If the broadcasters are insisting theon HDR 1000s recieving the wrong channels(which would be strange behaviour really) then why do the same broadcasters allow the correct channels to be recieved by the Foxsat HD?
    I really can't see why you can't see a problem here or why you can't understand that someone might not be happy at not getting the channels appropriate to their geographical area.

Freesat have two. One for the first generation Freesat boxes and a second for the 2nd generation <freetime> boxes. If there were any other makes of G2 box they would behave identically.

As I already said you need to ask Freesat why the channel allocation differs (it's possible it's a codeing error in the data).

There's one obvious difference. The G2 epg has no channel 999

| Tue 1 Oct 2013 16:00:05 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

sorbiegunnerou

Freesat don't give an email address on their website and their premium rate phone number doesn't appear to have geographical alternative. However the Help page (www.freesat.co.uk/help) did provide the following FAQs when I typed 'itv player postcode' into the search field.

Can I get ITV Player on Freesat?

ITV Player is available on all Freesat HD with Freetime and Freesat+ HD with Freetime boxes, as well as selected Freesat HD and Freesat+ HD boxes. Look for the logo alongside your box or TV here.

Can I get ITV HD on Freesat?

ITV HD is available to viewers in England, Wales and those viewers in the Border TV region on channel 119.
    Scottish viewers of STV cannot currently recieve ITV HD although STV HD will launch in April 2014
    Viewers in the Cannel Islands can watch ITV HD by pressing the red button from ITV when prompted on screen. Only certain programmes from ITV HD will be available to viewers in the Channel Islands.

So all that backs up exactly what I have been stating that the situation should be, but of course it isn't like that.

As for who is at fault I don't really care. As a consumer I expect the products I buy to what they are advertised to do.
    Humax or Freesat?
    Who cares?
    Just get it fixed please.

| Tue 1 Oct 2013 17:35:08 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.